Oh, The Irony

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Diane Abbott infamously defended sending her son to a private school, whilst criticising others for doing the same. Her excuse for her hypocrisy was that "I knew what could happen to my son if he was [sic] sent to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd."

Her son James (28) has just been charged with 11 new offences, including assaulting NHS staff and police and indecent exposure.

Blimey! Just think what might have happened if he'd had to mix with ordinary kids at a state school!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ssaulted-nine-cops-and-nhs-staff/1856775/amp/
After reading the news article I’m wondering whether he has got mental health problems. Nine alleged assaults in three hospitals over a six month period. It just sounds a bit out of the norm.

After reading the news article I’m wondering whether he has got mental health problems. Nine alleged assaults in three hospitals over a six month period. It just sounds a bit out of the norm.
I was wondering about that as well,

Waterson also has a long history of assaults.

Leaving politics and parents out of it they might both be in need of psychiatric help.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
You posted a story about the son of a Labour politician, went to a good school.

I posted a story about the son of a Conservative politician, went to a good school.

Myth suggested Abbot's son would get a light sentence due to connections.

I pointed out that the son of the Tory got a light sentence for the manslaughter of a child and the assault of a witness, maybe it was due to his father's influence.
But the irony was because the mother made a hypocrite of herself by breaking her own beliefs in sending him to a private school, in an attempt to keep him out of trouble. And yet he turned out a wrong 'un anyway!

But the irony was because the mother made a hypocrite of herself by breaking her own beliefs in sending him to a private school, in an attempt to keep him out of trouble. And yet he turned out a wrong 'un anyway!
A rather wafer thin irony, if I was a cynic I might think that it was an excuse to get around the no politics rule!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
A rather wafer thin irony, if I was a cynic I might think that it was an excuse to get around the no politics rule!
EnolaGaia posted an ironic story about a Republican politician a few posts above.
Does whataboutery demand that you dig up some dirt on a Democrat now to restore equilibrium, or should we just keep this thread for tales of irony?

EnolaGaia posted an ironic story about a Republican politician a few posts above.
Does whataboutery demand that you dig up some dirt on a Democrat now to restore equilibrium, or should we just keep this thread for tales of irony?
If you post attacks on Labour under the guise of irony then you will be responded to in kind.

Time for you to stop digging or some other murderous Tory sons might be unearthed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You wrote:

Because of who he is, he'll get away with it quite lightly. Ordinary people would have to do time in prison.

Seeing as he is the son of Abbott you did so indirectly.

Perhaps we should just end this here. If attacks are launched on politicians using their children as proxies then it's inevitable that someone will respond pointing to a similar or even worse case involving another party.
The 'because of who he is' bit I meant simply as 'the son of a politician'.
Not 'the son of a Labour politician'. But you added that layer of meaning!

The 'because of who he is' bit I meant simply as 'the son of a politician'.
Not 'the son of a Labour politician'. But you added that layer of meaning!
But he was the son of a labour politician

Anyway in that case there should have been no problem in me raising the case of Waterson, the son of a (yory) politician who got a remarkably light sentence for killing a toddler.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Anyway in that case there should have been no problem in me raising the case of Waterson, the son of a (yory) politician who got a remarkably light sentence for killing a toddler.
Except this thread is for irony, not whataboutery.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Yes...and? I was referring to the privileges accorded to the political classes, irrespective of their political leanings.
Stop right there, Ramon. Your mind is so focused on politics, it can't be good for your health.

Yes...and? I was referring to the privileges accorded to the political classes, irrespective of their political leanings.
Stop right there, Ramon. Your mind is so focused on politics, it can't be good for your health.
I think you should take that up with Bless who obsessively started this off.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
If you post attacks on Labour under the guise of irony then you will be responded to in kind. ... .
... And if you persist in trying to twist this discussion into a tit-for-tat exchange based on personal affiliations secondary to the relevant storyline you will be responded to without any kindness whatsoever.

Third, final, and deliberately bald-faced comment (seeing as how you don't seem to be taking Gordon's quite explicit hints).

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Vancouver university's snowball fight snowed out, rescheduled

The University of British Columbia in Vancouver canceled its annual snowball fight Wednesday because of too much snow, but the event was rescheduled to Thursday.

The snowball fight had been set for 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on the Main Mall, but because of too much snow Tuesday night and Wednesday morning it had to wait for it to thaw out some. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ht-snowed-out-rescheduled/1321579201378/?sl=1

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
The title says it all.

Indonesian man who set strict adultery laws flogged in public for adultery

NSFW - Story contains images of religious caning.

An Indonesian man who helped set strict adultery laws has been flogged in public after he was caught having an affair with a married woman. He was caught by officials in September having affair with a woman, apparently in a car parked near a tourist beach, according to the report.
https://www.mazechmedia.com/2019/11...-adultery-laws-publicly-flogged-for-adultery/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Matthew Green
@matthew_d_green

A rumor I’ve heard (and can’t verify, so caveat emptor) is that Apple employees are barred from sharing confidential corporate docs via iCloud. If true, that sure isn’t a vote of confidence in the system.
Complementing this with another rumor: some Facebook employees are barred from using Messenger for corporate business.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
The title says it all.

Indonesian man who set strict adultery laws flogged in public for adultery

NSFW - Story contains images of religious caning.

https://www.mazechmedia.com/2019/11...-adultery-laws-publicly-flogged-for-adultery/
Is there a notable phenomena of puritan types being hypocrites with "do as I say not as I do" or "it's OK when I do it"? I mean, we're all like that to some degree but do they have higher inclinations to that than on average? I vaguely recall something coming up in conversation fairly recently to the effect that it's been studied and there may even be a name for it.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Indian man dies after getting attacked by his rooster on their way to a cockfight

Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao, 50, was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster's claw on January 15. A police spokesman told CNN the father of three was taken to hospital, where he later died from a stroke.

Rao, who lived in Pragadavaram village in southern India's Andhra Pradesh state, was a regular at local cockfights, and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to break free, station house officer Kranti Kumar said.

Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/india/rooster-cockfight-death-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

maximus otter

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Man buys car from cops after it was seized in drug raid.

Finds drugs hidden in bumper.

"A buyer paid 586,000 baht ($19,000; £14,500) for the Honda CR-V car, which was put up for auction this month after being seized in a drugs case last year. But when it was sent to a garage for alterations, a mechanic discovered 94,000 pills stashed in its bumper. "

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Found on the Intermong:

"My Father-in-law is in hospital having had a heart attack & this is his tea!"

(Well, at least the baked beans should be good for his heart...)

maximus otter

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Mechanic crushed to death by car he was stealing from

A thieving mechanic was crushed to death after a car fell on him while he was stealing its catalytic converter, an inquest heard.

Gary Gray, 38, died after the jack holding up the Vauxhall Astra came loose, causing the full weight of the vehicle to slam down and suffocate him.

An inquest heard that he had broken in after hours and had been attempting to steal a catalytic converter from the car's exhaust system, which could then be sold on for around £60.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/31/mechanic-crushed-death-car-stealing/

maximus otter