Offensive Bagpipes?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
McDonald's branch drives locals crazy blasting bagpipe music meant to keep away homeless

The fast-food joint in America came under fire from furious residents over the noise which some same can be heard through the walls.

Source: Scottish Daily Record online
Date: 4 January, 2020

A McDonald's in America angered locals after blaring bagpipe music over its speakers - to drive off homeless people.

The fast-food joint in Sacramento, California, came under fire from furious residents over the noise which some same can be heard through the walls.

Baffled customers say when they complained to three managers at the restaurant, they simply replied "what bagpipes?", according to CBS Sacramento.

Other nearby resident say the music is played "24/7".

Source:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mcdonalds-branch-drives-locals-crazy-21215962

Last edited by a moderator:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
McDonald's branch drives locals crazy blasting bagpipe music meant to keep away homeless

The fast-food joint in America came under fire from furious residents over the noise which some same can be heard through the walls.

Source: Scottish Daily Record online
Date: 4 January, 2020

A McDonald's in America angered locals after blaring bagpipe music over its speakers - to drive off homeless people.

The fast-food joint in Sacramento, California, came under fire from furious residents over the noise which some same can be heard through the walls.

Baffled customers say when they complained to three managers at the restaurant, they simply replied "what bagpipes?", according to CBS Sacramento.

Other nearby resident say the music is played "24/7".

https://www-dailyrecord-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mcdonalds-branch-drives-locals-crazy-21215962.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mcdonalds-branch-drives-locals-crazy-21215962
Please edit the URL to make it directly lead to the article.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Please edit the URL to make it directly lead to the article.
If you don't mean the Daily Record link, which is fine, then why?

If highlighting a news article reporting on a scientific paper, do we post a link to that paper itself?

The Daily Record article was relevant for its Scottish connection and already has a link to the original CBS Sacramento posting.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon? it's the distance from the item.

We try and make the place resilient.

Please just do it, understand it or not. If you need further enlightenment then take this to PM AFTER you've fixed the problem.

Frides

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient

Please just do it, understand it or not. If you need further enlightenment then take this to PM AFTER you've fixed the problem.

Frides
Probably for the best if I make this my last post.

Wrong forum though, no doubt.

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
Your link goes via Google: Daily Record > Google > Daily Record.

In general, we want just one 'www.' prefix.

I'll correct it now--you'll see it get a lot shorter!
Helpful.

Frides
Not so helpful.

@Comfortably Numb, don't do a runner over this. You're one of the good guys. Be a shame to lose your contribution over such a trivial misunderstanding. It was rather unfriendly, but I'm sure it wasn't intented to offend you. Hope you come back once you've cooled off, mate.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
@Comfortably Numb, don't do a runner over this. You're one of the good guys. Be a shame to lose your contribution over such a trivial misunderstanding. It was rather unfriendly, but I'm sure it wasn't intented to offend you. Hope you come back once you've cooled off, mate.
Unfortunately, it looks like Comfortably Numb has unsubscribed already. :(

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Be a shame to lose your contribution over such a trivial misunderstanding.

Hope you come back once you've cooled off, mate.
OK... 'split the difference'...?

A: I am genuinely certain no harsh criticism was intended.

B: Somewhat ironically, I have more than once, championed the good folks who make this all possible.

C: Neither of the above matter in relation to your good self and others having taking the time here.

D: This might well be a factor... wee 8-year-old granddaughter implored that I stop smoking. That's three days now and I've been a, 'Bear wi a sore heid'...

Mitigating...? I did mention in the Troll's Head that I had just received some awful news about a close relative.

Guess I was on a right downer already...

That’s not like myself at all, especially being impulsive and, 'taking the huff' like a wean (Scottish for young child!).

Good moderators, your salient advice (once I had understood!), well noted.

Screenshot_20200105_144717_compress44.jpg

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
My last post on this topic and hope it's relevant in the context of, 'bagpipes somehow perceived to be irritating'.

Plus, it's Boris Johnson speaking in 2015.

Boris Johnson aims to ban ‘annoying’ bagpipes
Date: 25 April, 2015​
BORIS Johnson has effectively banned the “piercing sound” of bagpipes from the streets of London, with pipers told to find locations “with no flats, offices, shops or hotels”.
The London mayor recently announced the city’s first “code of conduct” for buskers, with new rules covering where to busk, complaint handling and money collection.
However, the noble bagpipe has fallen foul of the new regulations as, under the new code, it is classed as a “repetitive loud sound” alongside acts featuring beatboxing, highly amplified guitars and hard “attack” sounds like drums – each of which “can become annoying quickly”.
The Greater London Authority launched a Busk In London website to great fanfare last month, detailing the new rules for the city’s buskers.
Under the heading of “Your Performance”, the site states: “Some sounds can become annoying more quickly. For example: repetitive sounds like some types of percussion or beatbox- ing; loud sounds like highly amplified guitars; hard ‘attack’ sounds like drums; piercing sounds like bagpipes.
“If your act has these, move regularly or find locations with no flats, offices, shops or hotels.”
“The dismissive attitudes reveal an unjustified bias against the pipes.”
Article Continues:​

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
So how is it that a McD's franchise owner has determined that bagpipe music is an anathema to homeless people?
That's an interesting question and definitely my last post on this topic!

You would think they might relentlessly play something so dreadful, it would drive the homeless away.

Hmmm... 'The Birdie Song', or 'Gangnam Style' perhaps?

Can you imagine the outcry if McDonald's tried this tactic in the UK! :evillaugh:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
You would think they might relentlessly play something so dreadful, it would drive the homeless away.
I don't know much about the music most hated by homeless folk. I do know that piped classical music was advocated as a way of driving away feral youths from their congregation-points; it was so uncool! Around the same time, there was a promotion for a device called The Mosquito. This generated a high-frequency tone which was distressing to adolescents. Old fogeys could not hear it. I actually have an MP3 of the tone. I could not hear it at the time - about 15 years ago, so I don't think it is worth trying it now! :oops:

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
the music most hated by
You've been driven out of society into a life of destitution and discomfort, shunned by the uncaring masses and resenting everything they stand for, What is the last thing you want to be forced to listen to as you crawl inside that flea-infested blanket for a few hours of oblivion, of complete remove from the pain of your situation, cowering in the extreme alcove of a Burger King by the heating vent on Christmas Eve?
?
?

This

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Around the same time, there was a promotion for a device called The Mosquito. This generated a high-frequency tone which was distressing to adolescents. Old fogeys could not hear it. I actually have an MP3 of the tone. I could not hear it at the time - about 15 years ago, so I don't think it is worth trying it now! :oops:
We have a thread on that subject ...

The Mosquito: An Anti-Teenager Sonic Weapon
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-mosquito-an-anti-teenager-sonic-weapon.24158/

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
There's content and then there's volume. I like piper music, but when a visiting friend demonstrated her piping to us, (outdoors, and we were quickly worried about "What will the neighbors think of us?") I was astounded by the loudness. I enjoyed her skill (content), but it was earsplitting in our side yard (volume). The official London regulations are a pretty great idea, but harsh and judgmental in their descriptions. Couldn't they simply say "Not so loud, and please take note where you are playing."?
And don't get me started on being an involuntary listener. I think busking is a horrible idea, I think music in restaurants and stores is a horrible idea, I think having a powerful sound system in your slow-moving car blasting rap is a horrible idea. People who want to listen to music have lots of ways to hear it. People who want their ears to hear just birds, or rustling leaves, or children playing are unfairly hijacked by buskers and bassers and such.