• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Yes...and? I was referring to the privileges accorded to the political classes, irrespective of their political leanings.
Stop right there, Ramon. Your mind is so focused on politics, it can't be good for your health.

I think you should take that up with Bless who obsessively started this off.

If you post attacks on Labour under the guise of irony then you will be responded to in kind. ... .

... And if you persist in trying to twist this discussion into a tit-for-tat exchange based on personal affiliations secondary to the relevant storyline you will be responded to without any kindness whatsoever.

Third, final, and deliberately bald-faced comment (seeing as how you don't seem to be taking Gordon's quite explicit hints).

Vancouver university's snowball fight snowed out, rescheduled

The University of British Columbia in Vancouver canceled its annual snowball fight Wednesday because of too much snow, but the event was rescheduled to Thursday.

The snowball fight had been set for 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on the Main Mall, but because of too much snow Tuesday night and Wednesday morning it had to wait for it to thaw out some. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ht-snowed-out-rescheduled/1321579201378/?sl=1

The title says it all.

Indonesian man who set strict adultery laws flogged in public for adultery

NSFW - Story contains images of religious caning.

An Indonesian man who helped set strict adultery laws has been flogged in public after he was caught having an affair with a married woman. He was caught by officials in September having affair with a woman, apparently in a car parked near a tourist beach, according to the report.
https://www.mazechmedia.com/2019/11...-adultery-laws-publicly-flogged-for-adultery/

Matthew Green
@matthew_d_green

A rumor I’ve heard (and can’t verify, so caveat emptor) is that Apple employees are barred from sharing confidential corporate docs via iCloud. If true, that sure isn’t a vote of confidence in the system.
Complementing this with another rumor: some Facebook employees are barred from using Messenger for corporate business.

The title says it all.

Indonesian man who set strict adultery laws flogged in public for adultery

NSFW - Story contains images of religious caning.

https://www.mazechmedia.com/2019/11...-adultery-laws-publicly-flogged-for-adultery/

Is there a notable phenomena of puritan types being hypocrites with "do as I say not as I do" or "it's OK when I do it"? I mean, we're all like that to some degree but do they have higher inclinations to that than on average? I vaguely recall something coming up in conversation fairly recently to the effect that it's been studied and there may even be a name for it.

Indian man dies after getting attacked by his rooster on their way to a cockfight

Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao, 50, was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster's claw on January 15. A police spokesman told CNN the father of three was taken to hospital, where he later died from a stroke.

Rao, who lived in Pragadavaram village in southern India's Andhra Pradesh state, was a regular at local cockfights, and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to break free, station house officer Kranti Kumar said.

Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/india/rooster-cockfight-death-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

maximus otter

Found on the Intermong:

"My Father-in-law is in hospital having had a heart attack & this is his tea!"

EPT5dE0XUAA8fb_

(Well, at least the baked beans should be good for his heart...)

maximus otter

Mechanic crushed to death by car he was stealing from

A thieving mechanic was crushed to death after a car fell on him while he was stealing its catalytic converter, an inquest heard.

Gary Gray, 38, died after the jack holding up the Vauxhall Astra came loose, causing the full weight of the vehicle to slam down and suffocate him.

An inquest heard that he had broken in after hours and had been attempting to steal a catalytic converter from the car's exhaust system, which could then be sold on for around £60.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/31/mechanic-crushed-death-car-stealing/

maximus otter

I got an email today reminding me I'd been booked in for a half day training course - that took place yesterday. I forgot to go on account of my colleague being off sick for two weeks, the Procurement system for the entire University back on line after being down for 9 days for upgrading (hah !) and no lunch break so far this year. The course was on "Resilience" or how to cope under stress,

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...+(Marginal+Revolution)#blog-comment-160042185

That reminds me. I was hiking with a guy recently. We were on a big wide fire road, but as a cyclist passed he turned to give my friend grief. "Choose one side of the other" he started to say, at which point he slipped off his pedals and nailed his balls on the top tube. And slunk off.
I said to my friend "instant karma."
As an old mountain biker I know there are things to complain about, but sharing a wide fire road for a slow uphill sure isn't one of them.

It somehow seems that this headline was inevitable...

Coronavirus Conference Gets Canceled Because of Coronavirus
The Council on Foreign Relations has canceled a roundtable called “Doing Business Under Coronavirus” scheduled for Friday in New York due to the spread of the infection itself. CFR has also canceled other in-person conferences that were scheduled from March 11 to April 3, including roundtables in New York and Washington and national events around the U.S.

The CFR’s confabs are joining a long list of canceled or postponed gatherings, including the annual New York auto show. The Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association said Tuesday that the car show will be rescheduled to late August.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nference-gets-canceled-because-of-coronavirus

I got an email today reminding me I'd been booked in for a half day training course - that took place yesterday. I forgot to go on account of my colleague being off sick for two weeks, the Procurement system for the entire University back on line after being down for 9 days for upgrading (hah !) and no lunch break so far this year. The course was on "Resilience" or how to cope under stress,
Reminds me of a place I used to work .. we were being over worked because we were understaffed, we were given anonymous questionnaires to fill in which we did detailing these problems. Instead of hiring more staff, head office got our GM to take us all off the work floor in waves of about 20 to ask us how this situation could be improved. Someone in my group had the courage to point out that not taking us all off the work floor for an hour each would be a good start! .. the company lost roughly 100 hours of labour with that brainwave and of course, we were still all expected to return to our departments and catch up on the missing hours .. and we didn't get anymore staff. Morons.

California mega-church cancels its ‘faith healing’ hospital visits, citing coronavirus

A prominent Northern California mega-church whose members believe their prayers heal the sick and raise the dead is advising the faithful to wash their hands, urging those who feel sick to stay home, canceling missionary trips and advising its faith healers to stay away from local hospitals.

Bethel Church leaders say they’re in close contact with local health officials, but they’re not yet canceling services for the 6,300 people who attend services each week in Redding, one of the largest regular gatherings in far Northern California.

“Through email communications, signage, and church announcements, we are actively encouraging health practices and precautions to our whole community,” Aaron Tesauro, a church spokesman, said in an email. “We believe that wisdom, modern medicine, and faith are meant to work together, and express the value for each in the pursuit of continued health and healing.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/entertainmen...rQ9zSb8QHC59srUKzfEad_NNzLEGpTs#storylink=cpy

Another apropos of corona virus (a minor irony in the scheme of things): After months of being underemployed, I finally got a job that paid better and am caught up on my bills; I can afford to go out and see my friends, but every restaurant and venue is closed, and friends are sheltering in place . . .

Back