• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

Someone who I saw on an almost daily basis as a child was "The Edgware Walker".

Early 1980's North West London.

Everyone had seen him, a man who walked many miles a day, often just in underpants and trainers, sometimes in a beige jacket and brown trousers.
Clutching a carrier bag.

The commonly held belief was that he had been a brain surgeon, whose wife and child had died in a car crash whilst he was driving them.
As a sort of penance mixed with mourning, he would walk the route of the drive every day, in all weathers.
Whether that was the true story of why he walked, I do not know.
(The film below suggests that there was another reason.)

Lee Kern made a short documentary about him some years ago, which was broadcast on Channel Four.
It's available on Vimeo.

EPG6qzpWAAE24NS.jpg

1665244968717.png

US tourist arrested after smashing ancient Roman sculptures in response to not seeing Pope at Vatican
It will take 300 hours to repair the two ancient busts and cost €15,000

A disgruntled American tourist hoping to see the Pope while visiting the Vatican lashed out in disappointment by smashing ancient Roman sculptures.

On Wednesday a man described as an American tourist – his identity has not been released – demanded to see the head of the Catholic Church, according to Roman newspaper Il Messaggero.

After being informed that this vacation wish could not be granted, the man reportedly took off in a fury and snatched one of the ancient Roman busts that line the wall of the Chiaramonti Museum and dropped it to the floor.

View attachment 59688

US tourist arrested after smashing ancient Roman sculptures in response to not seeing Pope at Vatican

A disgruntled American tourist hoping to see the Pope while visiting the Vatican lashed out in disappointment by smashing ancient Roman sculptures.

On Wednesday a man described as an American tourist – his identity has not been released – demanded to see the head of the Catholic Church, according to Roman newspaper Il Messaggero.

After being informed that this vacation wish could not be granted, the man reportedly took off in a fury and snatched one of the ancient Roman busts that line the wall of the Chiaramonti Museum and dropped it to the floor.
I hope that he enjoys the interior of an Italian jail for a good long time.

View attachment 59688

At least they weren't new.

Here is an account of the Brian Catling / film-eating incident. It was documented in a book recording a performance at Swedenborg House in 2010.
Published in 2012 by the Swedenborg Archive and Book Works as part of a series, Several Clouds Colliding by Brian Catling and Iain Sinclair is a handsome book that constitutes “part research document, part lecture transcript and part archive intervention” for an exhibition and performance by Catling and Sinclair in 2010. ...

How the various parts of the book relate to the exhibition that Catling and Sinclair organized at Swedenborg House is not clear, although the book stands on its own very well. But the book does document the performance they enacted on February 17, 2010 there. As the photographs of the faces attending the Swedenborgian Congress of 1910 were projected, Iain Sinclair took photographs of them with a disposable film camera, which Brian Catling then smashed with a crystal ball so that he could eat the film. Whether the ingestion was consummated or metaphoric is not noted. ...
SOURCE: https://sebald.wordpress.com/category/brian-catling/

Formication, tactile hallucinations, delusional parasitosis, and Morgellons: Enough to make your skin crawl
Jonathan S. Dowben MD1 Peter C. Kowalski MD2 Norman L. Keltner EdD, CRNP
Perspect Psychiatr Care. 2017;1–2

Faith, an 18-year-old Caucasian female self-proclaimed prophetess from a rural southern Appalachian town, in her final year of home schooling, was brought by her pastor father and other family members to the large University Hospital not far from their home for evaluation.

Things had gone just “too far,” even for father accustomed to people “speaking in tongues,” handling rattlesnakes, and even drinking strychnine as a test of faith. Sunday, the day before Faith was admitted to the hospital, she had disrupted the morning church service her father was leading when she jumped up onto the church dais, grabbed a ceremonial knife that lay on the altar, and stated that she had been “seized by the devil.” She then attempted to sever the arteries in both of her wrists and arms in order to “let out the demons, rats, and other vermin,” which had taken up home in her body. She was emergently treated at the Community Hospital ED in her hometown, before being remanded back to the care of her family for transportation to receive more definitive treatment at the University Hospital.

In her initial interview by the treatment team the following Monday morning, she informed the attending physician that she “knew as a
prophetess” that he was “possessed by demons” as evidenced by his bow tie and suit coat, trappings of clothes that are “known only to be worn by charlatans and others lacking in true healing powers.”

