• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

Doesn't look like anything to me.

BUT

Is it just me, or does the whole big show NASA put on to announce "oh there was water by god!" seem like an ENORMOUS cop-out? Honestly, who DIDN'T already know that there was liquid water on Mars? This is something that's been established time and time again. There was no reason for NASA to hype that up as much as they did.

hey Arthur & Niles!!

Doesn't look like anything to me.
Sertile...Well , that maybe a good thing!! Every since I found that picture and have been researching it, I have been trying to look at it like that!! But, I can't!! And I've taken copies to my store and ask folks " hey, what does this look like to you? (without saying its from Mars) and EVERYONE says "bones and skull of (fish,dog, dino..) most say fish..when I say its a picture I took off the JPL site, they look...dazed,suprised, or think I'm joking (who me!!??) but I tell 'em I just printed and circled nothing else..SOME now think we landed in the Nevada dessert now!! ..well gotta run back to work ..Just keep studying that picture and MAYBE one of you out there with know how and skill and who has time can post a real good picture of that picture..and find some other objects in it..and why hasn't anyone else mentioned this (maybe missed it?) ..(like that Beckjord guy..I bet that cat could find a image of the BVM ,elvis,bigfoot..ad infinitum):eek!!!!:

Hmmmm, I was wondering where I had left that thing!

BTW: When are you people going to send up Martha Stewart to clean up all this mess you made?

If not soon,then it's all going in the trash!

Strange..

last night me and Rowdy were just getting ready to dig into a late 8 pm dinner (Steak 'N shake, ever heard of it? its a pure joy of a hamburger eat there or takehomeasack) and my doorbell rang..ding dong..I looked at Rowdy and said."now who the hell can that be!! (also thinking, "glad I said, hold the onions old boy!) but, as I peeked out the front door min-blinds..there was no woman to come calling..but a strange looking man standing there with a long "black" flashlight!! hmmmm.. well being not the meek looking sort of dude (I'm a cross between snake plissken & Jeff Bridges) I beefed my self up..looked around at Rowdy (who had left to god nos where) and pulled open the door..YES? ..I said . Howdy! the man said, "Charlie sent me over to fertilize your lawn....Huh? I said, (just then thinking Jezzzsus!! NSA found out I found a fish on Mars!! ) but then reflecting a bit , I remembered my Lawn man Charlie told me a couple of weeks before that he would be fertilizing my lawn, soon. It had been rainning a bit off and on all day and more expected over the next couple of days..he had mentioned the lawn would need lots of water after ..so , he jumped on it with one of his crew, (never did this at night before) so anyway my food was a bit cold. but fine nither the less.

comments on some apparently unseen pictures of the "crab claw" ("bunny ears")

To all:

With respect to what is coming to be called the "crab claw", in some circles, and, evidently, derogatorily, as "the bunny ears", in others, the web page, http://www.space.com/scienceandastronomy/mars_bunny_040310.html, the article, "Mars Opportunity: Hopping Along the 'Bunny' Trail", you see some of the comments apparently ubiquitous in the "traditional science" community, suggesting that interpreting the branched object shown in Opportunity's photos as anything other than detritus from the spacecraft is silly at best and psychotic at worst.

Very significant on the page, though, are two illustrations they offer of the object. Actually, three photographs are displayed, with links to pages that show the pictures in larger size, but two are of special interest. One of the pictures is the traditional one, taken from the lander, the first picture of the object, and, for the most part, the only picture of the object widely current, so far.

The other two pictures can be immensely important, however.

One is a black and white, evidently all but previously unseen, showing a splotch that is claimed to be the object, but, now, underneath one of the fold out panels of the lander. For all that the perspective is claimed to be unusual for Mars, being smaller than earth, it still seems too far away, in the original picture, to get covered by the lander's flaps. A point that may be being pushed is that the object was light, and was pushed by the wind, suggesting that it's just some foam from the lander.

The second offering on the web page seems pointed in the same direction. This is an animated gif, composed of three pictures of the object, taken "two minutes apart". In the sequence, the right branch of the object is depicted as moving to the left. It moves only a small distance, but the pictures do indicate its position to be different! The "explanation" given again insists that the object has to be some foam, and uses as "proof" the fact that, as the page with the larger picture claims, "the object can move in a light wind".

