• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Poacher killed by elephant then eaten by lions

A suspected rhino poacher has been trampled on by an elephant then eaten by a pride of lions in Kruger National Park, South Africa.

A search party struggled to find the body but eventually found a human skull and a pair of trousers on Thursday.

Kruger National Park has an ongoing problem with poaching and there remains a strong demand for rhino horn in Asian countries.

On Saturday, Hong Kong airport authorities seized the biggest haul of rhino horn in five years, valued at $2.1m (£1.6m).

Tried to find a link online, but all Google gave me was news stories about sheep rustling.

Anyway, the story is that last night the band Stealing Sheep were playing a concert and their signature prop, a huge, purple, inflatable sheep, was deflated and stolen. If anyone has any idea of its whereabouts, please contact the police.

According to the radio this morning, the Stealing Sheep inflatable sheep has been returned. Apparently the bloke who nicked it didn't think it was important or something, so he took it. But on hearing the news, he brought it back. Tell it to the judge!

Not sure if it fits into the irony category but it's a good story. There was a guy at a music festival who was arrested for impersonating a Police Officer, after stealing a Police uniform and hat from a Police van on site. The judge wasn't quite sure how to deal with him, as when impersonating a copper he restrained a guy who was to be arrested for assaulting someone, assisted in CPR on another person and found a women who had been reported missing.

A mother given a doctor's exemption not to wear a seatbelt died after being sent through the windscreen in a motorway crash, an inquest has heard.

Sarah Evans, 58, was given the exemption - given to people in case they are stopped by the police - because of a hernia.

But an inquest heard she was killed when her daughter crashed into the central reservation of the M4 on a day out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ctors-exemption-not-wear-seatbelt-died-flung/

Moral: A doctor's note does not trump the laws of physics. Wear your damn seat belt, even if it causes some (alleged) temporary discomfort.

maximus otter

A mother given a doctor's exemption not to wear a seatbelt died after being sent through the windscreen in a motorway crash, an inquest has heard.

Sarah Evans, 58, was given the exemption - given to people in case they are stopped by the police - because of a hernia.

But an inquest heard she was killed when her daughter crashed into the central reservation of the M4 on a day out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ctors-exemption-not-wear-seatbelt-died-flung/

Moral: A doctor's note does not trump the laws of physics. Wear your damn seat belt, even if it causes some (alleged) temporary discomfort.

maximus otter
We had a 'ressie' (resident guest) at the hotel last week who had complications, a staff member called 111 (correct) and was advised to give our ressie meds (wrong) .. in those situations, we're not qualified (I am but that's beside the point and that was from another job) to administer meds just because someone on a phone line who didn't have the ressie's doctors notes in front of them tells us to .. that anonymous phone operator won't be the one taken to court when we accidently kill the ressie, it'll be the grieving family who takes the business to court (and that's if the business doesn't instead decide to pass the blame onto the staff member) ..

(painful constipation caused by opiate abuse - advice given paracetamol - the advisor couldn't know if the person is allergic to paracetamol )

I told the staff member to ask the ressie if she was allergic to paracetamol and if not to put the paracetamol in front of her instead of giving it to her .. and record it all in the accident report book.

Last edited:
My grandpa would never wear a seatbelt, not because of a medical reason, but because he didn't believe the law applied to him. Considering how many cars he ruined, it's amazing he died peacefully in bed in his 80s.

Saturday afternoon beneath the plastic Palm Trees in Leighton Buzzard (an hour ago)

Leighton0227A.jpg

(*sigh* - it got to number 56 in 1979)

Last edited:
Poetic justice.

Tony Perkins, president of the anti-gay religious lobbying group the Family Research Council, had his home destroyed by the massive flooding ravaging Southern Louisiana this week.

Although no one wants to celebrate a person losing their home, the destruction of Perkins’ house isn’t without irony, considering that he’s claimed in the past that natural disasters are God’s way of punishing an increasingly gay-friendly world.

Calling into his own radio show, Perkins described the flood as being of “biblical proportions,” adding that he and his family will have to live in a camper for 6 months until the damage is repaired.

https://deadstate.org/guy-who-says-...has-his-home-destroyed-in-a-natural-disaster/

Hodan Nalayeh, a Somali-born Canadian journalist traveled to Somalia last week to prove Somalia is “beautiful” and to challenge ‘stereotypes’.

