• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Sayings

Tanks for that Rynner, so from one suggestion I read, it means a load of Bo***cks.:D

Marion said:
I lived up North once , in Cumbria , bread rolls were barm cakes and all the cheddar was orange . Sherbert was called kale-eye .
It was a foreign world !

No, Marion, Kali is the stuff that used to in those big sweet jars, arranged in layers of colour and you used to wait till others had bought some so you could get the red. Then you used to wet your finger and dip it in the bag and lick the kali off, and you'd end up with a red finger . . . ahh, them were the days . . .

We have stotty cakes in our area instead of barm cakes, but stottie is more of a Geordie word.

And up north, when we say buns, we usually mean bread buns, down south, people refer to little cakes as buns. Of course, buns can also be used to refer to . . . ;)

Carole

Around here,the sound of a very heavy rainfall is sometimes described as being like a"cow pissing on a flat rock".

Not so much sayings as odd words these two, but they have defeated
me as regards origin.

The first is the scouse insult "Mef or Meff" usually in a statement such as
"I hate that cow, she's a mef!"

When I first heard it, I associated it with meths-drinkers who were a
common local sight but the kids who used the word denied it had any
connection. A reference to Mephistopheles would seem far fetched,
though it is all that a compiler of one scouse website could suggest.

The second weird word was one my grandmother used as a euphemism
for the lavatory. She called it the "La Peach" or "Larpeach". I have never
heard it used by anyone else and never seen it in writing. She was
originally from Yorkshire but without evidence to the contrary, I suspect
the word was the start of a private language. Maybe if she'd had a
twin . . . :eek:

James, I had an elderly aunt from oop north who used a similar term and when I asked her about it she would say "it's French dear" the only thing I thought it referred to was Pissoir, if that's the right spelling.

carole said:
No, Marion, Kali is the stuff that used to in those big sweet jars, arranged in layers of colour and you used to wait till others had bought some so you could get the red. Then you used to wet your finger and dip it in the bag and lick the kali off, and you'd end up with a red finger . . . ahh, them were the days . . .

We have stotty cakes in our area instead of barm cakes, but stottie is more of a Geordie word.

And up north, when we say buns, we usually mean bread buns, down south, people refer to little cakes as buns. Of course, buns can also be used to refer to . . . ;)

Carole
When I lived in Grimsby a cob was a large bread product like a loaf but when I moved to Nottingham cob is a bun as in a bread bun.So when I went to the chippy and saw chip cobs being advertised I thought they must be HUGE!:D

It's true! In Nottingham they call chip butties, chip cobs! I know this because of my mate telling me about him trying to expalin to some american friends what one was.

luce

Aaaaaargh! The breadcake debate! This has whiled away many hours at uni...

In West Yorkshire it's teacake, in Sheffield it's breadcake, in Barnsley I've heard them called Barmcakes. The Northeasteners I know call them Breadbuns. To me a teacake has currants in it, and a cob has a crust, unlike a breadcake, which doesn't.

Here in Sheff everyone I know knows a bun as a small cake, but again, the Northeasteners I know don't know what I'm talking about.

No no-one even start on the rissole/fishcake debate. That's a minefield!

As a northeastener I typically associate buns with bread, small round things you make into sandwiches or use with burgers. Though just to be confusing there's always sticky buns, often plain dough with icing on top.

luce

and of course in mid-atlantic buns are something you wouldn't want on each side of a beefburger

Avoiding fishcake/rissole debate what of meat portion debate. Barnsley chop confused the h*ll out of me when I went to Bridlington.

intaglio said:
and of course in mid-atlantic buns are something you wouldn't want on each side of a beefburger

Ooh, no, but I do like a pair of nice, tight ones . . .:blah:

Carole

Where I live, a 'cob' is a phlegmy spit!

And a slice of potato deep-fried in batter is a smack. 30 miles west towards Wales it's a 'scallop'.

Bread rolls are baps, a word also meaning 'breasts', as in 'she got her baps out!'

Buns are cakes. Butties are sandwiches.

Anyone urinating for a long time is 'like the Stores' Horse'.

