• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

skull

The ones up in the left corner of that skull image looks like a woman with an umbrella walking her dog, to me!

True Grit.

That it should come to this, arguing over the properties of a handful of gravel millions of miles away. Still, I like the skull hypothesis....

Hold on.....someone has a fine explanation

Apparently Nasa have had hundreds of queries about this one.

See

Crabs

Apologies in advance to Stormkhan, but I think its a Ceti Eel.

:eek!!!!:

Re: Hold on.....someone has a fine explanation

lordshiva said:
Apparently Nasa have had hundreds of queries about this one.

Mars Mirage

By Erik Baard

Published 02/06/2004

Perhaps our next Mars probe should be called the Tinkerbell. The fairy from "Peter Pan" was brought to life by children shouting, "I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!" The same chorus of belief in Martians resounds with each downpour of images and data from the apparently dead Red Planet.

The photos sent home by the rovers Spirit and Opportunity have already set off a flurry of Internet chatter amongst amateur space enthusiasts. Would be astrobiologists (a new field that weds astronomy with biology) claim to see everything from fossilized coral and seashells to an admittedly creepy looking claw. The European Space Agency's orbiting Mars Express has produced an image to fire speculation too -- a grainy object that some identify as a stepped pyramid with an underground entrance.

It's been more than a hundred years since wealthy Boston patrician Percival Lowell thrilled imaginations with his assertion that a great civilization had crisscrossed the dusty plains of our neighboring world with canals. Back then the evidence came from Lowell and Italian astronomer Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli's drawings made from observations through ground telescopes. Those observatories were feeble compared to what we use today, but cutting edge in their time. But how do such vain hopes persist in the face of data from modern advanced imaging systems and robots leaving tracks on the planet itself?

That undying hope has had the odd effect of casting NASA scientists who've dedicated their lives to looking for the slightest glimmer of life elsewhere (a cockroach, some slime, a microbe) as conspirators hiding entire alien cities from the rest of us.

"Look, Mars, like Earth, is a complex world. There are going to be rocks with a seemingly infinite number of shapes. As on Earth, some of these will include simple geometrical forms, both because random forces will occasionally create them, and because some geological processes make squares and circles and other polygons. If you want to start fantasizing about alien artifacts, that's fine. In fact I think it's great that many people are scrutinizing these pictures. You never know what someone may find," said David Grinspoon, a planetary scientist and astrobiologist with the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder Colorado. He is the author of Lonely Planets: The Natural Philosophy of Alien Life, released by Ecco books in November.

"I personally don't think it impossible we could find an alien artifact on one of the planets or in the asteroid belt," said Grinspoon, who performs research for NASA. "The solar system is almost completely unexplored and we are completely ignorant of the prevalence, capabilities and behavior of other possible civilizations. So who knows? Someone could have been here.

"But please don't start accusing NASA of hiding or denying anything in these images because that gets kind of tired. We'd rather talk about what is really exciting in these images -- new landscapes with clues to planetary history. Nobody would be more eager and excited to discover something so important than the folks most involved in planetary exploration. We like it when people get excited about Mars exploration. Why would we ever hide the most exciting thing we could find?"

One person who might be seen carrying Lowell's torch is Thomas Van Flandern, a retired astronomer from the U.S. Naval Observatory and now chief scientist at http://www.MetaResearch.org, a group dedicated to scientific anomalies and fringe ideas. He argues that Mars bears the artifacts of a civilization that existed on a planet-sized moon that, along with the Red Planet, orbited a gas giant which exploded 65 million years ago. That homeworld also exploded a little more than three million years ago, he said, but it's possible that survivors altered the primate genetic line to create beings resembling themselves: us.

"How people react to the artistic images is a fascinating thing, the psychology of it. It's a story in its own right," Van Flandern said. "One's biases going in to view them affect one's ability to see them. Even when an image is traced for them, some people have great difficulty seeing them and it's still extremely implausible for them."

An afternoon surfing through the Meta Research website's image pages might be enough to push Grinspoon over the edge, but he notes that we've been here before. Johannes Kepler, an astronomer from 400 years ago, was convinced he saw cities on the moon because nature wouldn't make such perfect circles across the lunar landscape, Grinspoon said. Meteorite impacts and craters were at that time unknown to science, as doubtless many natural processes are a mystery to us now.

