• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Health & Safety needs to be put on a Statutory Basis.

'Lucky' Buddhist statue topples over and crushes religious leader as he unveils it in Thailand
  • Village chief Saman Chanthayothi, 52, was the guest of honour at the unveiling
  • As he tugged away the cloth, the Buddha statue cracked and fell on his head
  • The statue had been intended to bring good luck and fortune to local residents
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7651289/Lucky-Buddhist-statue-topples-crushes-religious-leader-unveiled-Thailand.html

Can't help commenting on the irony (of the pots and kettles brand) of rapper Michael Ebenazer Kwadjo Omari Owuo (aka. "Stormzy") coming over all righteous and branding Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg "an actual piece of shit" who should resign, for saying it is common sense to evacuate a building that's on fire.

This is the same rapper who is on record referring to gay people as "f*cking fags" :

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/22/stormzy-apologises-for-unearthed-homophobic-tweets

and whose vile lyrics glorify gun-crime and knifings ("Yeah, yo / Call me Gunshot Mike or Mr Skeng ").

Personally, I feel Rees-Mogg should have left Grenfell well alone. Some subjects are understandably so sensitive that you're forever treading on eggshells, but being criticised by the likes of "Stormzy" just goes beyond irony!

Erica Tishman, architect, identified as woman killed by falling [building] facade in NYC

[Erica L. Tishman, 60 who was] tragically killed by falling building debris in Midtown on Tuesday was an “extraordinary New Yorker” who died just a few blocks from the firm where she was a vice president.

Tishman received a master’s degree in architecture from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design before joining famed New York architecture firm DeWitt Tishman Architects in 1993.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/17/archi...ied-as-woman-killed-by-falling-facade-in-nyc/

maximus otter

Erica Tishman, architect, identified as woman killed by falling [building] facade in NYC

[Erica L. Tishman, 60 who was] tragically killed by falling building debris in Midtown on Tuesday was an “extraordinary New Yorker” who died just a few blocks from the firm where she was a vice president.

Tishman received a master’s degree in architecture from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design before joining famed New York architecture firm DeWitt Tishman Architects in 1993.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/17/archi...ied-as-woman-killed-by-falling-facade-in-nyc/

maximus otter
Was she killed by one of her own buildings?

ano_short_cuts.jpg

Diane Abbott infamously defended sending her son to a private school, whilst criticising others for doing the same. Her excuse for her hypocrisy was that "I knew what could happen to my son if he was [sic] sent to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd."

Her son James (28) has just been charged with 11 new offences, including assaulting NHS staff and police and indecent exposure.

Blimey! Just think what might have happened if he'd had to mix with ordinary kids at a state school!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ssaulted-nine-cops-and-nhs-staff/1856775/amp/

Last edited:
Maybe this guy should read his own publications ...
Politician who warned about driving drunk is charged with it

The top Republican in the New York State Assembly was charged New Year’s Eve with driving while intoxicated in his state-issued vehicle, just a week after he wrote a newspaper column warning citizens against getting behind the wheel drunk.

Brian M. Kolb, a Republican from Canandaigua who represents a district just outside Rochester, was arrested near his home after what he called a “lapse in judgement.”

Authorities said they were called to a crash in Victor just before 10:30 p.m. after a vehicle ran into a ditch. Kolb was found to be the driver of the 2018 GMC Acadia that crashed in front of his home.

An Ontario County sheriff’s deputy administered field sobriety tests, which Kolb failed, before taking him to jail. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/0aebcbee1efefc9b2afb85924ca096f8

Diane Abbott infamously defended sending her son to a private school, whilst criticising others for doing the same. Her excuse for her hypocrisy was that "I knew what could happen to my son if he was [sic] sent to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd."

Her son James (28) has just been charged with 11 new offences, including assaulting NHS staff and police and indecent exposure.

Blimey! Just think what might have happened if he'd had to mix with ordinary kids at a state school!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ssaulted-nine-cops-and-nhs-staff/1856775/amp/
Because of who he is, he'll get away with it quite lightly. Ordinary people would have to do time in prison.

Diane Abbott, infamously defended sending her son to a private school, whilst criticising others for doing the same. Her excuse for her hypocrisy was that "I knew what could happen to my son if he was [sic] sent to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd."

Because of who he is, he'll get away with it quite lightly. Ordinary people would have to do time in prison.

These sort of things happen in families affiliated to all parties. Waterson, son of a Tory ex-minister only got 2 years and 9 months for killing the child, bizarre. He even assaulted and threatened witnesses.

He went to to Bishop Justus Church of England School. They say:

In response to the Department for Education’s guidance on promoting British values in schools, the academy seeks to ensure young people leave school prepared for life in modern Britain and are members of society who treat others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background.

Sadly their aspirations came to nothing in Waterson's case.

The “arrogant” son of an ex-government minister in the UK has admitted crushing a three-year-old boy to death with his car seat.

Stephen Waterson, 26, squashed little Alfie Lamb in the footwell of his Audi convertible while his mother Adrian Hoare looked on.

Afterwards, Waterson, adopted son of former Tory minister Nigel Waterson, orchestrated a cover-up to avoid being implicated in the death.

