• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

They do any and all tactics to support the overall strategies. :)

frideswide who did stuff with ESA. As well as be on the Archery team!

Here's a few more from the Curiosity archives, showing objects, with vaguely plant or tree-like appearances (plus one, which looks a bit like a decorative plate or shield).

Almost certainly pareidolia, but how I wish an astronaut could stroll over, maybe pick the object up and examine it with their own eyes.

mars1.JPG
mars2.JPG
mars3.JPG
mars4.JPG
mars5.JPG

I thought the first one looked vaguely cactus-like.
Must admit that the vast majority of claims for Martian life, including gorillas, lizards, rats, traffic-lights, skulls, cannon balls etc. are downright silly, but I would dearly like to know how erosion can explain stalk-like objects emerging from the sand, sometimes with lateral branches.

I thought the first one looked vaguely cactus-like.
Must admit that the vast majority of claims for Martian life, including gorillas, lizards, rats, traffic-lights, skulls, cannon balls etc. are downright silly, but I would dearly like to know how erosion can explain stalk-like objects emerging from the sand, sometimes with lateral branches.
Pic 4 looks like the head of a buried Cyberman

I can't help wondering if that Ewok-y thing is actually two different rocks, one a rather phallic pillar, and the other one (or other two maybe?) a separate rock altogether, lying behind the pillar, thereby creating that vaguely humanoid illusion. I've done my clumsy best to illustrate what I mean below....

IMG-20210616-WA0003.jpg

I can't help wondering if that Ewok-y thing is actually two different rocks, one a rather phallic pillar, and the other one (or other two maybe?) a separate rock altogether, lying behind the pillar, thereby creating that vaguely humanoid illusion. I've done my clumsy best to illustrate what I mean below....

View attachment 40913
Its the dancing gopher from 'caddyshack'

tenor.gif

Found one more strange object, suggestive of vegetation, as spotted by Curiosity back in 2013.
Does look somewhat like a pale plant stalk or flower pistil curling out of the soil.

mars1.JPG

Dammit those photos are so intriguing! I can't wait until travel restrictions are lifted so I can go there and have a good look at some of those things myself!!!

I did wonder if it was some sort of crystal deposit (quartz?).
But, on Earth certainly, crystals generally grow in geometric patterns with straight sides, rather than curling, as appears in the photo.

Fulgurites can be produced by an asteroid impact - which may be more likely on Mars.
Still not sure that fits with the curled shape though.

Lightning is mostly very weak on Mars because of a thin atmosphere.
The atmosphere was a lot thicker in the past, and there were ancient oceans, so there'd have been a lot more weather. Fulgurites are effectively glass, which will persist over geologic eras (glass'll break down slowly in moist conditions, but most of Mars has been dry and cold for a very, very long time).

Hmm. Interesting stuff. Seems like Curiosity may be showing a distinct lack of curiosity.

Curiosity snapped this rather odd, wedge-shaped object.
It's approximately 3 x 2.5 metres, is of notably darker material than the surrounding terrain and appears to have sharply delineated edges.

Some rather silly claims in the article, but the object surely merited a closer look by Curiosity.

View attachment 47542

https://anomalien.com/the-wreckage-of-the-alien-ship-was-discovered-by-a-researcher-on-mars/
Looks like an open-topped boat.
Left over from a previous, long-dead civilisation.

Looks like an open-topped boat.
Left over from a previous, long-dead civilisation.

Crikey, Mytho, it does indeed. It's even got the little wooden cross-pieces to sit on while you're rowing. Remarkable, if it is just a simulacrum. If they got in closer, maybe we would be able to see the rowlocks (matron!)

Curiosity snapped this rather odd, wedge-shaped object.
It's approximately 3 x 2.5 metres, is of notably darker material than the surrounding terrain and appears to have sharply delineated edges.

Some rather silly claims in the article, but the object surely merited a closer look by Curiosity.

View attachment 47542

https://anomalien.com/the-wreckage-of-the-alien-ship-was-discovered-by-a-researcher-on-mars/
I get the impression that it is like a hole that has appeared at the top of a collapsed underground chasm, leaving remnants of a kind of torn apart upper surface structure in view through the dark hole.

Back