• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd, Unexplainable Appearances

Years ago I took the greyhound bus from Perth to Sydney. Took about two days if I remember. People kept saying ''why don't you fly'', but I wanted to see a bit of Oz. Not too much to see on that route, granted, but at least I saw that there wasn't a lot to see- if you, er, see.
I used to get that. I lived in Australia in 1988 and travelled from Sydney up to Cairns (by train with stops at Brisbane, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Innisfail - for white water rafting), back down through Mt Isa to Alice Springs by train/bus including the 'scenic' delights of Mt Isa; then Alice to Adelaide/Melbourne/Canberra Sydney by train. I'll always go for train over bus where possible.

In 1996 I cycled from Cairns to Melbourne down the east coast, including a stop at Goulburn - 36 days riding for 2700 miles, a healthy 75 miles daily average but I took extended breaks in Brisbane and Sydney. If my knees survive and I get enough fitness I still want to ride from Sydney to Perth or vice versa - different direction depending on the time of year because of prevailing winds. I'm 56, so it might be a bit of an effort... my thinking is to do it on an Airnimal folding bike, which fits in a suitcase that then transforms into a trailer (I'll need a fair amount of water cycling the Nullarbor). In the early 2000s I rode 3000 miles in three months in Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, the USA and an afternoon in Tijuana. Oh to be young again!!

No particular Fortean experiences but two striking coincidences on my travels: on my first flight to Australia I sat next to a friend of my uncle in Sydney - he's a four-time Olympic water polo player and she knew him through that (wife of a team-mate or something like that). The other was on my tour around the country. My best friend from home came over to Sydney a few months after me, even staying with me for a few weeks. I did my trip anti-clockwise from Sydney in about six weeks, my friend set off later anti-clockwise and this was in the pre-internet/pre-mobile era so there was no contact... until we bumped into each other at the Ayers Rock (now Uluru) campground/accommodation. That was a bit of a shock, as 999 times out of 1000 or more this wouldn't happen.

I spent an evening at the accommodation drinking beer with an ex-wife of one of the members of Argent!

Oh to be young again!!!!!

Bloody hell CB2.

I loved your bus/train journey through that big circle, but the cycling from Cairns to Melbourne - it's a long way to go for a cup of coffee mate!

What a journey though, and, the perfect pace for absorbing it...I think that I'm a liittle bit jealous. It is possible though, to take these journeys not so much as on a whim but something close to a whim, and to choose the mode and season because they will fit together so well.

Wonderful!

And the sights to be seen!!

Looking back at the original post, it reminded me a bit of a much less spectacular experience Mrs Asparagus and I had a few years ago while on holiday in the Scottish Highlands. We were staying near Plockton and one morning took a walk to the top of a hill which overlooked a small watery inlet with land on the other side. We both saw a small isolated house by the water on the other side and I even glimpsed it through my binoculars in greater detail before my hand wavered and it went out of sight. But then I couldn't find it again! I put down the binoculars (my wife had been admiring the view in a different direction) and when we both looked back at the other side there was no building there at all.

I wish I'd paid the 'house' more attention, we both saw it and remarked what a nice place to live but didn't look that hard. My best explanation is that there never was a house there at all but maybe a rectangular object which we assumed was the front of a house. Possibly a parked lorry? There was a small road going along the side of the water and if it had driven off fast at the right moment perhaps it could have got all the way to the end and turned out of sight before we noticed. To be honest this isn't a very good explanation but it is the best I can come up with.

Looking back at the original post, it reminded me a bit of a much less spectacular experience Mrs Asparagus and I had a few years ago while on holiday in the Scottish Highlands. We were staying near Plockton and one morning took a walk to the top of a hill which overlooked a small watery inlet with land on the other side. We both saw a small isolated house by the water on the other side and I even glimpsed it through my binoculars in greater detail before my hand wavered and it went out of sight. But then I couldn't find it again! I put down the binoculars (my wife had been admiring the view in a different direction) and when we both looked back at the other side there was no building there at all.

I wish I'd paid the 'house' more attention, we both saw it and remarked what a nice place to live but didn't look that hard. My best explanation is that there never was a house there at all but maybe a rectangular object which we assumed was the front of a house. Possibly a parked lorry? There was a small road going along the side of the water and if it had driven off fast at the right moment perhaps it could have got all the way to the end and turned out of sight before we noticed. To be honest this isn't a very good explanation but it is the best I can come up with.
Or you saw an actual house through a time tunnel?

