• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Cyclist berates car driver who is using mobile phone, driver claiming that he can drive and use the phone safely. Unfortunately the driver then rear-ends another car in traffic, all caught on the cyclist's camera! Delicious.

https://road.cc/content/news/252961...n-drive-safely-while-using-phone-then-crashes

The comments are good -

The evidence shows that mobile phoning affects the ability to drive for up to five minutes after. And being a complete plonker, that affects it too.
Like most drivers, he thinks he's better than average and can retain full control of a motor vehicle in extremely complex situations while on the phone, when he isn't even in control without the phone. I think we have a possible podium candidate for "Total and Utter Plonker, 2018".

Love it! Used to work for a company that'd constantly ring and text my mobile between jobs. If it was when I was driving I'd ignore it and they'd kick off because I wouldn't answer. 'So-and-So ALWAYS answers! Why don't you?'

I'd say 'Naah, I don't use the phone when I'm driving, it's dangerous. I might kill someone. No point ringing me.' They didn't like it.

Two old memes, but still relevant and still funny in a tragic way ...

aj8Ej2G_700b.jpgarGgE9B_700b.jpg

I see Kevin Spacey’s star got off lightly then.

There is a rumor/spin going around that is trying to humanize the whole Kevin Spacey rape thing in a more positive direction by suggesting that he drugged and raped Justin Bieber. Personally I think that would just demonstrate that he had awful taste.

This strikes me as irony in action ...

A Texas sheriff's department has deployed cardboard cutouts of officers using radar guns along byways to deter speeders.

In the news item apparently intended to extol this strategy's effectiveness:

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...eputies-to-deter-speeders/2761547147157/?sl=6

... the sheriff is quoted as saying:

He means deploying the cutouts slows down drivers without taking up other resources. It's a policy that works well in certain circumstances.
Some British police forces (I forget where) have tried placing full-sized police car 'cutouts' on bridges over motorways and noticed reductions in numbers of speeding offences.

Just reminding drivers that the police might be lurking nearby is often enough to slow them down.

He means deploying the cutouts slows down drivers without taking up other resources. It's a policy that works well in certain circumstances. ...

Yes, I know, and I agree with the intent. This is one of those stories that may hinge on dialect.

In current American workplace parlance, "working the problem" is a common way of saying "working on the problem" - i.e., engaging or doing something about the problem. The sheriff's statement about 'solving' the problem without 'working' it can be readily parsed as (e.g.) "moving it off our to-do list without really doing anything about it."

Sorry about the politics but I find this very ironic:
https://unherd.com/2019/01/no-bregets-10-predictions-for-2019/

Theresa May has always reminded me of Bruce Willis in the Die Hard franchise. There was always a scene in which Willis would be getting shot at by Uzi submachine guns. To survive, he would grab the nearest dead body and use it for cover as he ran across a room full of bad guys. For the Conservative Party, Prime Minister May is that dead body. :)

And the author had his own encounter with irony:

The last time I made a prediction in public, I ended up eating my own book on national television. To be fair, the prediction was not that bad. … The story went viral. Although virtually every election forecaster had also miscalculated, many by a much bigger margin, I was the only one to find my book-filled cheeks adorning the pages of Mumbai News. It was probably not my finest hour, even if my mother found it hilarious and my publisher was delighted to shift a few more books. So, having completely failed to learn from my mistakes, here are another 10 predictions to see us through 2019. Just don’t remind me about them at the end of the year.

That's true:

Build The W... er...

A Trump winery in Virginia has applied to the U.S. Labor Department to hire 23 foreign workers, according to filed documents.

Trump businesses have hired 600 foreign workers since Donald Trump’s campaign for president, even as he railed about American jobs going to foreigners, according to BuzzFeed, which was the first to report the latest application. Trump operations have filed requests to hire more foreign workers each year since then.

CNN reported in 2016 that Trump businesses had employed at least 1,256 foreign workers in the previous 15 years, according to federal records.
The New York Times reported in 2016 that since 2010, only 17 of 300 American applicants were hired to work at Mar-a-Lago, the golf resort that Trump calls the “Winter White House.” Since 2010, Mar-a-Lago has obtained a total of 500 H-2B visas for seasonal non-agricultural foreign workers, according to The New Yorker.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__012919

The great Atlanta Paintball Wars of 2018 - rapper 21 Savage urged fans to start using paintball guns instead of real guns to reduce gun deaths, but it lead directly to the death of a small child...

And in another twist of ironic fate...it appears that 21 Savage (who writes about growing-up in Atlanta) may actually be....ever-so slightly British. Born in old London Town. And brought up there, until his teens. So maybe not quite the US southern roots he claimed.

Which may-well have provided exactly the same source rap material as Atlanta....but that doesn't appear to making much impression upon the US Immigration Department. He's under heavy investigation...reuters.com/article/us-people-21-savage-britain/birth-certificate-suggests-rapper-21-savage-was-born-in-london

Can't he be treated as a naturalised US Citizen, if he's been there since his early teens?

Lots of support for him from other artists though.
How does it work though, that he's not originally born in the southern states at all? Effectively he's identifying as being American. So is he channelling/empathing his doubly-displaced roots?

Plenty of common experiences, I'm sure, but there's still a massive difference between Tower Hamlets and Georgia

A former Apple lawyer responsible for securities-law compliance has been accused of insider trading

Back