• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

We have a customer who comes into our shop very very regularly (like twice a day). He has - difficulties, physically, seems mental acute enough but can't easily move his hands or arms and has no strength in his fingers. And EVERY TIME he comes in, he struggles at the till for about five minutes to get his wallet out of his (tight, and zippered) jacket pocket. In fact, he's asked me to help him before now (I called for a male assistant, I was not going there, just in case it was a fetish).

Fair enough, we have customers will all manner of physical disabilities. But WHY does he always have his wallet in the pocket? If he knows he's coming into the shop, why not get the wallet out in advance to mitigate the five minute wait at the till for everyone in the queue behind him?

We have a customer who comes into our shop very very regularly (like twice a day). He has - difficulties, physically, seems mental acute enough but can't easily move his hands or arms and has no strength in his fingers. And EVERY TIME he comes in, he struggles at the till for about five minutes to get his wallet out of his (tight, and zippered) jacket pocket. In fact, he's asked me to help him before now (I called for a male assistant, I was not going there, just in case it was a fetish).

Fair enough, we have customers will all manner of physical disabilities. But WHY does he always have his wallet in the pocket? If he knows he's coming into the shop, why not get the wallet out in advance to mitigate the five minute wait at the till for everyone in the queue behind him?
He might also be lonely. Needs to get his dose of human contact every day.

we have customers will all manner of physical disabilities. But WHY does he always have his wallet in the pocket? If he knows he's coming into the shop, why not get the wallet out in advance to mitigate the five minute wait at the till for everyone in the queue behind him?
I have a differing view to this. I work with people who have cerebral palsy (which may be what your customer has) and other motor functioning problems. Imo, they have every right to be treated as others and shown that respect.

I wait a long time (to me) for some people to complete a task that would take me a minute to do. I do not take the task over for them though every ounce of me fights against the urge. Truly, if you do not do what you are able to do, you lose that ability. I only assist if I'm asked by the person.

I repeat to my self, "patience, this is what I need to learn". It is a very tough lesson.

And he might drop his wallet before he gets to your store. As you mention, he has little dexterity with his hands, he might not be able to pick up his wallet without help.

He might also be lonely. Needs to get his dose of human contact every day.
I would agree with this, but he doesn't like to communicate or chat. Not ASD I don't think, but avoids eye contact or casual talk.

I have a differing view to this. I work with people who have cerebral palsy (which may be what your customer has) and other motor functioning problems. Imo, they have every right to be treated as others and shown that respect.

I wait a long time (to me) for some people to complete a task that would take me a minute to do. I do not take the task over for them though every ounce of me fights against the urge. Truly, if you do not do what you are able to do, you lose that ability. I only assist if I'm asked by the person.

I repeat to my self, "patience, this is what I need to learn". It is a very tough lesson.

And he might drop his wallet before he gets to your store. As you mention, he has little dexterity with his hands, he might not be able to pick up his wallet without help.
Absolutely. But surely he owes it to others in the shop not to make his wallet inaccessible to the extent that he needs a shop worker to get it out for him? He could put it in the carrier bag he always carries, rather than in a tight zip up pocket?

And I don't think it's cerebral palsy. He's noticeably worsened over the years and there is some talk that it's alcohol related.

Absolutely. But surely he owes it to others in the shop not to make his wallet inaccessible to the extent that he needs a shop worker to get it out for him? He could put it in the carrier bag he always carries, rather than in a tight zip up pocket?

And I don't think it's cerebral palsy. He's noticeably worsened over the years and there is some talk that it's alcohol related.
I, personally would have only opened the zipper for him as I would have the same question as to his intent.

I, personally would have only opened the zipper for him as I would have the same question as to his intent.
I got one of the lads over to do it. Not only the 'fetish' angle but also I didn't want to leave myself open to a charge of 'inappropriate behaviour/touching'. Easy for someone to quietly say 'could you help me get this out of my pocket' and then shout 'YOU'RE TOUCHING MY WILLY!' Although, where I work, a shout like this wouldn't get you any more than a shrug...

I got one of the lads over to do it. Not only the 'fetish' angle but also I didn't want to leave myself open to a charge of 'inappropriate behaviour/touching'. Easy for someone to quietly say 'could you help me get this out of my pocket' and then shout 'YOU'RE TOUCHING MY WILLY!' Although, where I work, a shout like this wouldn't get you any more than a shrug...
Once I was at a crowded outdoor festival with my niece and her brothers. As we were navigating the crowd, a male kid (someone in late teens early twenties) walked past me and loudly proclaimed "ma'am you just grabbed my penis!". He, of course was with two female friends.