Faith, when queried about the lacerations on her arms and wrists, did elaborate that beginning about 7–10 days before she cut herself that
she had initially felt insects crawling on her skin that later transformed into mice, which then morphed into rats that burrowed into her body.
These events occurred when she was reading the writings of the apostles out loud and sleeping only a few hours per night in order
to keep a vigil against demons that lurk in the “small hours of the night.” She elaborated that she sometimes heard the “lustful voices of
slutty women” encouraging her to “fornicate with heathens” so that she “could purify them through copulation.” These sinful voices were
followed by the retorts of “nasty, evil men” condemning her to eternal hell if she should act on the suggestions of these “devil possessed
women.” She reported needing to hit her head repeatedly with a bible to “make the voices stop.”

Formication, tactile hallucinations, delusional parasitosis, and Morgellons: Enough to make your skin crawl
Jonathan S. Dowben MD1 Peter C. Kowalski MD2 Norman L. Keltner EdD, CRNP
Perspect Psychiatr Care. 2017;1–2

Faith, an 18-year-old Caucasian female self-proclaimed prophetess from a rural southern Appalachian town, in her final year of home schooling, was brought by her pastor father and other family members to the large University Hospital not far from their home for evaluation.

Things had gone just “too far,” even for father accustomed to people “speaking in tongues,” handling rattlesnakes, and even drinking strychnine as a test of faith. Sunday, the day before Faith was admitted to the hospital, she had disrupted the morning church service her father was leading when she jumped up onto the church dais, grabbed a ceremonial knife that lay on the altar, and stated that she had been “seized by the devil.” She then attempted to sever the arteries in both of her wrists and arms in order to “let out the demons, rats, and other vermin,” which had taken up home in her body. She was emergently treated at the Community Hospital ED in her hometown, before being remanded back to the care of her family for transportation to receive more definitive treatment at the University Hospital.

In her initial interview by the treatment team the following Monday morning, she informed the attending physician that she “knew as a
prophetess” that he was “possessed by demons” as evidenced by his bow tie and suit coat, trappings of clothes that are “known only to be worn by charlatans and others lacking in true healing powers.”

Faith, when queried about the lacerations on her arms and wrists, did elaborate that beginning about 7–10 days before she cut herself that
she had initially felt insects crawling on her skin that later transformed into mice, which then morphed into rats that burrowed into her body.
These events occurred when she was reading the writings of the apostles out loud and sleeping only a few hours per night in order
to keep a vigil against demons that lurk in the “small hours of the night.” She elaborated that she sometimes heard the “lustful voices of
slutty women” encouraging her to “fornicate with heathens” so that she “could purify them through copulation.” These sinful voices were
followed by the retorts of “nasty, evil men” condemning her to eternal hell if she should act on the suggestions of these “devil possessed
women.” She reported needing to hit her head repeatedly with a bible to “make the voices stop.”
Surely not Morgellons. That's apparently a real physical disease. See https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-or-delusional-parasitosis.15248/post-2214540 .

1667505419287.png

A fortune teller, an acquaintance of President Yoon and First Lady, is under fire for saying in a recent YouTube video that the Itaewon tragedy is a "good opportunity."

"When our children are sacrificed, it should be on such a major scale so the world pays attention to us."

There used to be an old lady who lived on our estate, everybody knew her as the cat woman as she’d push lots of cats around in a pram. She once shouted across the road to my dad that he was “a bloody werewolf” and kept repeating it, on another occasion she called him a naughty little boy. He did have a big bushy beard at the time hence the werewolf, not sure on the naughty little boy comment though.

For years we’d regularly see a man in town (last saw him in the late 90s I think) and he always had the same clothes on - a pale blue shirt tucked into navy blue trousers. They always looked clean and well ironed and fitted him well. He didn't look at all scruffy in any way, but come rain or shine, no matter how cold it got, he’d still just be out wearing the same shirt and trousers. I never once saw him with a jumper or coat even in snowy weather.

A Rotterdam icon has died in a "subway accident".