Short of grand cities and pyramids, one thing that would send hearts into palpitations at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a simple crab claw sitting in plain view. It certainly had that effect on multimedia developer Jim Love. He set up, with no small dose of humor, the website http://www.martiancrabs.com when he became fixated on an odd little object photographed by the Mars rover Opportunity, now in the Meridiani Planum region of the planet.

"To me it does look like rock color. The compelling thing to me is that the photo does seem to indicate a shadow, meaning it's something sticking up and natural," as opposed to a trick of imagining processing, said Carter Emmart, who creates three dimensional astronomy shows for the American Museum of Natural History and has illustrated books about Mars.

"That's kind of cool. I was wondering what that was," said Penelope Boston, an astrobiologist and director of the Cave and Karst Research Program at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.

NASA confirmed, as near as it can, what both had suspected the object might be: our own space junk.

"We've heard that thing described as all kinds of things," said JPL educational spokesman John Sepikas. "Bunny ears, a claw, a crab, a skull -- all sorts of interpretations. We think it's material that came off the airbag. There are other little pieces lying around the field."

Sepikas acknowledged that NASA's identification wasn't certain, but said the agency was sure enough not to waste precious machine time to check out. With only weeks or months of life in them, and a temperamental start, NASA wants to use the slow-moving rovers conservatively.

"I'm pretty sure that the nearby rock outcropping will be the focus of attention for the next week or so," he said. "Any destination has got to have a high scientific value and that's not the case in this situation. It would be nice for us to clear up the identity, but we'd much rather have the science."

The lack of any immediate sign of life hasn't dampened Boston's enthusiasm. "I want to drive up to all of it," she said. But she knows that we're in for a long haul. Remarking about whether the images inspiring the new gush of Martian sightings were actual fossils, she said, "If only that were true! Everything looks unusual when there aren't enough pixels."

Image links -- What the Mars life believers say they're seeing:

Nasca-like lines and other art forms (including, of course, the Face):

http://www.metaresearch.org/solar system/cydonia/asom/pressconf_nyc.asp

The "crab" in the NASA photo. Scroll about 2/3 across and 1/3 down.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040202a/MSPan_B1_2x-B009R1.jpg

The crab page:

http://www.martiancrabs.com

"Barnacles"

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA01409.jpg

"Coral and shells"

http://origin.mars5.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity_m010.html

"Pyramid and underground entrance (at the apex of the pic)

http://www.esa.int/export/externals/images/ob_18_mesa_p.jpg

Square hole in the "sushi and sashimi" pic (variations - another good, new one)

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040119a/P2543_Sol14_L4
56-A16R1.jpg

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040127a/Sol3_mosa
ic_left-B003R1.jpg

http://enterprisemission.com/images/Spirit/Slot-rock.jpg

and here:

http://enterprisemission.com/images/Spirit/slot-rock6-PanCam.jpg

http://www.techcentralstation.com/020604D.html

Emps

oops!

sorry - didn't know what was on the rest of the site...

:_pished:

While the Weirdload page did go a little hysterical at the end it was interesting to note that the object in question seems to have been crushed by the rover.

It would be nice to know NASA's reason for this - yes, it may well have been an accident, though they do seem to have gone out of their way to bring it about. Perhaps they went to have a look at the object and finding it was nothing important (in their opinion) took no care in manoevering the vehicle back to it intended course.

Who knows - and that is the problem.

Could NASA perhaps release some sort of information as to what the object was and why they did what they did, if only in the nature of a PR exercise? It was obvious that they had a positive interest in it and an explanation would be appreciated by the many people who seem to be following the story.

I am troubled by the scale of the thing, for that matter the scale of the panoramic photo too.

Does anyone know the distance the object was or how big it might have been?

After all, size matters. When it comes to Mars Bunnies it does anyway, fosilised or not.

Hmm, this is all starting to go the same way as the 'face on Mars stuff' - that is, give anyone an indistinct picture and let their imaginations run riot, and then voilà! Mars suddenly becomes populated with all sorts of weirdness. Based, IMHO, on some pretty shaky assumptions.

The BUNNY EARS on MARS!