For all the overweaning gloating that "traditional science" engages in, proclaiming its reliance on "scrupulous reasoning", in fact, they are shockingly slipshod, and evidently geared only to "justify" their desired assertions. The first problem is the statement that the object must be light, because it is moving in a light wind. Yet there is no indication of a wind being present, at that time! Sand particles don't seem to be moving, and there seem no signs of the material on the flaps errantly moving to block the camera, after they were unfurled. Also, as transfixed as so many have been about the purported conditions transmitted from the lander, they would love to have been told if there was a wind! And NASA would have been more than happy to comply! It seems clear, then, that there was no wind to make the object move! They are asserting the unquestionability of their conclusion first, then deriving "facts" from that! They are saying that the object is foam from the lander, and that that is light, and that that must be what it is, without question! They then derive the assertion that there must have been a light wind, since the "foam" - don't even think of questioning that, because you have been ordered to think that's what it is! - is moving! They then, surreptitiously, turn it around, saying that it must be foam, because it is moving in the light wind that must be blowing there, because that would mean that it must be moving because it's light, which would mean that it must be foam!

Even more significant, though, is the nature of the pictures themselves. In the three photos, the right branch of the object moves steadily and unswervingly to the left! Those who want to fight the use of reasoning here would insist that that is proof of a wind, since the wind would constantly be moving in the one direction, right to left in the scene. But, even in a low pressure environment, with only a light wind, a piece of foam would not take two minutes to bend, maybe, 2 millimeters, then another two minutes to bend another 2 millimeters! The natural springiness of the material would cause it to sway back and forth, especially in a thin atmosphere, and light wind! A force so minimal that it would take four minutes to impel the foam branch, say, 4 millimeters would not have enough strength to keep it from oscillating back and forth! In which case, one of the pictures would have had to show it rocking the other way! It is entirely unlikely to think that the photographs were taken at the precise moments to coincide with the branch accidentally oscillating, first, 2 millimeters to the left, then 4 millimeters to the left!

But, if the object were a creature, moving its branch sluggishly to the left at a constant velocity, then the camera would have caught it in those positions, at those moments!

The reliance on the evidently conclusion-oriented pseudo-logical manipulation of facts that seems to hold sway in "traditional science", these days, seems without question. But you can't let the fact that they just stand there insisting that they know more than you do, so your only choice is to just shut up and believe what they tell you to believe, lead you to sign away your spirit!

Julian Penrod

Last edited by a moderator:
The fossil, if thats what its is, is discussed on Hoagland's website. He claims that when NASA noticed it they immediatly used the grinder to destroy it. (But still released the photo, why is NASA so increadibly inept at covering up stuff ?)

dannycheveaux: If you are going to post links to giant size jpg images can you please give some warning. That download nearly crippled my computer. Nice pic when I got it.

A smaller version of the photo at APOD. According to them its the lander's heat shield.

what the heck is this!!!!

159.148.95.19/mars_images.htm
Link is dead. The MIA image file can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040112021637/http://159.148.95.19/mars_images.htm

Here's the image ...

nasa_ped.jpg

:eek!!!!:

[edit]Ahh sucks!! Its fake!! I found the panoramic photo and found exact area and its not there!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Almost Convincing"

My best friend for the past 36 years is that most rara of avises, an Honest Skeptic.

Over the years I've shown her numerous photographs of putative Martian "ruins" and her reaction was almost always "it's most likely just an optical illusion, but it's ALMOST convincing."

But one day she said, "you know, these 'almost convincings' are starting to ADD UP."

She's also pointed out that these massed 'almost convincings' occur only on Mars and not on the other planetary surfaces of which we now have photographs.

That’s one small step ... on Mars?

Red Planet footprint turns out to be not all that alien
By Alan Boyle
Science editor
MSNBC

Updated: 12:48 p.m. ET June 2, 2006

Do Martians wear size-11 shoes? Or do we have evidence that the Mars rover missions are merely a hoax — an "X-Files" conspiracy as far-reaching as the fake trip to Mars portrayed in the movie "Capricorn One"?

One of the pictures in our latest "Month in Space" roundup led some readers to ask those kinds of questions. Toward the left edge of the 10th image in the set, you can make out a waffle-shoe kind of pattern in the sands of Meridiani Planum.

