• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

"What actions can I take....?"
1677935849423.png

1678560818802.png

I know of a VC guy who managed to get mercury poisoning by switching his diet to only* eating tuna every day, and somehow his *personal* banking account is with SVB for no reason.

*Later in the thread it is explained that "only" is literal here ...

Park Ranger Crushes Nazi Coup Attempt.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Missouri man flew to Washington, rented a U-Haul truck and drove straight to the White House, where he crashed the truck into a security barrier and began waving around a Nazi flag in the culmination of a six-month plan to “seize power” from the government, authorities said Tuesday.

Sai Varshith Kandula, 19, removed the flag from a backpack shortly after smashing the box truck into the barrier near the north side of Lafayette Square on Monday around 10 p.m., according to charging documents. He was quickly arrested by a U.S. Park Police officer who rushed to the scene of the crash and saw him take out the flag.

Kandula later told Secret Service agents that he’d flown from St. Louis on a one-way ticket that night after months of planning. He wanted to “get to the White House, seize power, and be put in charge of the nation,” and he said he would “kill the president, if that’s what I have to do,” charges state.

Kandula, who is from the St. Louis suburb of Chesterfield, Missouri, said he bought the flag online because he admires the Nazis’ “great history” as well as their “authoritarian nature, eugenics, and their one world order.”

No one was injured in the crash. No explosives or weapons were found in the truck or on Kandula.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white-house-truck-crash-u-haul_n_646d7a62e4b035573939c8cb

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Missouri man flew to Washington, rented a U-Haul truck and drove straight to the White House, where he crashed the truck into a security barrier and began waving around a Nazi flag in the culmination of a six-month plan to “seize power” from the government, authorities said Tuesday.

Sai Varshith Kandula, 19, removed the flag from a backpack shortly after smashing the box truck into the barrier near the north side of Lafayette Square on Monday around 10 p.m., according to charging documents. He was quickly arrested by a U.S. Park Police officer who rushed to the scene of the crash and saw him take out the flag.

Kandula later told Secret Service agents that he’d flown from St. Louis on a one-way ticket that night after months of planning. He wanted to “get to the White House, seize power, and be put in charge of the nation,” and he said he would “kill the president, if that’s what I have to do,” charges state.

Kandula, who is from the St. Louis suburb of Chesterfield, Missouri, said he bought the flag online because he admires the Nazis’ “great history” as well as their “authoritarian nature, eugenics, and their one world order.”

No one was injured in the crash. No explosives or weapons were found in the truck or on Kandula.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white-house-truck-crash-u-haul_n_646d7a62e4b035573939c8cb

That took six months to plan?

maximus otter

This bit,
sounds like yesterday's Downing Street crash.

In Asia, Hitler is often considered a great strategist.
Here, Hitler is featured on our tv extensively, just about every day, the fascination with him is, I think, that he came from nowhere, was in prison, and rose to such great popularity.
Watching how he spoke and held the attention of crowds is quite something, not many people have that talent or power.
If only he had used his power for good.

In the 1950s, the U.S. had a exchange teacher program with other countries.

So, my sixth grade teacher was a lady from Glasgow, Scotland.

When we wrote on a piece of paper we had to use every inch of the paper with no margins because she would say wasting paper was bad.

She would get upset if we did not put a period after we wrote our name.

This was different for me.

Arthur Malcolm Stace (9 February 1885 – 30 July 1967),[1] known as Mr Eternity, was an Australian soldier. He was an alcoholic from his teenage years until the early 1930s, when he converted to Christianity and began to spread his message by inscribing the word "Eternity" in copperplate writing with yellow chalk on footpaths and doorsteps in and around Sydney, from Martin Place to Parramatta, from 1932 to his death in 1967.[2][3][4] He has become somewhat of a legend in the local folklore of the city, and the story of his life has inspired books, museum exhibits, statues, an opera, and a film.[5][6][7]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace

Decades ago, I worked in Camden (N. London). There used to be a chap we saw regularly. Every time he'd be dressed in a black polo-necked shirt, black trousers (with black braces), black shiny shoes, black wraparound sunglasses and a black bowler hat. He appeared to be in his twenties - hard to tell with the glasses - and slim of figure. He'd be walking along, ram-rod straight, and slowly with one foot placed exactly on the kerbstone. He'd pay no attention to anyone else and I never saw him cross the road or whatever. I was tempted to follow him, to see what was happening, but it was always during the day when I was at work - I'd only see him on my lunch break or when on the way to work in the morning. It'd be only on fine, sunny days and only (as far as I remember) on one particular block.

After all these years, I always wonder about him. Did he live in that block and do this 'exercise' around until he returned to his home? Did he ever 'switch off' his almost (but not quite) robotic movement? He was completely harmless - he never interacted with anyone - and I don't think he was ever abused or assaulted, as his 'route' wasn't on the main roads but a side street.

Arthur Malcolm Stace (9 February 1885 – 30 July 1967),[1] known as Mr Eternity, was an Australian soldier. He was an alcoholic from his teenage years until the early 1930s, when he converted to Christianity and began to spread his message by inscribing the word "Eternity" in copperplate writing with yellow chalk on footpaths and doorsteps in and around Sydney, from Martin Place to Parramatta, from 1932 to his death in 1967.[2][3][4] He has become somewhat of a legend in the local folklore of the city, and the story of his life has inspired books, museum exhibits, statues, an opera, and a film.[5][6][7]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace
What a lovely story.

I lived in Sydney for a year, visited pretty much all the museums - particularly liked the Justice and Police Museum and the Powerhouse - and read up a lot about the city, but his story passed me by entirely.

Piggy Smith was a character around when I was in my teens.

Dressed like a tramp in a big old coat with bailing twine for a belt.
He was though, apparently well off.

I don't know anything about him other than he had a *small shop* that had a few old motorbikes in it.

The shop though, was, like Piggy, dilapidated- to the point that the stairs had fallen down from ground level to halfway up.

*Buxton Road in Bakewell @Spookdaddy*

In the nineties there was a fellow to be seen around Searjeant Street, Peterborough. He was a rotund, bespectacled man, always dressed in school uniform. The local Pakistani kids would taunt him, calling him Woody. He lost it and shouted "My name is not Woody! It is Richard!"
According to legend, the reason he wore school uniform was because he'd managed to gas himself during a chemistry lesson and was never the same again.

In the nineties there was a fellow to be seen around Searjeant Street, Peterborough. He was a rotund, bespectacled man, always dressed in school uniform. The local Pakistani kids would taunt him, calling him Woody. He lost it and shouted "My name is not Woody! It is Richard!"
According to legend, the reason he wore school uniform was because he'd managed to gas himself during a chemistry lesson and was never the same again.
I lived near there briefly back in the mid 90s. I don't remember that!

Back