Immediate in my mind was WTF! Do you know the work I do? If anyone believes you, it could affect my job. Really, in front of my niece and nephews! I also recognized that he was being a dumbass trying to impress his friends.

As quickly, I responded with a laugh and said "Please, I couldn't find it if I tried". He and his friends laughed. Thank goodness I didn't go with an indignant "what are you talking about". That might have drawn another stupid comment from him.

Twitter:
harry x @harryjonesxx
HIGHLY obsessed with the woman feigning a panic attack to get into the fully booked airport lounge. The hyperventilation has indeed stopped now she’s sat with a glass of prosecco in her hand reading a magazine x

I worked on the railways and to start with when I was a conductor checking tickets I would not bother with a single woman in a compartment on her own for that very reason. Not that women have willies, although times have now changed, I mean the potential for an accusation. I wouldn't even bother with any females alone or in a small group unless there were other passengers around.

Another conductor I knew asked to see the tickets of two young ladies in a single compartment. They had no money and no tickets. As the next stop was a main line station, London Victoria, he called ahead for the British Transport Police to meet the train, which they did. The two young ladies then said the conductor was lurid and had propositioned them in exchange for free travel which they refused.

A rule on the railways said to me often by other train crew when first employed, they will always believe the accuser and not the accused so be careful.

Between the time of the accusations and it going to court before the case was dropped over a year later, by the CPS, he'd lost his job and his marriage broke up mainly due to the stress. The girls eventually admitted they had lied. No action was taken against them. This conductor had worked as a conductor on the railways for over 30 years. He won his industrial tribunal but at what cost? He had at the time been married for around 35 years. I saw him a few years later and he was a broken man aged 60 plus living in one room in a shared house. He had done nothing wrong except not being wise enough to be careful and intelligent. He had trusted the system he was working on behalf of to protect him. Fool, albeit an innocent fool.

Last edited:
That's appalling! That poor man, :( Just doing his job and not to be believed. Women who do that make it worse for everyone.

Someone I know was getting on her high horse during the 'me to' thing. The little hypocrite had not long before told me about how she used to like hiking her skirt up during lessons to embarrass one of our classmates who had a strong religious belief. No doubt if he'd caught her behind the bike sheds for a bit of a fumble she'd soon have complained. Oh don't misunderstand me I'm not meaning to diminish the 'me to' concerns there was a genuine need to bring it out into the open, but not all of it was kept in perspective and there was much jumping onto the bandwagon.

I think it's been going on for a long time.
My Father said that his Mother told him to never get into a railway carriage if there was a lone female there.

I worked on the railways and to start with when I was a conductor checking tickets I would not bother with a single woman in a compartment on her own for that very reason. Not that women have willies, although times have now changed, I mean the potential for an accusation. I wouldn't even bother with any females alone or in a small group unless there were other passengers around.

Another conductor I knew asked to see the tickets of two young ladies in a single compartment. They had no money and no tickets. As the next stop was a main line station, London Victoria, he called ahead for the British Transport Police to meet the train, which they did. The two young ladies then said the conductor was lurid and had propositioned them in exchange for free travel which they refused.

A rule on the railways said to me often by other train crew when first employed, they will always believe the accuser and not the accused so be careful.

Between the time of the accusations and it going to court before the case was dropped over a year later, by the CPS, he'd lost his job and his marriage broke up mainly due to the stress. The girls eventually admitted they had lied. No action was taken against them. This conductor had worked as a conductor on the railways for over 30 years. He won his industrial tribunal but at what cost? He had at the time been married for around 35 years. I saw him a few years later and he was a broken man aged 60 plus living in one room in a shared house. He had done nothing wrong except not being wise enough to be careful and intelligent. He had trusted the system he was working on behalf of to protect him. Fool, albeit an innocent fool.
I travel on Greater Anglia, between London Liverpool Street and the east coast and the ticket inspectors always hunt in pairs these days, sometimes in more than pairs. I expect this is for some degree of self protection given the current state of society. There always appears to be someone who wants to have a pop because they have no ticket and i’m sure if the ticket collectors were on their own it could develop into a violent situation.

Poor guy! The system is broken. Those girls should have been prosecuted and made to pay reparations.

That's appalling! That poor man, :( Just doing his job and not to be believed. Women who do that make it worse for everyone.