Hello Everyone,

I have been just about anywhere and everywhere on the net to get some more info on the 'artifact' on Mars, known as the 'Bunny ears'. Everyone and their mother has turned this into a great cosmic (and altogether NASA-like) joke. I just wanted to say what I thought about all of it.
People are saying what it isn't, but noone is saying what it is. NASA is calling it a 'rock formation'. The media is calling it 'a joke'.
What do I think it is?
I think it's a crustacean. Yup, you heard me. I think it's the remains of a sea urchin of some type.
How the hell could it be a rock? The two protruberances are so distinct.
I am not screaming, 'Whoa! Proof of Martian life!!!' But, I am saying that we should consider that it could be just that, and instead of being open to that possibility, because the rover is infact ON ANOTHER PLANET(!!!), everyone chooses to categorize the anomaly based on human and earthen standards.
It's MARS for cripes sakes! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING on Mars has to look like ANYTHING on earth.
Having said that, perhaps it is then, just a rock. But...maybe it's not.
What do you all think?

WW

Hello,

Thank you Sally for waving me in the right direction. (*_*)

I've been checking out the pic's from mars too, and there's a lot of weird crap cropping up. The sad thing is we are the last of a long line of people checking these pics out, so who knows what happened to them when they were first shot. That thing could be ANYTHING! But, it could also be something from the rover too, I suppose. That doesn't kill my curiosity though.
I am just intrigued with the 'MARS FACE' reactions being thrown around lately.
Everyone is using the face as an 'example' of people making a mountain out of a mole hill. But, as far as I can see, the Mars face is still a mystery.
The moment people started making a big deal out of it, it cropped up on NASA's site looking like a caved in structure that was perhaps destroyed by anything...anybody.
NASA has the technology to mess with any pic in its possession, so why are people still crappin' on the face pics? It still looks like a face to me. The edges are still uncannily artificial looking. A recent color-pic on HOAGLAND'S site shows that there is an artificial structure underneath it that was only visible when the sun shown off its surface.
My point is just this: YOu can't believe everything you see, but you also cannot believe everything people TELL you to see!

WW

WW

Posted on Sun, Mar. 07, 2004

A NASA snow job, or just a lot of flakes?

Mars images reveal oddities - on Earth.

By Faye Flam

Inquirer Staff Writer

Forget about ancient traces of water on Mars. There's a little white bunny up there.

And stone tools.

And dinosaur fossils.

Plants, art, even letters of the alphabet.

While NASA scientists pore over the latest Red Planet images for shreds of evidence that it might have supported algae or pond scum, thousands of earnest civilians are scanning the same pictures and pointing out all sorts of things the professionals missed or haven't acknowledged.

Ever since the robot rovers Spirit and Opportunity landed on Mars in January, NASA has been flooded with hundreds of daily calls and e-mails from people eager to share their own dramatic discoveries.

Medford resident George Filer says he has spotted letters similar to E and G, written on Martian rocks. Filer and his associates at MUFON (Mutual UFO Network) believe these are the creations of intelligent beings. He's been trying to tell NASA, without success.

"They keep a lot from the public," said Filer, a retired Air Force pilot.

Another observer called The Inquirer to report he'd seen fossils of dinosaurs and their eggs, and a multitude of marine fossils - whales, fish and giant squid. "You have to know how to look," he said. Others have seen rocks they say appear to have been fashioned into primitive stone tools.

Never before have earthlings had such sharp pictures from another world, or such easy access to chat rooms, Web sites and virtual communities to discuss the fossils, tools, letters and the bunny. Especially the bunny.

A white rabbitlike image appeared in some of the first pictures beamed back from Opportunity, caught in three-quarter profile, long ears erect.

"Some Web sites have detailed spatial analysis on the bunny," said project scientist Phil Christensen of Arizona State University.

Christensen says he saw the bunny in the early shots beamed back from Opportunity. He said he lobbied to have the rover take a closer look, but the bunny disappeared.

NASA scientists believe the "bunny" was probably a piece of the landing air bag or some other bit of human-generated trash, Christensen said. On one Web site, an outraged writer accused NASA of intentionally running over the bunny with the rover.

The notion of bunnies on Mars may seem far-fetched now, but it wasn't all that long ago that even eminent scientists speculated about Martian trees, animals, even intelligent beings. In the 1960s, popular astronomer and author Carl Sagan talked up the prospect of life on both Mars and Venus.

A closer look at Venus showed it was more than 800 degrees at the surface. And then in 1965, the spacecraft Mariner 4 flew by Mars and snapped the first close-up pictures of Mars - which were both amazing and disheartening. They revealed nothing but a dry, dead landscape.

