• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

It's not a comment on long hours and shit conditions for all. it's about how some of the protected and elite are now struggling. Hence me posting in the IRONY thread. OK possibly not a great choice of link to illustrate but it's all over the big newspapers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jyeu-wvS3Z10xQ0BlMIDOkh_INoP_Nnb/view

The issue is that internships and first-year bankers, with little or no pay, could always be easily navigated by the elite, (top 6% of the population and to an extent those others that go to privileged schools and universities), whether it be law, politics, or banking. The understanding being once you'd serve your time with family financial support, you'd get offered a job with great prospects and eventually great wages. You could then fuck off abroad and pay no taxes. Does anyone know the loss of revenue of benefit fraud compared to tax evasion????

The reason I find this ironic is that the great banking firms, (which let's face it no one would really miss a merchant banker's social or economic contribution compared to that of a bin man), are now turning on their own after helping to dismantle the working class.

Plenty of stuff out there:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ent_data/file/811045/Elitist_Britain_2019.pdf

Funnily enough, I just re-read "Chavs The demonization of the Working Class" by Owen Jones last week so the timing made it more ironic.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/08/chavs-demonization-owen-jones-review

And yeah I probably work more hours than most on here so I get it.
We are winning the race to the bottom.

It's not a comment on long hours and shit conditions for all. it's about how some of the protected and elite are now struggling. Hence me posting in the IRONY thread. OK possibly not a great choice of link to illustrate but it's all over the big newspapers.

I think some of those who you term "elite" were always at risk of falling down the income ladder.
The interwar years saw once vastly wealthy families consolidate with rising taxed and diminishing land returns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_country_houses_in_20th-century_Britain

The Goldman Sachs issue is one I can only comment on by impression; I have worked in the City as a geographical place, but not as part of the City financial services or legal sectors.

My basic impression is that that this is a culture developed since the 1980's, with influence from Japan and the USA.
It is not just something affecting traditional elites, but others who have got good degrees.

The traditional British "Upper Class/Upper Middle Class work ethic was strong, but allowed time for sports, play and drinking.

A friend in the City is in a certain type of trading, the name escapes me, but his colleagues I have met are very much Essex Boys, those who socially I would class as of working class parents but brought up in a environment mixing that with middle class properties.

I have absolutely no idea what type of rodent it is.
But 'Steak Knife on a Gerbil' seemed to work better than (eg) 'Steak Knife on a Vole'.

I have absolutely no idea what type of rodent it is.
But 'Steak Knife on a Gerbil' seemed to work better than (eg) 'Steak Knife on a Vole'.
There are probably reasons why they don’t give monkeys flick knives. Health and Safety fascism probably.

Last year a restaurant in my neighborhood was destroyed by fire. The blaze was so intense that much of the second floor, which appears to have contained an apartment or two, was obliterated, and the shop next door, whose wall touches the restaurant's wall, suffered major damage.

They've slowly been tearing down the remains. Recently I noticed that - coincidentally - the building on the other side of the restaurant is now being demolished as well, probably to be replaced with a newer building. It wasn't until I saw this that the irony hit me: the other building - which, as far as I know, was fully operational at the time of the fire and escaped any damage - was the local fire station.

Last edited:
There are probably reasons why they don’t give monkeys flick knives. Health and Safety fascism probably.
"Guns don't kill people - people kill people"
(and so do monkeys if you give them guns)

"Monkey with an Uzi, I know, I know, it's serious...."

same with Scunthorpe! :D
I don't know if this is true or apocryphal, but I remember hearing it at the time that it was a new story.

When every MP in the House of Commons was given a secure official email address, the filters initially caused problems blocking legitimate emails for 3 MPs: those whose constituencies included Scunthorpe, Arsenal, and Penistone.

I don't know if this is true or apocryphal, but I remember hearing it at the time that it was a new story.

When every MP in the House of Commons was given a secure official email address, the filters initially caused problems blocking legitimate emails for 3 MPs: those whose constituencies included Scunthorpe, Arsenal, and Penistone.
I work for a council department dealing with wildlife and outdoor education amongst our duties is writing bird survey reports - the council software routinely blocks tits!

I work for a council department dealing with wildlife and outdoor education amongst our duties is writing bird survey reports - the council software routinely blocks tits!
I feel your pain. I've had to go to our IT guys on a few occasions to have websites unblocked. My favourite story, although it didn't involve a firewall blocking a page, was a nurse who was union rep and decided to look at uniforms for nursing staff. She got a bit of a shock when she entered 'nurses in uniform' in a search engine.

Sounds like the very old joke about the footballers out for dinner together.

The Liverpool player had liver casserole, the Hartlepool player had stuffed heart and the Arsenal player wasn't hungry.

Sounds like the very old joke about the footballers out for dinner together.

The Liverpool player had liver casserole, the Hartlepool player had stuffed heart and the Arsenal player wasn't hungry.
What did the Manchester player have?

Pretty grim.

A man has been stabbed to death at a vigil being held to remember the victim of another knife attack.

The Met Police said 23-year-old Reece Young was killed on Alpha Road in Croydon at about 21:10 BST on Tuesday. Two men who later arrived at a hospital with stab wounds were subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder. One of them attacked officers and NHS staff before forcing his way out of the building, but was later caught and returned to custody.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56595001

A math blogger I follow decided to publish a serious math article on April 1st. Of course some people went looking for the joke.
I like his remark in the last comment:
Twistor Unification | Not Even Wrong (columbia.edu)

Low Math, Meekly Interacting says:
I was about to request an exegesis myself, as this either had either to be an inside joke of diabolical sophistication or, well, not a joke.

Peter Woit says:
At some point it became clear I’d have the draft done around April 1 and I thought best to avoid that date. Later decided might as well post on April 1, maybe people would carefully read the thing looking (unsuccessfully) for the joke. As far as I can tell, that didn’t work out…

Note: The math is beyond mere mortals, certainly including me.

1617389854170.png

In 1985, Rolf Harris starred in a 20 minute anti child abuse video titled 'Kids Can Say No'
Harris was convicted in 2014 of sexually abusing four girls.

The BBC, having adopted wall-to-wall Prince Philip coverage to avoid being criticised in parts of the media and politics.... has now received so many complaints about their wall-to-wall coverage they’ve set up a streamlined form to complain about it. https://t.co/jgOqU5e51N

Back