Oh, The Irony

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Before vaccines, 'chicken pox parties' used to be held for children by American parents along with 'measles parties' and 'mumps parties'. The idea was to infect children while they were young to avoid the complications that adults are prone to with those diseases. As kids can still become seriously ill it's not the best idea.

(I first learned about this practice in the early '80s from Dr Spock's book and was astounded as vaccinations were already routine in the UK.)

So maybe people think a 'covid party' is like that? Like, if you've arranged to contract the virus it's under control?

Or perhaps I'm trying too hard to justify this stupidity.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Before vaccines, 'chicken pox parties' used to be held for children by American parents along with 'measles parties' and 'mumps parties'. The idea was to infect children while they were young to avoid the complications that adults are prone to with those diseases. As kids can still become seriously ill it's not the best idea.

(I first learned about this practice in the early '80s from Dr Spock's book and was astounded as vaccinations were already routine in the UK.)

So maybe people think a 'covid party' is like that? Like, if you've arranged to contract the virus it's under control?

Or perhaps I'm trying too hard to justify this stupidity.
Hasn't a laissez faire spread-it-about-a-bit policy been pretty well what Sweden has been doing from the start?

They seem to have suffered higher fatalities than their neighbours, but maybe that has something to do with ättestupa thinking?

If no vaccine appears in the near future and Sweden achieves herd immunity ahead of the rest of us though, then perhaps they will have the last laugh?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
If no vaccine appears in the near future and Sweden achieves herd immunity ahead of the rest of us though, then perhaps they will have the last laugh?
The hopes for the herd immunity approach faded quite a bit once it was learned that COVID-19 antibodies obtained via mild cases of the disease don't persist in the body for longer than a very few months.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hasn't a laissez faire spread-it-about-a-bit policy been pretty well what Sweden has been doing from the start?

They seem to have suffered higher fatalities than their neighbours, but maybe that has something to do with ättestupa thinking?

The minute a vaccine comes out I'll be there presenting whichever body part is necessary to receive it.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The hopes for the herd immunity approach faded quite a bit once it was learned that COVID-19 antibodies obtained via mild cases of the disease don't persist in the body for longer than a very few months.
So, rather than lose face and admit they got it wrong, the Swedes are still letting people die unnecessarily?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Another one of these:

Man, 37, dies from coronavirus after dismissing pandemic as ‘hype’ on Facebook

US Army veteran Richard Rose had repeatedly criticised all the "s**t about COVID" and tagged himself at crowded venues before contracting the bug and dying days later

The 37-year-old had been openly sceptical about the risks of Covid-19, writing in a post on April 28 "I'm not buying a f***ing mask" and "I've made it this far by not buying into that damn hype".

In another, he wrote: "I’ve gotten sick of turning my tv on to political smear ads and s**t about COVID.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now is the time:
20200718_200822.jpg

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
A potential Covid cluster has been identified in Lanarkshire. At a Covid track and trace call centre..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53465160

A potential cluster of Covid-19 cases is being investigated in North Lanarkshire, health officials have confirmed.

BBC Scotland understands the outbreak involves a call centre which carries out coronavirus contact tracing for the NHS.

One employee said they believed at least seven colleagues had tested positive.

Beresford

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Coronavirus: Travellers from Spain told to quarantine.
Travellers arriving in the UK from Spain must now quarantine for 14 days, under new coronavirus travel rules.
They were announced on Saturday following a spike in coronavirus cases in Spain.......etc
Among those affected by the new rules is Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, who began his holiday in Spain on Saturday. He is expected to continue his trip as planned and isolate in line with guidance on his return.

(I bet somebody in the Cabinet Office is having a good chuckle at that one)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53541301

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
St Bernard rescued from Scafell Pike

A team spokesman said Daisy had been showing signs of pain in her legs and was refusing to move.

St Bernards are traditionally on the other side of such mercy missions - they were originally bred in the Swiss Alps as mountain rescue dogs.

Friday's operation, which involved 16 members of the MRT, took five hours as rescuers carried Daisy on a stretcher over obstacles including a waterfall.

The spokesman said: "The team rescues canine casualties around a dozen times every year but this was the first time a St Bernard breed has been rescued by the team.

"It was important to get Daisy off the mountain quickly as the weather was due to deteriorate later that evening."
Daisy on stretcher being carried

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
St Bernard rescued from Scafell Pike

A team spokesman said Daisy had been showing signs of pain in her legs and was refusing to move.

St Bernards are traditionally on the other side of such mercy missions - they were originally bred in the Swiss Alps as mountain rescue dogs.

Daisy on stretcher being carried
That is one abject-looking dog. :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Update ... Daisy the St. Bernard is fine ...
Daisy the St. Bernard recovers from her mountain ordeal

Don’t worry: Daisy — the St. Bernard who reversed mountain rescue conventions — is fine.

The owners of the dog who collapsed while descending England’s tallest mountain says she’s recovering well after a mountain rescue team helped her to safety . ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/90f96d26e98a6d7c4ad56c127362b626

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
I ave to wonder if Daisy's people included her in endurance training or not--I'm assuming the people did endurance training. Not that it's Mt. Everest or anything, but still. "Climbing Scafell Pike is a serious undertaking and should not be underestimated. Whichever route you take, it's a tough, steep hike which involves scrambling over hard terrain." (Thank you, Google.)