This subject allows me to gather thoughts on the possible situation of buildings that we walk/drive past that really aren't there...how many times has it been done, only for the house/garage to slowwwly fade out of view with us being not the wiser...

We hear of people seeing chronological anomalies, with some even being absorbed into them for a short time - a challenge to our complacent reality. I think I understand why it's known by some as 'the here, and now'.

Maybe that's what all this is about. Maybe we are an anchor point in a maelstrom of energy...that we slow down to become matter for the duration of our existence

Maybe The Doctor was right...you know, about time not being a strict progression of cause to effect, and instead, it follows it's own vague laws, leaving us scratching our heads.

I'm now 66, and have had some serious surgery, requiring biggest mobs of Class A medication. Since my first incidence, 5 year ago, I have been experiencing little episodes where I'm spacing out, being aware of what is around me, but within my head I am participating in another life.

There is no trigger, it doesn't happen more when I'm tired, or have been exerting myself.

This life has a clarity and consistency of conversations with people that i have no idea about, or of, yet I know that they have been part of my life for some time - decades in fact. My headspace is quite different - my anxiety level is throttled way back, and it's a delight to be there.

Is this what they class as a daydream?

I've had what I thought were day dreams and this is far more than that.

Is it my age? It could be, I suppose.

These occurrences aren't cause for a state of alarm - quite the opposite in fact.

life is odd, just when you get the hang of it, it morphs into another level - maybe this is just another level. I daresay I'll grow out of it...

There is a man named Robert Moss who does shamanic dream workshops. IIRC, as a small boy he had several serious health episodes where he was technically dead. During one he lived another complete life as one of another humanoid life forms, growing up, having a family, and dying. Then he was revived and was a little boy again. Another explorer of mystic experiences, who wrote under the name of "Ophiel", wrote in one of his books that when we dream, we live another life "over there" than we live when we're "over here" (awake).

It's impossible to tell whether they actually had separate existences in a different dimension or experienced something their brains created. Perhaps your experience is similar to theirs. Whether due to meds, seizures, or an existence in another dimension, you may never know for certain.

I wish I'd paid the 'house' more attention, we both saw it and remarked what a nice place to live but didn't look that hard. My best explanation is that there never was a house there at all but maybe a rectangular object which we assumed was the front of a house.
I had a similar experience at a place called Pyramid Lake near Reno, Nevada. Looking across the water from where I was, it looked like there was a fancy pagoda like chalet complex along the shore. The illusion was very convincing, even though I knew it had to be some type of natural formation. It's really just rocks.

(PS-is your avatar a picture of Kitty Asparagus? My cat loved asparagus. She's long gone but she still makes me smile.)

Hello Ibis, my avatar is a picture of our much-loved cross-eyed tabby cat Bubble. He used to love to cling to the roof of the MG that parks across from our house. He died a few years ago aged 13, set on by a pack of dogs outside our front door. We still miss him.

Your cat sounds lovely. I didn't know cats might like asparagus. I'll try it on our current cats Treacle and Splodge.

Hello Ibis, my avatar is a picture of our much-loved cross-eyed tabby cat Bubble. He used to love to cling to the roof of the MG that parks across from our house. He died a few years ago aged 13, set on by a pack of dogs outside our front door. We still miss him.

Your cat sounds lovely. I didn't know cats might like asparagus. I'll try it on our current cats Treacle and Splodge.

I 'liked' this in admiration for Bubble and sympathy over his awful end. Poor Pussy. One of ours was killed by a dog and I complained to the owners who weren't bothered. I told the police and they didn't care either, until I vehemently pointed out that a nasty dog might attack a child next and I'd be onto the press when it did. Owner then had a grudging police visit.

Good for you, escargot. I'm really sorry about your cat. This guy had five dogs on leads coming down our street and made little attempt to pull his dog off Bubble. He ran a dog charity in town and was very blase and unapologetic afterwards. The Police visited him and told him he'd have to muzzle his dogs when they were out, but they said to us that if he ignored that order there was nothing they could do. And he did ignore it. But I think he has moved out of town now.

Good for you, escargot. I'm really sorry about your cat. This guy had five dogs on leads coming down our street and made little attempt to pull his dog off Bubble. He ran a dog charity in town and was very blase and unapologetic afterwards. The Police visited him and told him he'd have to muzzle his dogs when they were out, but they said to us that if he ignored that order there was nothing they could do. And he did ignore it. But I think he has moved out of town now.
I'm frankly shocked and disgusted that someone who is a 'pet lover' should be so unempathetic about the pain and suffering of another creature.

