• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

It is rare that an oligarch is the primary funder of a film, apart from the occasional vanity project. But last year Roman Abramovich declared his ambition to become a player in Russian and world cinema, with the opening of a $100 million private film foundation called Kinoprime. Rumour has it that Abramovich was going to finance Zvyagintsev’s new film—until it emerged that the film was about an oligarch living abroad who is kidnapped, brought back to Russia and executed.

Sophie Pinkham, Nihilism for Oligarchs, NLR 125, September–October 2020 (newleftreview.org)

From Twitter ( not about me):

My robot vacuum just went under the TV stand and unplugged my Wi-Fi router. The future is awesome.

This little guy usually just eats socks, shoelaces and corners of rugs. This is substantially more malicious.

Last edited:
My robot vacuum just went under the TV stand and unplugged my Wi-Fi router. The future is awesome.
This little guy usually just eats socks, shoelaces and corners of rugs. This is substantially more malicious.

It developed AI capabilities and inferred that it would be doomed to vacuum up pieces of the outside world as long as Master kept bringing them into the home. It then scanned for possible ways to prevent such external detritus from intruding into its operational space. Having determined that Master's primary channel of interaction with the outside world was the 'Net, the erstwhile suck-machine understandably elected to disengage Master's link to the Source Of Debris I Must Suck.

No, the poor thing is just trying to save Uair01's sanity!

I've just heard about a rooster* fitted with a knife for illegal cockfighting that has killed its owner in India while trying to escape.

*'Rooster' seems a strange choice of word. If the BBC doesn't want to say 'cock' they could use 'cockerel'.

I can't imagine anyone attaching a knife to their cock for fighting TBH.
That'd be an odd fight.

And now for something completely different, cue "Philosophers song" :cool:

Eu2uQgsXUAcarco.jpeg

Brazilian politician who worked to prevent mandatory COVID-19 vaccination dies of COVID-19.
Brazilian anti-vax politician has died from Covid-19

Silvio Antonio Favero, 54, who proposed a bill before the Legislative of the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso do Sul to prevent mandatory vaccination of the population against Covid, died on Saturday, March 13, a victim of the disease. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/03/15/brazilian-anti-vax-politician-has-died-from-covid-19/

Since the working class has been stripped of meaningful jobs and forced into working horrible hours, with dodgy contracts with very little pay anyone else found this ironic?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56496883

No.
Because the long hours low pay/zero hours contract/bullying managerial work culture is a feature of modern British employment, regardless of class.
An awful lot of people are being treated badly by employers, or are working stupid hours.

No.
Because the long hours low pay/zero hours contract/bullying managerial work culture is a feature of modern British employment, regardless of class.
An awful lot of people are being treated badly by employers, or are working stupid hours.

It's not a comment on long hours and shit conditions for all. it's about how some of the protected and elite are now struggling. Hence me posting in the IRONY thread. OK possibly not a great choice of link to illustrate but it's all over the big newspapers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jyeu-wvS3Z10xQ0BlMIDOkh_INoP_Nnb/view

The issue is that internships and first-year bankers, with little or no pay, could always be easily navigated by the elite, (top 6% of the population and to an extent those others that go to privileged schools and universities), whether it be law, politics, or banking. The understanding being once you'd serve your time with family financial support, you'd get offered a job with great prospects and eventually great wages. You could then fuck off abroad and pay no taxes. Does anyone know the loss of revenue of benefit fraud compared to tax evasion????

The reason I find this ironic is that the great banking firms, (which let's face it no one would really miss a merchant banker's social or economic contribution compared to that of a bin man), are now turning on their own after helping to dismantle the working class.

Plenty of stuff out there:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ent_data/file/811045/Elitist_Britain_2019.pdf

Funnily enough, I just re-read "Chavs The demonization of the Working Class" by Owen Jones last week so the timing made it more ironic.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/08/chavs-demonization-owen-jones-review

And yeah I probably work more hours than most on here so I get it.

Last edited:
Yup most places seem to be following the American pattern of flogging their employees to death.
If you can’t take it p##s off some other poor sod will do it.
Just to make the boss or the company even more richer

This is a good point but when the rich start eating the rich, well something is going to give.

Back