• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Smells

Hamlet: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

Ophelia: No, my lord.

Hamlet: I mean, my head upon your lap?

Ophelia: Aye, my lord.

Hamlet: Do you think I meant country matters?

Ophelia: I think nothing my lord.

Hamlet: That’s a fair thought to lie between maids’ legs.

Ophelia: What is, my lord.

Hamlet: Nothing.

:shock:

Reminds me of when, as teenager at work, I'd be confronted by some bloke who insisted on pretending to believe that everything I said was about sex.

I am now beginning to wonder what is going on with all the trivial happenings added together as the timings seem to link to my late Mothers passing...

What time of year did she pass? Did she smoke, or did the cigarette pack in the jug of lilies appear to be another pointer to lilies?
Did she have a medical condition? Have you been to a doctor to check if you may have a similar condition? If it seems that someone's trying to get your attention, what kind of message might there be for you?

Just brainstorming here.

Thanks IbisNibs. My Mother passed away just after midnight Boxing Day 2015 and it was that Boxing Day we had the very strong smell of Lillies. When my Father passed away some years ago I brought his 2 large wreaths of Lillies home with us and had them placed on a table in our other room with a candle in the centre as he was cremated and we had nowhere to put them. My Dad knew I always loved Lillies and my Mother didn't like them as they reminded her of death. Health wise no issues the GP isn't aware of for me and no link to my Mother. I do feel perhaps someone is trying to tell me something but I am trying to keep an open mind. However after the recent events around Boxing Day well I do have to wonder. If anything else happens I will let you know.

Thanks IbisNibs. My Mother passed away just after midnight Boxing Day 2015 and it was that Boxing Day we had the very strong smell of Lillies. When my Father passed away some years ago I brought his 2 large wreaths of Lillies home with us and had them placed on a table in our other room with a candle in the centre as he was cremated and we had nowhere to put them. My Dad knew I always loved Lillies and my Mother didn't like them as they reminded her of death. Health wise no issues the GP isn't aware of for me and no link to my Mother. I do feel perhaps someone is trying to tell me something but I am trying to keep an open mind. However after the recent events around Boxing Day well I do have to wonder. If anything else happens I will let you know.

It seems to have been a common view in the past that Lillies were not to be brought into the house.

Last night as we watched TV Techy noticed a cigarette-type smell. Nobody here smokes and the window was closed so it wasn't obvious where it was coming from.

However, there were cats present. No telling WHAT foul stenches they can emit.

Last night as we watched TV Techy noticed a cigarette-type smell. Nobody here smokes and the window was closed so it wasn't obvious where it was coming from.

However, there were cats present. No telling WHAT foul stenches they can emit.
Your cats have taken up smoking. Crafty little buggers.

Thanks for the condolences but it is someone from an extended part of the family. Very sad all the same. With regard to happenings there is something I need to check on but I think it might be nothing. No more smells anyway.

Several weeks ago I went upstairs to go to the bathroom - there are 2 flights of stairs in the hallway and the sitting room where we smoke is shut off from it. Anyway as I approached the bathroom door there was the strong smell of cigarette smoke in one small spot. No smell anywhere else - just the one spot. Also another time a heavy duty carrier bag full of coat hangers I had placed securely on a small chest of drawers fell onto the floor whilst I was in bed. The way they fell was most odd. Also I had walked past them 5 mins or more prior to this and hadn't been near them to upset the bag. I moved the bag elsewhere.

Several weeks ago I went upstairs to go to the bathroom - there are 2 flights of stairs in the hallway and the sitting room where we smoke is shut off from it. Anyway as I approached the bathroom door there was the strong smell of cigarette smoke in one small spot. No smell anywhere else - just the one spot. Also another time a heavy duty carrier bag full of coat hangers I had placed securely on a small chest of drawers fell onto the floor whilst I was in bed. The way they fell was most odd. Also I had walked past them 5 mins or more prior to this and hadn't been near them to upset the bag. I moved the bag elsewhere.
Sounds potentially paranormal to me.

I am trying very hard to keep an open mind Swifty but...

In our previosu home I could smell burning and a kind of musky/dusty smell which no-one else could smell. It came in intense waves in different rooms. I specualted damage to my nose after something I did to it a few years ago but I was also suspicious of a new plant and a new hamster.

The smeels followed us to our new home but not that our hamster has died, the musky/dusty smell is gone. So he was responsible for that. However, the smoky smell still happens when I'm lying in bed. It's not cigrette smoke and it's not acrid like burning/melting plastic. It's more campfire than house fire.

It may just be my nose (or as mentionen previously, a stroke).

There was a horrible sickly sweet smell, like dustbins, in my bedroom late the other night. It hadn't been there when I went to bed. I did have my bedroom window slightly open, and if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't hear anything outside, I'd have thought it was some secret late night disinfection going on!

There was a horrible sickly sweet smell, like dustbins, in my bedroom late the other night. It hadn't been there when I went to bed. I did have my bedroom window slightly open, and if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't hear anything outside, I'd have thought it was some secret late night disinfection going on!
Neighbours, discreetly disinfecting their own bins? Burying their dead? Etc.

If you are in the US, Ladyloafer, it might have been a homeless person gathering cans and bottles in order to collect the deposit fee.

Reference mysterious cigarette smells, we live in an old house ( 1721) with a single storey extension ( 1970's). Experiencing bouts of stale cigarette smell for years in the downstairs part of the extension. Couple of years ago there was a burst pipe in the ceiling to the downstairs bathroom. On getting into the loft space to repair and clear up the smell of stale smoke was really strong, turns out that insulation absorbs the smoky smell. Seems that loft insulation when warm and damp will release the pong, removing the insulation has resolved the smell problem.

I am waking up in the night quite frequently (see my thread about Vivid Dreams...) and when I do it's almost as though my sense of smell is in overdrive. But it's not a 'real' thing, if you see what I mean, it's an 'imagined' thing. For example, my dog has a habit of..err...well, sometimes she can't wait until morning, put it that way, and she'll do it on the landing outside my bedroom. And I often wake up convinced I can smell it. Even though I can't, and there's nothing there.

The other day I woke up convinced my bed smelled of whatever the dog had been rolling in. Now she does get into my bed a bit smelly sometimes, so it's not inconceivable, but I'd been in bed all night and not noticed anything. So why should I suddenly notice it at four in the morning?

If I get up and go down to the bathroom, the smell is gone when I get back. So it must be something to do with my sleeping brain. But the smells are always in context, I never smell coffee or chocolate or anything else that is unlikely to be in my room.

A couple of years ago I started smelling smoke, the sort of acrid stink when paper is just smouldering. On other occasions I have smelt tobacco. I mentioned this on a visit to the Doc and he sent me for a brain scan and found tiny old scars on the Basal Ganglia.
This apparently wouldn't cause the smells. But it has refuted some peoples claims that I'm brainless.

Back