Sounds like something that could dealt with through an ASBO.

I had a similar, momentary sighting of a non-existant building the other day whilst walking the dog. I looked out over the hill to the nearby small town, and for a second, just a fleeting moment, I saw a large, brown, barn-type structure in the area behind the church (which is a sort of natural meadow). It was just long enough for my brain to go 'what on earth is that building?' and then I looked back and it was just an empty space and a field again.

I think on this occasion my eyes were just filling in a gap, because, if the building had existed, it would have been out of scale with the other nearby buildings.

How do you know that your ancestors migrated from Libya to what would become the UK?
Can that be ascertained from a DNA test?

Is it possible that your ancestors included Roman soldiers who were Libyan and sent to live in the Cotswolds?
The science of the DNA is too complicated for me to explain (as in, I don't really understand it), but as I understand it DNA contains various markers and back through the centuries they can take a good guess at who was where and when. It's like we leave a trail of DNA as we move around through the centuries. This particular company (Living DNA) provide a booklet that explains how that works, relating to my particular DNA.

I was stamped 100% British, which I think must be quite rare, although I understand now that the latest thinking on the subject is that most British people have less DNA of our various conquerers in us than was originally thought.

Anyway, my DNA has not shown up anywhere else in the world so far, other than where my people have already been, so it doesn't look like my family emigrated at any time. Or maybe they did, but didn't reproduce in any significant numbers.

There is a man named Robert Moss who does shamanic dream workshops. IIRC, as a small boy he had several serious health episodes where he was technically dead. During one he lived another complete life as one of another humanoid life forms, growing up, having a family, and dying. Then he was revived and was a little boy again. Another explorer of mystic experiences, who wrote under the name of "Ophiel", wrote in one of his books that when we dream, we live another life "over there" than we live when we're "over here" (awake).

It's impossible to tell whether they actually had separate existences in a different dimension or experienced something their brains created. Perhaps your experience is similar to theirs. Whether due to meds, seizures, or an existence in another dimension, you may never know for certain.

I suppose that the re-action then, is to question what is reality IbisNibs.

My oldest Daughter, as a child in her crib would wake up and talk as an adult for the first twenty words or so, causing me to think that children dream as adults in a cognitive sense. If that is the case, then to me, the mimicking of the adult in a child's dream underscores the importance of sleep, and then dreaming, to a developing human being.

Faith would then go back to talking as a two year old.

As a child growing up, she did have a constant companion - an old man - and the last time I brought the subject up, the older gentleman was still with her.

Faith is one of the most rational people that I know - practical, down to earth, and if you want a straight answer - ask Faith - Faith is the last person that I could imagine still having an invisible friend at the age of 40, yet, there you go...

Which brings me back to the question of reality.

I like the old saw, heard in many a temple, that with our thoughts, we create our world. Or maybe that should be worlds...and if that is the case, do we also create our afterlife...if there is such a thing. I am in horror of those whose idea of an afterlife is plunking away on a harp, on a cloud - or conversely, judging themselves to only deserve a pit of fire, lakes of brimstone with sulphurous atmospheres - or even worse, those whose ideas come from paintings done by Hieronymous Bosch.

We sometimes hear about a child who's mauled or killed by a dog, usually one owned by the family. I always wonder if the dog has killed cats beforehand. It's a bad sign.
Some people who kill other people also start with killing cats! What a nasty and cruel obsession, harming cats (or others).

I wonder what "reality" is all the time!

I suppose that reality is that which is most representative in day to day existence.

Just thinking on the Australian Aborigines Ngunyapippi, or Dreaming, to keep it simple, it is that which presents itself more so than the other. If it is peopled by strange entities, whose existence and method of existence is phantastich, then that is reality I reckon for some.

We have something similar in Europe with The Good People, and Robin Goodfellow - Weylan the Smith, Herne the hunter. To some people who include their representation in their day to day existence - then that is their reality.

My Grandmother would leave a saucer of milk out each night "for the hedgehogs", even though the saucer was always left in side the house and always in her kitchen. Grandma's reality.

Reality - that which is real?

But, if you are asking if all the people and situations that you come across every day is something that your mind is creating, and that the worlds existence is due to you. I don't know.

As for me...This is the only reality I am aware of so I'll accept it with gratitude. There are others worse off than me.

So very sad and unnecessary. The dog should have been restrained and the human. . . .still thinking of what revenge I'd want for humans like that.

Back