Someone I know was getting on her high horse during the 'me to' thing. The little hypocrite had not long before told me about how she used to like hiking her skirt up during lessons to embarrass one of our classmates who had a strong religious belief. No doubt if he'd caught her behind the bike sheds for a bit of a fumble she'd soon have complained. Oh don't misunderstand me I'm not meaning to diminish the 'me to' concerns there was a genuine need to bring it out into the open, but not all of it was kept in perspective and there was much jumping onto the bandwagon.
This 'metoo' movement has gone over the edge, if you ask me.
Suddenly everyone is a victim, entitled, privileged, whatever you want to call it.
In past years, you had a job, supported yourself and your family, and got on with it.
I don't mean to diminish true victims either, but today there are many schemes going on, and they are getting away with it.

This 'metoo' movement has gone over the edge, if you ask me.
Suddenly everyone is a victim, entitled, privileged, whatever you want to call it.
In past years, you had a job, supported yourself and your family, and got on with it.
I don't mean to diminish true victims either, but today there are many schemes going on, and they are getting away with it.
This is why 'innocent until proved guilty' is so important.

That's pre supposing there were jobs that paid enough to allow you to do that. Nowadays that's not always the case. More than that I can't comment on without going into the boards 'no go' topic of politics.

I believe that is what most people would like to be able to do. Jobs that paid enough for that to be a reality.

That's pre supposing there were jobs that paid enough to allow you to do that. Nowadays that's not always the case. More than that I can't comment on without going into the boards 'no go' topic of politics.

I believe that is what most people would like to be able to do. Jobs that paid enough for that to be a reality.
I must admit that I expected my first wife to stay at home with the 4 kids, same as my mum did when we were growing up. I still believe that one parent should be there to see the kids off to school, be there to greet them when they come home, and be immediately on hand to respond to any emergency. It meant I worked 7 days most weeks to cover the bills, pay for holidays and Christmas etc.
My second wife lost her first husband when they were in their forties and the house was paid off as a result. When we married 10 years later it took me another 12 or 13 years and a cancer scare to get her to take early retirement.
Our income dropped by half but we cut back and get by on one salary, mine.
Don’t know if that would stretch to a younger wife and a new family but that is never going to Happen as we are in a good place.

I still believe that one parent should be there to see the kids off to school, be there to greet them when they come home, and be immediately on hand to respond to any emergency.
So do I! Doesn't matter which one. When my boys were little I stayed at home. I'm so glad I was able to at a time when most mothers did just that so there was a good neighbourhood feel. This meant we were also on hand to interact with the old folk who lived on our road, run errands for them, get advice, and so on, so they didn't feel isolated. Nobody was making us feel bad for wanting to do just that. We felt we were doing a valuable job.

Money was tight but then I had the time to go round all the supermarkets getting the best deals and other money saving stuff like that. True a divorce has seen me considerably worse off than my ex in my old age but I don't regret it. Having to be involved in 'career progression' would have meant my missing so much and some things money can't buy. I feel so very sorry for the generations coming after me who didn't get that choice because of financal concerns. I would have hated having to leave my boys with a childminder.

This is why body-cams are such a good thing.

This is why body-cams are such a good thing.
You'd think so, but there may be legal loopholes to invalidate submission of such evidence.
It's a great tragedy that the world has turned out this way, when people should be decent and upstanding and only ever doing the right thing.
Certain parts of our laws need to be changed. They could start with what Coal suggested above - assume innocence until proven guilty.

You'd think so, but there may be legal loopholes to invalidate submission of such evidence.
It's a great tragedy that the world has turned out this way, when people should be decent and upstanding and only ever doing the right thing.
Certain parts of our laws need to be changed. They could start with what Coal suggested above - assume innocence until proven guilty.
They may not be admissable as evidence, but just knowing you are being recorded can prevent some of this accusatory behaviour. After all, the person being filmed does not know what purpose the video may have.

Trolling for monkeys? Or ... ? :dunno:

This woman was seen walking a banana on a lead in Taunton.

TauntonWalkingBanana-2207.jpg
FULL STORY: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/woman-seen-walking-banana-lead-7306924

I was out for a walk at lunchtime today and was just heading back to work when two women attracted my attention. They pointed to a man coming towards me on the path and suggested not to go near him as he had a massive knife. He did indeed and was brandishing it in the air. One of them was talking to the police and I heard sirens a bit later so hopefully he got lifted before he hurt himself or anyone else. It is a good job those two women were there as I may have got quite close without noticing as it is normally a nice place with friendly people. :freak:

Back