Oh, The Irony

uair01

Justified & Ancient

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
White Aussie Lives Matter.

For at least a year, the biggest page on Facebook purporting to be part of the Black Lives Matter movement was a scam with ties to a middle-aged white man in Australia, a review of the page and associated accounts and websites conducted by CNN shows.

The page, titled simply "Black Lives Matter," had almost 700,000 followers on Facebook, more than twice as many as the official Black Lives Matter page. It was tied to online fundraisers that brought in at least $100,000 that supposedly went to Black Lives Matter causes in the U.S. At least some of the money, however, was transferred to Australian bank accounts, CNN has learned.

More Here:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/09/technology/fake-black-lives-matter-facebook-page/index.html

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Meanwhile, the House speaker whom Mr Ryan replaced - John Boehner - announced on Twitter he is joining the board of a legal cannabis corporation "because my thinking on cannabis has evolved".

The Ohio Republican, who retired from politics in 2015, once said he was "unalterably opposed" to legalising marijuana.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Meanwhile, the House speaker whom Mr Ryan replaced - John Boehner - announced on Twitter he is joining the board of a legal cannabis corporation "because my thinking on cannabis has evolved".

The Ohio Republican, who retired from politics in 2015, once said he was "unalterably opposed" to legalising marijuana.
He probably finally tried smoking some weed and thought 'that's good shit'.
The man is now a stoner.

The man is now a stoner.
I can only be happy that he changed his mind. He's already a paid lobbyist for several companies including the Reynolds tobacco company who pay him $400,000 pa, so his conversion may be related to a consultancy fee.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The man is now a stoner.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Kevin Smith becoming a stoner ..

1: before, during and immediately after directing cult classic film 'CLERKS' .. he wasn't a stoner. He played one onscreen as Silent Bob, half of the duo Jay and Bob who sold weed outside of the QuickStop.

2: Jay wasn't a stoner during that film: Jay was a heroin addict (maybe he also smoked the odd spliff during this time. I don't know).

3: During all, of this and to date, Kevin Smith was clean of doing any dugs. We're led to believe.

4: Jay wasn't able to star in any way in 'Jersey Girl' because Jay was, at the time, on the run from the police for driving with a deployed airbag. Jay gets sent to rehab. The airbag thing gets a jokey mention in CLERKS 2

5: Fast forward to recent(ish) times and Jay is 100% clean (and I actually believe him) but, and here's the reason I posted this in this thread, Kevin Smith has decided to take up smoking pot ? .. fair play to him and all but after detoxing his best mate over about a decade or two, why has he decided to start getting high for the first time ever ?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Kevin Smith becoming a stoner ..

1: before, during and immediately after directing cult classic film 'CLERKS' .. he wasn't a stoner. He played one onscreen as Silent Bob, half of the duo Jay and Bob who sold weed outside of the QuickStop.

2: Jay wasn't a stoner during that film: Jay was a heroin addict (maybe he also smoked the odd spliff during this time. I don't know).

3: During all, of this and to date, Kevin Smith was clean of doing any dugs. We're led to believe.

4: Jay wasn't able to star in any way in 'Jersey Girl' because Jay was, at the time, on the run from the police for driving with a deployed airbag. Jay gets sent to rehab. The airbag thing gets a jokey mention in CLERKS 2

5: Fast forward to recent(ish) times and Jay is 100% clean (and I actually believe him) but, and here's the reason I posted this in this thread, Kevin Smith has decided to take up smoking pot ? .. fair play to him and all but after detoxing his best mate over about a decade or two, why has he decided to start getting high for the first time ever ?
After his recent heart attack, maybe he thought he needed to find a way to calm down? A bit drastic, though - meditation would be so much healthier.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
After his recent heart attack, maybe he thought he needed to find a way to calm down? A bit drastic, though - meditation would be so much healthier.
He started toking before his heart attack and after years of helping his mate Jay to become clean.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Former race-relations advisor charged with racism.

Mr Adunbi of Easton, Bristol, was charged with a racially aggravated public order offence following an incident at a betting shop in Stapleton Road, Bristol, on 29 March.

He has been released on conditional bail to appear at Bristol Magistrates' Court on 22 May.
Hardly any info about the incident though, just loads about him being tasered by a police officer. She is being charged too.

skinny

Antediluvian
Not a dot about what he did to earn this charge. He appears dready enough to be either a nazi rasta terrorist or a ganja peacenik. Who the fuk knows?

Not a dot about what he did to earn this charge. He appears dready enough to be either a nazi rasta terrorist or a ganja peacenik. Who the fuk knows?
The fact the cop is being charged as well suggests a very interesting take. I bet her taser was charged!

Who grassed on her?

Drug minister Victoria Atkins’s husband oversees cannabis farm

The drugs minister has been accused of a “massive conflict of interest” after it emerged that her husband operates Britain’s largest cannabis farm.

Victoria Atkins has now stopped speaking for the government on cannabis and other aspects of her drugs brief. The Home Office said she had “voluntarily recused herself from policy or decisions relating to cannabis”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...inss-husband-oversees-cannabis-farm-hv5q25pqr

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: when you are minister to combat electoral fraud it is perhaps acceptable to have one constituency vicer chair arrested over electoral fraud but two looks like carelessness.

Top Tories in electoral fraud minister's local party arrested over electoral fraud allegations

Two vice chairs of Norwich Conservatives, the local party of Chloe Smith, the minister in charge of fighting electoral fraud were arrested on Thursday

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/top-tories-electoral-fraud-ministers-12594924

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Mugshots.com owners charged with extortion. Here are their mugshots.

Mugshots.com works like this: they post pictures of your mugshots, publicize them as part of a public database of criminals and such, then charge you money to remove them. Here are the mugshots of two guys arrested on charges of extortion who are reportedly the site's owners—not coming down at any price.

https://boingboing.net/2018/05/18/mugshots-com-owners-charged-wi.html

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6

asparagus

Junior Acolyte
I came across something the other day which struck me as ironic.

There was a lady from Norfolk who died just before the first world war whose initials were M.A.P. (I won't give her full name for reasons that will become obvious). She wrote in her will "my sole wish is that my name shall be utterly forgotten" and "my name is not to appear on any memorial tablet in any church … and no leaves or flowers shall be placed in or on my grave. My tombstone shall not cost more than £3 [she died a wealthy woman] and shall bear the inscription M.A.P.".

However, this was such an unusual statement in a will that a report about it got into the national press, and was published for example in the Daily Mirror. Thousands of people got to know her name through that report who would otherwise never have heard of her.

It gets worse. As luck would have it, the newspaper report was published on Tuesday April 16th 1912. The main headline on that day was the Titanic disaster (although these first reports stated that the ship had hit an iceberg but not sunk and nobody had been hurt, it was still big news). This newspaper has been endlessly reproduced in facsimile (which is how I got to read it) as the first report of one of the biggest news stories of the century.

So, M.A.P. of Norfolk wishes to be forgotten after her death. But she states her case so vigorously that the story makes the national papers, bringing her name to the attention of a wide readership. And this happens on the day that one of the most famous stories of all time is also published, meaning that day's newspaper is frequently republished for historical reasons, and her name is brought to a whole new readership down the decades that follow.

What is really ironic of course is that if she had just made no particular fuss at all her name would surely have been quietly forgotten within a few years.