"There was nowhere to hide large, conspicuous organisms," said Harvard biologist Andrew Knoll.

But Sagan and other scientists didn't give up hope; perhaps life was there in a more subtle form.

When the Viking spacecraft landed on Mars in 1976, it ran a series of tests for life. A robotic arm on Viking mixed nutrients with the Martian soil to see whether any microbes would metabolize them and spit out telltale gases. The tests came back positive.

Scientists waffled for months over whether the tests could possibly indicate life. Meanwhile, pictures came back that showed a rock etched with a shape similar to a letter B, said Christensen, who worked as a NASA intern at the time.

The NASA guys thought it was funny, he said, but many in the public believed the B was carved by Martians. "We learned our lesson," said Christensen. "For a lot of people, this wasn't funny."

NASA scientists did more analyses of the Viking landing site and found surprises in the chemistry of the Martian soil. They decided it was an unanticipated chemical reaction that made their life-test come out positive. Adding to the bleak picture, they determined that the atmosphere was less than 1 percent as thick as ours.

According to Captured by Aliens, by Joel Achenbach, Sagan pretty much killed the B theory when he told talk-show host Johnny Carson it was very unlikely that Martians would use the same alphabet as Americans.

But in 1976 NASA did it again. In pictures beamed back from the Viking Orbiter, it noticed a hill that looked like a huge face with a solemn expression. The agency printed and released the picture: a cute artifact of light. It got little attention at first.

Eight years later, in 1984, the face stared out at millions of supermarket shoppers from the cover of the Weekly World News. Former CBS science consultant Richard Hoagland wrote a book speculating that the face, as well as several pyramids, were carved by an ancient Martian civilization.

Thousands of people still believe aliens made the face, though a later view of Mars from the Mars Global Surveyor found that, from a different angle, it just looked like a hill.

George Filer is not deterred. In a boulder photographed by Spirit on its 44th Martian day, he said, there's a distinct white E and a G, though the E may be closed off at the top, like a P. The letters appear to be 3 to 4 inches tall, Filer said.

In his Medford living room, he enlarged the picture on his wide-screen TV. He still had to point out the E and the G. They looked like they might have been chiseled or spray-painted or they might have been created by streaks of light that happened to look like letters.

"I could see easily how NASA would miss them," he said. "What we do is blow them up, so to speak, on the computer, using Photoshop and the like. If you believe there's something out there, you look for evidence."

Christensen said NASA can't make announcements about such observations unless scientists rule out more mundane explanations. They have to be wary of belief. As physicist Richard Feynman once said: The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.

Some people at NASA probably know about the letters and much more, Filer said. "I was in the military and there are a lot of things you can't talk about." He believes NASA is trying to hide that Mars and the universe are teeming with life.

NASA's Michelle Viotti, the agency's manager for Mars public engagement, said she's not ignoring Filer; it's just that the phones are ringing off the hook, and the space agency is still sorting through the more than 15,000 e-mails it got from the public in January. NASA is not hiding anything, she said.

"Secretly, deep down, we all hope there's life beyond our own home planet."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/8123294.htm

George Filer is not deterred. In a boulder photographed by Spirit on its 44th Martian day, he said, there's a distinct white E and a G, though the E may be closed off at the top, like a P. The letters appear to be 3 to 4 inches tall, Filer said.

So if people "see" letters on rocks on Mars then it's aliens, but if people "see" letters on rocks on the Moon (as in "Dark Moon") then it's NASA whistleblowers trying to tell us the Apollo landings were faked. :rolleyes: ;)

Fortis said:
So if people "see" letters on rocks on Mars then it's aliens, but if people "see" letters on rocks on the Moon (as in "Dark Moon") then it's NASA whistleblowers trying to tell us the Apollo landings were faked. :rolleyes: ;)
And, if people do actually see small anomalies (i.e. the 'bunny ears' anomaly), which they'd like explained and which shortly thereafter vanish (or are crushed beneath Rover treads), they're dismissed as nutters.

:rolleyes: ;)

NASA have rather grudgingly examined Mr Bunny;
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/opportunity/b19_20040304.html

Johnson took the visual color clues a step further. He measured the visible light spectrum from the Pancam image of the "bunny ears" and compared it to the spectrum of a sample of airbag material. The nearly identical spectra are distinct from typical martian soil or rock spectra and lead Johnson to believe that the "bunny ears" are, indeed, a wayward piece of airbag material or something similar.