Ive heard of baps as a term for breasts. My boyfriend calls baywatch , bapwatch.:D

My Dad calls weak tea 'fortnight tea'. I call it 'love in a canoe'.

If you don't know what I mean, that's cus it's too weak (two week) and f*** in' water.

When my Grandad was thirsty, he would say he had a throat like an arab camel rider's jockstrap. And if your hungry or thirsty, your stomach feels like your throat's been cut.

Or: "Tea so strong it'll grow short hairs on a billiard ball", Or: "Tea so weak it can't crawl out of (or up) the spout", as in: "Don't complain about this tea, as you may be old and weak one day!!!"

Breasts are Paps in Scottie Land, as in the Paps of Jura.

Or in Oz "norks", seems to originate from an advert for the Norkus Dairy in the 1950's, that featured a full uddered cow!!!!

I like the 'norks', 'David!

A colleague at works refers to them as 'Walid Jumblats'

As for weak tea, we call it 'shamrock tea' (three leaves - get it?). Or my father used to say of weak tea 'call the priest and give it the last rites.'

My dad also had a good saying of anyone who was rather large - 'she's got a backside on her like Tommy Dunn's coal horse.'

Carole

I can remember an old Ward Sister who refered to them as "luggs", ? something that needed to be lugged about, (she was "well endowed"), or a varient of ,duggs'?

The male em! "attributes" were known as: "Doofer's" as in: "That will do for later"!!!!

A guy I used to work with introduced me to his favourite word: 'breasticles'.

:p

eheh, that word is really cute :D I actually use it too, but only after hearing sarah cox mention it a few months ago :)

One of my Grandfathers had the expression "Rory, Rory, get your dory, there's a mermaid in the bay." I'm sure there are other wierd ones, but that's all that came to mind.

Battered slices of potato: Slaps, smacks, scallops, specials (all within 15 miles radius of my old hometown in the North West.) In Plymouth: Rarely, if ever seen in the wild.

Little bits of batter left over from frying fish: Scraps, Fishbits, and in the Southwest: Gribbles (after the wood-boring worm.)

Steak & kidney pudding in parts of Wigan: Babby's yed (A baby's head).
With gravy: Babby's yed wi't cap on.
Juice from mushy peas: Peawet.
It was therefore possible for me to en ter a chip shop and order
'Babby's yed wi't cap on, peawet, scraps and a smack.'

Try that anywhere else, I dare ya.

The highest compliment for a healthy Cheshire baby-

'Eee, 'e's gorra face like a farmer's arse!'

An elderly rural relly said this admiringly of my elder son and for years he was known as 'Farmer's Arse'!

My mom used to cut potatoes width ways, like thick crisps, and fry them like chips. She called them fairies. Also (healthy eaters and veggies turn away now - you have been warned) when you fry bacon, then dip bread into the fat after removing the bacon, thereby picking up all the crispy bits as well as fat - we called that dip.

My Grandad apparently made the best fried bread in the world. I don't eat it, but he would soak it in milk (sometimes with egg mixed in) then deep fry it. It would be crispy on the outside and melting on the inside. You can tell it was good because of the detailed descriptions I got from the Dad about it.

So - how many people have I horrified with that?;)

escargot said:
The highest compliment for a healthy Cheshire baby-

'Eee, 'e's gorra face like a farmer's arse!'

An elderly rural relly said this admiringly of my elder son and for years he was known as 'Farmer's Arse'!

A certain supermodel would be greeted (when on telly) with cries of 'She's got a face on her like a cow's backside' from my Dad and Grandad. I presumed it was because she's got very thick lips. Either that or they thought her particularly unpleasant to look at. I suppose it works either way.

Originally posted by Helen

My Grandad apparently made the best fried bread in the world. I don't eat it, but he would soak it in milk (sometimes with egg mixed in) then deep fry it. It would be crispy on the outside and melting on the inside. You can tell it was good because of the detailed descriptions I got from the Dad about it.

So - how many people have I horrified with that?;)

Thats just how my mum used to do it but with a fried egg in the middle...she called it Nelsons eye.

Back