Following an Old Bailey trial, Hoare, 24, from Gravesend in Kent, was found guilty of child cruelty and jailed for two years and nine months.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ilty-of-tragic-alfie-lamb-killing-947835.html

These sort of things happen in families affiliated to all parties. Waterson, son of a Tory ex-minister only got 2 years and 9 months for killing the child, bizarre. He even assaulted and threatened witnesses.

In response to the Department for Education’s guidance on promoting British values in schools, the academy seeks to ensure young people leave school prepared for life in modern Britain and are members of society who treat others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background.

The “arrogant” son of an ex-government minister in the UK has admitted crushing a three-year-old boy to death with his car seat.

Stephen Waterson, 26, squashed little Alfie Lamb in the footwell of his Audi convertible while his mother Adrian Hoare looked on.

Afterwards, Waterson, adopted son of former Tory minister Nigel Waterson, orchestrated a cover-up to avoid being implicated in the death.

Following an Old Bailey trial, Hoare, 24, from Gravesend in Kent, was found guilty of child cruelty and jailed for two years and nine months.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ilty-of-tragic-alfie-lamb-killing-947835.html
Hoare got two years and nine months, Waterson got
Mr Justice Kerr sentenced Waterson to five years and six months for the manslaughter.
He handed him a further two years for intimidation and 18 months for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice to run concurrently with each other.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-over-alfie-lamb-car-seat-death-a4286791.html

Hoare got two years and nine months, Waterson got
Mr Justice Kerr sentenced Waterson to five years and six months for the manslaughter.
He handed him a further two years for intimidation and 18 months for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice to run concurrently with each other.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-over-alfie-lamb-car-seat-death-a4286791.html

Ah! Still, with remission he'll only serve 2 years and 9 months for killing a toddler and assaulting a witness.

I agree that the sentence was far too light - he could probably afford one of those scumbag defence lawyers, hellbent on perverting justice.
But was does your case have to do with "Oh the irony"?

I agree that the sentence was far too light - he could probably afford one of those scumbag defence lawyers, hellbent on perverting justice.
But was does your case have to do with "Oh the irony"?

You posted a story about the son of a Labour politician, went to a good school.

I posted a story about the son of a Conservative politician, went to a good school.

Myth suggested Abbot's son would get a light sentence due to connections.

I pointed out that the son of the Tory got a light sentence for the manslaughter of a child and the assault of a witness, maybe it was due to his father's influence.

I posted a story about the son of a Conservative politician, went to a good school.

I pointed out that the son of the Tory got a light sentence for the manslaughter of a child and the assault of a witness, maybe it was due to his father's influence.
I didn't make any reference to political affiliations, by the way.

I didn't make any reference to political affiliations, by the way.

You wrote:

Seeing as he is the son of Abbott you did so indirectly.

Perhaps we should just end this here. If attacks are launched on politicians using their children as proxies then it's inevitable that someone will respond pointing to a similar or even worse case involving another party.

After reading the news article I’m wondering whether he has got mental health problems. Nine alleged assaults in three hospitals over a six month period. It just sounds a bit out of the norm.

After reading the news article I’m wondering whether he has got mental health problems. Nine alleged assaults in three hospitals over a six month period. It just sounds a bit out of the norm.

I was wondering about that as well,

Waterson also has a long history of assaults.

Leaving politics and parents out of it they might both be in need of psychiatric help.

But the irony was because the mother made a hypocrite of herself by breaking her own beliefs in sending him to a private school, in an attempt to keep him out of trouble. And yet he turned out a wrong 'un anyway!

But the irony was because the mother made a hypocrite of herself by breaking her own beliefs in sending him to a private school, in an attempt to keep him out of trouble. And yet he turned out a wrong 'un anyway!

A rather wafer thin irony, if I was a cynic I might think that it was an excuse to get around the no politics rule!

A rather wafer thin irony, if I was a cynic I might think that it was an excuse to get around the no politics rule!

EnolaGaia posted an ironic story about a Republican politician a few posts above.
Does whataboutery demand that you dig up some dirt on a Democrat now to restore equilibrium, or should we just keep this thread for tales of irony?

EnolaGaia posted an ironic story about a Republican politician a few posts above.
Does whataboutery demand that you dig up some dirt on a Democrat now to restore equilibrium, or should we just keep this thread for tales of irony?

If you post attacks on Labour under the guise of irony then you will be responded to in kind.

Time for you to stop digging or some other murderous Tory sons might be unearthed.

You wrote:

Seeing as he is the son of Abbott you did so indirectly.

Perhaps we should just end this here. If attacks are launched on politicians using their children as proxies then it's inevitable that someone will respond pointing to a similar or even worse case involving another party.
The 'because of who he is' bit I meant simply as 'the son of a politician'.
Not 'the son of a Labour politician'. But you added that layer of meaning!

The 'because of who he is' bit I meant simply as 'the son of a politician'.
Not 'the son of a Labour politician'. But you added that layer of meaning!

But he was the son of a labour politician

Anyway in that case there should have been no problem in me raising the case of Waterson, the son of a (yory) politician who got a remarkably light sentence for killing a toddler.

But he was the son of a labour politician
Yes...and? I was referring to the privileges accorded to the political classes, irrespective of their political leanings.
Stop right there, Ramon. Your mind is so focused on politics, it can't be good for your health.

Back