Now they think it might have blown away, or perhaps under the lander itself; there is a wind up there, but it behaves quite differently to wind on Earth, due to the variability in pressure.

Eburacum45 said:
NASA have rather grudgingly examined Mr Bunny;
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/opportunity/b19_20040304.html

Now they think it might have blown away, or perhaps under the lander itself; there is a wind up there, but it behaves quite differently to wind on Earth, due to the variability in pressure.
It does look a bit more like a scrap of aluminumized mylar foil in the movie.

Now, what about the search for micro fossils in the sedimentary rocks? :D

Bunny on Mars

How many Sherlocks does it take...?
Everyone knows that Mars rules the male libido. Obviously Hugh Hefner had the money to get there first for some fantastic advertising promotion for Playboy!

I'm inclined to think it is more a case of complete idiocy on NASA's part. They travel all the way to Mars, see something unusual and instead of collecting it for research just run it over.

However, be real here, are NASA really going to tell us if they find anything? If there was anything worth seeing there they will have scooped it up and been off with it. The photo's of the track's going over it could have been taken in any desert location.

There is a clear anomaly anyway in that on one site it says the object was crushed by the rover and shows the tracks going over it. On another it shows two shots of the same place, one with the object missing but no visible tracks in its place.

If that really was something then NASA would never have published those pic's. I'm surprised they did anyway unless it was to simply get the conspiracy community chattering and in turn set itself up as a bunch of loppy nutbars in the eyes of everyone else.

McAvennie said:
However, be real here, are NASA really going to tell us if they find anything? If there was anything worth seeing there they will have scooped it up and been off with it.
I might be being a little naive here, but if they found something wouldn't it be a fantastic justification to increase their budget and seriously enhance the mars exploration program? I know that Bush has "ordered" them to put a man on Mars, but this seems to be generally viewed as a bit of unsuccessful electioneering. It would be easier to carry the public with you if you made a truly dramatic discovery. (The announcement that liquid water existed is exciting, but doesn't do that much in PR terms.)

fish bones on mars

I found on jpl site browsing pics (sol 06)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortis said:
I might be being a little naive here, but if they found something wouldn't it be a fantastic justification to increase their budget and seriously enhance the mars exploration program? .....

It would be easier to carry the public with you if you made a truly dramatic discovery....

I've always though this too, turn up a ruined city or a downed spaceship, or even a few dubious looking living insectoids and the money to reach Mars would be forthcoming instantly...

oh

I should mention the above picture I got from "Spirit rover" sol 06. I cropped from large picture it is completely untouched , the black line is just where I circled area so i could "crop" and send. I have the original save. If anyone goes there and locates it on jpl site and looks at original and puts on computer and enlarges ..you will see eye socket ,jaw henge, teeth!! its bones of some creature right there on Mars!! I havent seen any site post that image as of yet..ruff..............HERES FULL PHOTO http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/006/2P126914648EFF0205P2211L2M1.HTML

NOW YOU GO IN THAT LINK

and click that photo (to make it even bigger!!) and tell me if that ain't some kinda creatures remains..you can investigate efurther with cropping enlarging etc.. and see teeth and more!! I'll be a son of richard c. hoagland if I didn't find proof of life on mars (dead may though it be) also other things around on that photo http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/006/2P126914648EFF0205P2211L2M1.HTML

Re: NOW YOU GO IN THAT LINK

ruffready said:
and click that photo (to make it even bigger!!) and tell me if that ain't some kinda creatures remains..you can investigate efurther with cropping enlarging etc.. and see teeth and more!! I'll be a son of richard c. hoagland if I didn't find proof of life on mars (dead may though it be) also other things around on that photo http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/006/2P126914648EFF0205P2211L2M1.HTML

Just in from the left and about a third up from the bottom, there are some "stick-like" objects. I wonder how they've maintained such sharp, straight profiles in such an atmosphere?

Hmmmmmmmm

Re: Re: NOW YOU GO IN THAT LINK

Arthur ASCII said:
Just in from the left and about a third up from the bottom, there are some "stick-like" objects. I wonder how they've maintained such sharp, straight profiles in such an atmosphere?

Hmmmmmmmm
If you follow the gaze of the 'creature' you'll spy a face-mask lying discarded on the ground...

Back