"I would like to know if anyone at MSNBC can explain why there is a footprint in the photo called 'Ripples on the Road' on the slide show?" one reader asked. "The caption states that the picture is from NASA's Opportunity rover on Mars. Last I checked, humans haven't been to Mars yet."

Some folks even thought that we were in on the conspiracy:
K.W.: "Maybe it's just me, but I think you guys are full of [expletive]. I can distinctly make out on the left-hand side of this photo a shoeprint ... a size 11 maybe. This photo was staged, as the Mars Rover runs on tracks and does not walk (in shoes, for that matter). You see, the mark does not indicate a continuous run as a wheeled or tracked vehicle would leave behind. Who do you think you're foolin' with this [expletive]?"

A closer look at the picture, such as the shot we've included here or the larger-resolution version from NASA, shows more clearly that the "footprint" is indeed the track of a rover wheel going over the rugged Martian terrain. The track doesn't appear continuous because it goes over bedrock, and because the rover's turns, stops and starts spoil the smooth impressions of the wheel tracks. The shades of Martian soil can also vary between light and dark — a phenomenon that geologists are still puzzling over.

You can see the footprint effect more clearly in this "stretched-color" photo of Opportunity's trail toward Victoria Crater. Crank the view up to full resolution for an even sharper view.

The footprints thus take their place among the alien-looking but not really alien features that have shown up in pictures sent back from the rovers, including bunny ears, rover rotini and blueberries.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13101382/

I hope I posted this in the right place. Fortean, yes. UFOs, not really. Aliens and/or alien intelligence is more like it, but UFOlogy is the closest match I could find.

A few weeks ago, while idly browsing NASA images of the Martian surface, I started noticing wierd looking objects that stood out from the normal rocks. These include various organic and artificial-looking objects. Most notably, the Martian surface is crawling with "worms".

I decided to share my findings on the web, to see how other people interpret the images. I created a website - www.smeti.com - with the aim of getting people to leave their thoughts on what some of these objects might be. Please feel free to take a look and leave your comments.

When I saw your x-tian cross, before I read the title I thought it was an aeroplane.
I love simulacra...or real stuff on mars ;)

'Harry the Hedgehog' is my favourite thing on your site.

This little fellow, whom I named Harry, appears to be a hedgehog-like creature (or "groundhog" if you're American),

A very small, pedantic point though, a hedgehog and a groundhog aren't the same thing. :)

I like Harry the Hedgehog too.

I think the Crab Bunny is actually part of the lander, I think I've seen it before.

I noticed that underneath the square (the picture with the tripod and grooved rock) directly under the square, there is a triangle as well

Howdy folks!!

hey sorry I've been on secret missions and such and ..well I'm back.

But what I want to bring forth is a subject that I've brought up b4.

this here skull I found on Mars from the spirit rover Sol 006.

If any of you New folks that haven't seen this yet , could just go throught this here information ...

and give me your thoughts.

thanks !!

Ruff :D

go here and read these threads and research etc...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread266899/pg1

About Bloody time! :D

And it wasn't a skull, it was a bit of screwed up Bacofoil, that fell off the lander. ;)

hey dude!! whats shaken!!

No!! Your thinkin aboot the rabbit !! this is different!! see the pic and come on back !! :p

That looks more like the skull of Basil Brush (famous BBC TV personality).

basil.jpg

Could it be that one of his illustrious ancestors made it to the Red Planet? :shock:

this made me go WTF!!
FROM the spirit rover Sol 006 panoramic view row 18 colum 1
click for image

A FISH HEAD I FOUND ON MARS !!!

WE ARE NOT ALONE !!

FOUND THROUGH MYSELF NAVEL INTELIGENCE

stu edit - huuuge picture made into clickable link

ruffready said:
..FOUND THROUGH MYSELF NAVEL INTELIGENCE
Are we talking about buddhism, here? Anyway, you alright there, Ruff? You seem to have been on the Amber (prefer my Macallan as it comes, thanks all the same..)

A fish head? On Mars? Are you mad? What possible chance is there that the head of a fish, any fish, would be sitting on Mars' surface? Bloody ridiculous.

Clearly, it's nothing more than a velociraptor bursting through the surface. Now, let's have no more of this "fish on Mars" nonsense.

:roll:

Of COURSE it's a fish. They have canals on Mars, don't they? What do you use canals for? Fishing, that's what!*

*of course, finding a bike wheel, rusty shopping trolley or old boot would make the same point.

Back