1670183219547.png 1670183422687.png 1670183530204.png

A Rotterdam icon is no more: Zekic 'Jacques' Slobodan died recently after a subway accident. He was a striking figure in the Rotterdam street scene, with his white-dyed coat and black-dyed hair. 'The Rotterdam Rod Stewart,' he was also called. He was God, he told himself, and strolled the city as a minister. "I collect evidence that we live in hell here on earth," he said.
Jacques leaves behind a widow, Dragica, who still lives in their home on Volmarijn Street, said retired pastor Herman IJzerman, affiliated with the neighborhood pastorate that housed next door to the couple on the street. "I heard from Riet Hoste, somewhat the mother of the street, that he had passed away. Fell in front of the subway at Dijkzigt, pushed or jumped. We'll leave that in the middle."
Reverend IJzerman did not have personal contact with Slobodan. "Some residents did, especially about his and the neighbor's cats, which he loved. Together with Riet, I visited his widow. The upstairs house was rather chaotic, full of books and pamphlets. Dragica was upset and affected."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Side streets of the city
In the house, he found many writings by Slobodan. "He was always walking through the city, basically as a messenger. He had notes on the cosmos, evolution and creation. Also cited Dante. Actually, he had a theoretical universe in writing."
The pastor also discovered a clear mission for after his death. "He felt it was important that his message continue to be spread after he was gone. Actually, according to him, we are all ambassadors of heaven and hell. Heaven is the good in society and should be cherished. The bad is hell, which we should punish. He felt we have a responsibility to society."
He was a peer in a way, IJzerman says. "He walked around town like an old-fashioned pastor. And he wasn't just anybody either. Slobodan was a striking figure of the city, thinking hard about life. And he did so from the city's side streets, not the avenues and canals that define the city's dominant narrative."

'I gather evidence that we live in hell here on earth'

De Rotterdammert, a website that paid tributes to striking figures from the city, interviewed Slobodan in 2014:
"Are you ready for the big shock?" Jacques moves his chin to his chest and stares at me just over the top of his sunglasses. Before continuing his story, he takes a good look around. We are in the Central Library on the fourth floor next to the copier. He puts a small bill in front of me. "Just read carefully what it says," he says. 'Embassy of Heaven in Hell,' the bill reads. "Yaaa, you read it right!" Jacques laughs loudly. There are no teeth in his mouth.
"Do you really understand what it says?" he asks. "If you believe in God, you must also believe there is a hell. I collect evidence that we live in hell here on earth. It's the first time euthanasia has been legalized. That proves we live in hell, doesn't it?" He shakes his head. It remains silent for a moment as he looks at a newspaper clipping about euthanasia.

At home everywhere and nowhere
Jacques was born Zekic Slobodan (call sign Jacques) in Yugoslavia on August 26 (year unknown) and after many wanderings ended up in Paris. There he lived for six years, then thirty years ago went to work in Rotterdam as a heating repairman. Together with his wife, he lingered in this city.
After so many years, he feels at home nowhere and everywhere, he says. Jacques often has to search for the right words. "I taught myself Dutch," he says. "I can read very well in Dutch, but because I don't talk to people much, I don't speak the language very well." Jacques says he is a true autodidact and is not modest about it. "I can write very well and also make beautiful paintings, which I taught myself by reading a lot about it here in the library."
Most Rotterdammers can effortlessly make out Jacques. Long, white-painted leather jacket with metal plates and studs attached. Black-painted hair and always sunglasses on his nose, even when the sun is not shining. Leather gloves, where metal triangles are attached to the fingertips, making them look like nails.

Man with a mission
His clothing is a bit disheveled and held together with red, thick yarn. The plastic bag that invariably accompanies his standard gear is reinforced with tape. In that pouch, I gradually come to realize, is his work. That work means everything to him.
"I wear these clothes to keep people at bay and also somewhat out of self-protection. I look very dangerous, don't I, with all that metal on my clothes? People don't dare, because I look like this, to talk to me so quickly." Jacques is very busy with work and therefore has no time for friends, or to just chat with anyone. He has an important job to do and that comes first in his life.

Jacques fumbles a bit in his purse and takes out a piece of paper. He gets up and walks over to the copier and makes a printout of it. "Here you go," he says as he hands over the copy. It's a letter from Riagg Rijnmond.

God Proof
Dear one,
Today I was visited, signed, by Mr. Z. Slobodan. At Mr. Slobodan's request, I am writing the following:
Mr. Slobodan is God, he believes.
I cannot prove the contrary, nor that he is God.
Mr. Slobodan did manage to convince me through self-study that the end of the world may be near.
His conclusions are not improbable and impossible.
Sincerely,
Mr. Rik A.
Social psychiatric nurse

Jacques looks enough. For him, this is irrefutable proof that he is God.
It all started when he was thirty. Jacques began to feel more and more strongly that he was God, but initially thought he had gone mad. The powerful feeling continued to intensify over time. Jacques could no longer escape it: he was God. "To have proof that I was not crazy, I went to the Riagg to discuss my feelings with someone there. There they could not prove that I am not God. I asked if they would put that on paper as proof."
Not that Jacques now tells everyone that he is God, because he is far too busy for that. "I'm working every day here at the library. I collect all kinds of articles and books, because it is very important to collect information about the world. There are a lot of problems, like the acidification of the oceans. And only smart people can do something about that."

