• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Sayings

I had 4 fried bangers, 6 rashers of crispy bacon and 8 hashbrowns for brunch today... haven't needed anything else all day.. so no tales of fried food can scare me now!

Niles "Cardiac Arrest" Calder
(but I was aquitted)

We eat a similar dish for breakfast, with maple syrup and butter, with a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar, and call it French Toast.
It makes me wonder how many of our foodstuffs are called arbitrary names that are much different overseas. Like, I'm sure everyone knows about the whole Canadian Bacon deal, and how Americans refer to it as Canadian Bacon, and Canadians call it back bacon. I doubt the French use French dressing, and if they do, they probably call it Belgian dressing. Russian dressing? I don't even want to get into it.

"I'm from Milwaukee and I ought to know..."

Anyway, in these parts we call water fountains, bubblers. Soft drinks, pops, are called soda. And when you're young and in love
you park at the lake front to "watch the submarine races".

Ok all, breaks over, gotta get back to my rat killing.

Helen said:
Also (healthy eaters and veggies turn away now - you have been warned) when you fry bacon, then dip bread into the fat after removing the bacon, thereby picking up all the crispy bits as well as fat - we called that dip.

So - how many people have I horrified with that?;)

Yumm, bread and dip, or - a REALLY healthy snack - a nice thick slice of home made bread, spread with pork dripping (and some of the nice tasty jelly) and then sprinkled with salt.

It used to be so delicious, but contains millions of calories, quite apart from all the other health hazards.

Carole

I've just had 'tater cakes and dip for tea. Bloody lovely they were, and I thought 'bugger it, who wants to live forever if you can't have 'tater cakes and dip?'

replace the tatty cakes and dip with penguin biscuites and cheese and you have my full agreement

cas

Lard said:
I've just had 'tater cakes and dip for tea. Bloody lovely they were, and I thought 'bugger it, who wants to live forever if you can't have 'tater cakes and dip?'

Yes, but look what it does to your eyes, Lard!

Carole

Why is pork crackling so good? and why are pork scratchings so nasty? Oooh, i could kill for a nice piece of pork crackling.

Helen said:
When my Grandad was thirsty, he would say he had a throat like an arab camel rider's jockstrap. And if your hungry or thirsty, your stomach feels like your throat's been cut.

When I was a geology student I heard a visiting Australian lecturer announce on a field trip: "Cor, I'm as dry as a dead dingo's donga."

One of my mother's favourite sayings, when she was referring to someone who was quite a charmer, but with a cynical edge (used car salesman type) was "He's as artful as a wagonload of bosseyed coppers"
Which is a wonderful, if completely nonsensical, phrase :)

An elderly neighbour who had been burgled told me, they'd steal your teeth and come back for your gums.

We have many of those too Mike, but ours are a bit more prosaic such as, as happy as a pig in sh*t, or she had eyes like piss holes in the snow.:p

Tell you what's nasty... You know when you get those 'Pork Scratchings' in the Pub and there's always one big one that you bite into and it's just a big lump of liquid pig fat. That is nasty.

Lard said:
Tell you what's nasty... You know when you get those 'Pork Scratchings' in the Pub and there's always one big one that you bite into and it's just a big lump of liquid pig fat. That is nasty.
That's called lard I think.:D

Oh, yeh. Whoops. I'd better not interfere with those 'Mr Scratchy' bags of pig skin again.

My dear old nan, who passed away in 1998, had a few favourite sayings, such as:

"They can kill you, but they can't eat you."

"Going down the Cut to see how far it is."

"I can't see a hole through a ladder" [without her glasses]

Sounds like your nan was a bit of a mathematician to me, Hermes!

I sometimes catch myself using phrases my parents used. This things pass down in families.

Where I come from we have a term, "Ya doyle", meaning you idiot.

I have no idea how it came about.

luce

p.younger said:
We have many of those too Mike, but ours are a bit more prosaic such as, as happy as a pig in sh*t, or she had eyes like piss holes in the snow.:p

Or eyes like chapel hat pegs

Another of my favourite sayings is one of my mum's in reply to a question like "When will such and such happen?": "When Nelson gets his eye back", ie, never.

Carole

Standard fatherly replies-

'Where are you going?' - 'To see a man about a dog.'

'Why?' - ' 'cos there's railings round the park!'

'Where's my........?' -'Up that 'ole in Duke Street!'

All infuriating, patronising crap used to fob kids off.
I vowed never to talk such rubbish to my kids and took great care to answer all questions reasonably, even the embarrassing ones!

Yer' going soft on the little B*ggers UrbanDruid, welt em' round the 'ead & tell em' to get back down t' pit!!!!!:D

As a wee tot, who had just discovered the power of words, particularly 'Why...?', I apparently learned that you could apply it to to everything, and expect an answer from your all-knowing parents. One day, my mum evidently got tired of explaining things to me, and said "'Cos" - i.e. "because..."
I must have been 'put out' by the fob off that next time she asked me why I had done something, I simply replied "Cos."
Well, after that, she didn't do that to me again.

The capacity young children have of absorbing all sensory input, particularly with regard to language, which they throw back again (often - amazingly - in the fitting context) was brought home recently when my sister visited my parents with her youngest son, who is two-and-a-half - and had recently been taught a naughty phrase or two by his impish older brothers (as they do), aged 6 and 8.
My dad was apparently cajoling him from outside the loo with playful regard to hurrying him up. "Hurry up, D," my dad called out. "Grandad wants to get in there." The next thing, my sister, who was in the small room with the little 'un, supervising his business, and my dad, were literally dumbstruck when a tiny voice called out in reply, "F*** you, Grandad."

Has anyone already mentioned - "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"???

luce

lucydru said:
Has anyone already mentioned - "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"???

A brass monkey is a pyramid of cannon balls. When it was very cold they would fall off. Thats where you get the phrase from.

luce

Young children and speech:
Many children like to delay bedtime by repeating little games, or asking for a story to be read, etc.

Years ago, when he was very young, my son was practicing this tactic, but was finally told, "No, that was the last time." Whereupon he asked for "one more last time"! It became a bit of a family phrase after that.

"F*** you, Grandad."

-ROFLMAO !

Our youngest did the same at about age 4, having learned some juicy slang from her 10 year-old brother. When playing at a posh neighbour's house, she stuck two fingers up in the hostess's face and said, 'Up yours, Mrs MacDonald!' The poor lady nearly fainted.

That's where I went wrong, should have taken David's advice and sent'em down t'pit wi' a thick ear.

My mother used to challenge any imagined defiance with a pointing finger and repeated shouts of 'You dare! You dare!' which sent a mixed message to say the least.

Back