Hodan Nalayeh returned to Somalia, the place of her birth, to document the beauty and to tell “uplifting” stories.

One of Nalayeh’s Twitter followers praised her for “countering the doom narrative propagated by many about Somalia.”

Nalayeh often tweeted about Somalia and just last week posted pictures showing how much fun she was having in Kismayo and the neighboring island of Ilisi.

“It’s so clean & breathtaking. A perfect place for a day swim with the family,” Nalayeh tweeted.

On July 12, al-Shabaab terrorists stormed Asasey Hotel in Kismayo. 26 people were killed in the attack.

Hodan Nalayeh, 43, and her husband were among the victims.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...tereotypes-gets-killed-by-islamic-terrorists/

maximus otter

Hodan Nalayeh, a Somali-born Canadian journalist traveled to Somalia last week to prove Somalia is “beautiful” and to challenge ‘stereotypes’.

Hodan Nalayeh returned to Somalia, the place of her birth, to document the beauty and to tell “uplifting” stories.

One of Nalayeh’s Twitter followers praised her for “countering the doom narrative propagated by many about Somalia.”

Nalayeh often tweeted about Somalia and just last week posted pictures showing how much fun she was having in Kismayo and the neighboring island of Ilisi.

“It’s so clean & breathtaking. A perfect place for a day swim with the family,” Nalayeh tweeted.

On July 12, al-Shabaab terrorists stormed Asasey Hotel in Kismayo. 26 people were killed in the attack.

Hodan Nalayeh, 43, and her husband were among the victims.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...tereotypes-gets-killed-by-islamic-terrorists/

maximus otter

Sad, though not surprising. There are places in this world where you simply should not travel to. Often traveling openly as a journalist is akin to having an enormous target on your back. That may or may not have been the case here but you couldn't pay me enough to visit Somalia. As the old adage goes, 'Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread.'

This was a wonderful presentation in the artist book shop in Rotterdam:

While some try to stay invisible, others struggle to achieve the exact opposite. We are therefore honoured to welcome Hamja Ahsan, commander in chief of the internationalist movement of the introvert and founder of the Shy People’s Republic of Aspergistan. Looking to overthrow extrovert supremacy Hamja Ahsan published Shy Radicals: The Antisystemic Politics of the Militant Introvert (Book Works, 2017). His militant movement is steadily growing: the book recently reached its third print run. In PrintRoom, Hamja Ahsan will place himself in the spotlight for the quiet and awkward. Wallflowers of the world unite!

https://www.bookworks.org.uk/node/1917
http://printroom.org/

The separate state of Aspergistan, the Shy Radicals political project, is imagined as a safe haven for Shy people, introverts and those on the autistic spectrum. It is designed for those who seek a quiet, unharassed existence, free of intrusive advertising, neon and strobe lighting, and compulsory social events. Aspergistan’s Constitution is set out in detail in the first pages of the book, establishing its political and social ideals in articles that are appealing, sensible and very amusing.

https://ceasefiremagazine.co.uk/shy-radicals-antisystemic-politics-militant-introvert-hamja-ahsan/

radicals02.jpg
radicals01.jpg

Happened a few minutes ago.

I was about to fry one of the two remaining Frikadellan to eat with some chips. My wife came in, looked closely at the thing and said 'you'll eat anything, it's got fur growing on it'. And indeed there was a very small patch of fungus starting to appear even tho' the burger was still in date and had been kept in the fridge since purchase.

So I settled for egg and chips instead. With a couple of slices of bread. My wife, obviously not trusting my judgement, and muttering things like 'silly old sod will poison himself one day', made the meal.

I was about to take a bite of the bread when I caught the faint whiff of mold.

'I think the bread is off' I said.

'Can't be' she responded, 'I've just had a slice and it was ok. It's your sense of smell that is failing, like your brain'.

So I checked the loaf. Three days out of date and the middle slices bright green.

Serves her right. Though I will have to watch to see she doesn't show signs of poisoning over the next few hours.

INT21.

Back