The pope doesn't understand the Bible
That is why Jacques dives into the library every day to gather enough information to solve world problems. Of the articles, texts from books, but also comics that he finds important, he makes copies which are then neatly stored in his bag. At home he studies them again carefully.
But it doesn't just stop at reading other people's articles and books. He is also writing a book himself. "This will help people understand the Bible better. Hardly anyone really understands what it says. Not even the pope."
Jacques realizes that it is difficult to prove to people that he is God. "No one has ever really seen God, nor do miracles take place. People have to think for themselves first and solve problems themselves."

A huge flood
Therefore, he has not yet intervened in disasters plaguing the earth. But Jacques believes that soon, when exactly he does not know, there will be a huge flood that will claim many lives. When that day arrives, Jacques is prepared and all the information he has gathered allows him to intervene and save humanity.
Jacques wobbles impatiently on his chair, reaches for his bag, takes out a Fisherman's Friend and puts it in his mouth. He gets up and walks for the last time to the copier where he pulls his library card from the slot. "I have to leave now. I have a lot of work to do. Saturday is always a busy day."
He walks toward the escalator, waves for a moment and goes back to the second floor. There, many newspapers and magazines are still waiting for him from which he must extract information. Because Jacques insists, "If you don't read anything, you don't know anything."

'He was a sign of connection between heaven and earth'
Since there was actually no money for a funeral, a modest funeral was arranged in cooperation with Dela. Reverend IJzerman led the service where he spoke the following words:
"Each of us has a different feeling and image of Slobodan. My image was of him coming out of his house in a white coat with things attached and going out into town like that."
"That's how he must have been seen by many in the city. As someone who stood out and meant something by his appearance."
"This past week a little more of that was revealed to me by Dragica. She showed a card that read, "The Embassy of Heaven and Hell. Slobodan saw himself as the ambassador of heaven and hell."

Messages from the Cosmos
"Heaven represents good, how society should be. Hell stands for evil. That which is bad in society and what society should be punished for.
In the language of the Bible, you could say he was a sign. A sign is a connection between heaven and earth. To challenge heaven from earth to bring about a change in society.
Slobodan received messages from the cosmos and that made him so, in his white coat and wearing his glasses, he went into the city. As an ambassador of heaven and hell.
He hoped that we, who live on, will understand that and that we will carry on his mission and his message: a society where it is good life for everyone."

May be fake!
1674417472085.png

One resident from North Tonawanda went to do her holiday shopping at the Walden Galleria when she overheard someone shouting outside the mall. She shared this photo on Facebook: “This thing has been walking around the malls and started saying ‘All people must die.’ We saw him Black Friday weekend at the Walden Galleria!“

Surely it is more correct to say, 'all people will die'?
I mean, nobody must die - there's no must about it.

All people do die.
You can't ignore the dozens* of people already dead.

* - possibly an under-estimate.

"All animals shall die"
Us people aren't the only sentient life-forms here y'know.

this might also go under nasty neighbours, I'm surprised the police haven;t chargerd her with assault and corruption in office.

A council leader "shouted like a banshee" at a worker who inadvertently damaged a hedge while strimming, a standards panel has found.

The worker told the investigation the Lanigans said they had been taking care of the area for several years and he described her as "screaming, shouting and bellowing on". Mr Lanigan then threw a 3ft-tall tree at the worker's head causing soil and grit to enter his eye, the panel heard, with Mrs Lanigan keeping a "poker face" and only apologising 15 minutes later.

Redcar and Cleveland leader Mary Lanigan has apologised after she was found to have breached the authority's code of conduct. She also used "pejorative language" about neighbours amid a long-running feud, the panel heard. Mrs Lanigan said she accepted she had "crossed a line".

The council's standards committee heard Mrs Lanigan and her husband Mike had been in a long-running dispute with neighbours in Easington, East Cleveland, which had seen Mr Lanigan convicted of assault and criminal damage. The neighbour and another woman lodged formal complaints about Mrs Lanigan, who has led the council since 2019, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

It also found Mrs Lanigan had breached the code of conduct by attempting to use her position to benefit her husband when she told the council to allow him to burn rubbish, despite it causing a nuisance to neighbours.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-64777698

Back