• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Another apropos of corona virus (a minor irony in the scheme of things): After months of being underemployed, I finally got a job that paid better and am caught up on my bills; I can afford to go out and see my friends, but every restaurant and venue is closed, and friends are sheltering in place . . .
Skype party is your best option...

Another apropos of corona virus (a minor irony in the scheme of things): After months of being underemployed, I finally got a job that paid better and am caught up on my bills; I can afford to go out and see my friends, but every restaurant and venue is closed, and friends are sheltering in place . . .
Well now you will be able to save and have an even more brilliant time when you finally get out.:badge:

Well, in a way that is even better. You can save that money and have a hedge against bad times, or even get a bundle to invest and get serious. Your opportunity to make the system work for you. GL buddy.

Well, in a way that is even better. You can save that money and have a hedge against bad times, or even get a bundle to invest and get serious. Your opportunity to make the system work for you. GL buddy.
I hear there are some good bargains on the stock market these days. A good time to buy if you can hold on to your investments for awhile. Better than investing in jumbo packs of toilet paper.

A passenger who died on a bus in China has tested positive for a completely different virus than COVID-19 — one more fatal that often produces very similar symptoms, according to state-run media.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/man-w...for-hantavirus/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“The #Hantavirus first emerged in 1950s in the American-Korean war in Korea (Hantan river). It spreads from rat/mice if humans ingest their body fluids. Human-human transmission is rare,” Swedish scientist Dr. Sumaiya Shaikh tweeted.

“Please do not panic, unless you plan to eat rats,” she stressed.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said hantavirus is rare — but put the death rate at 38 percent.

So there's good news and there's bad news.

Rats were on Parisian menus (for real!) during the winter of 1870-71.
(They didn't want to give in to the Prussians, and were starved with the cooperation of their own government.)

Personally, I prefer mice to rats, but that's just me.

Rats were on Parisian menus (for real!) during the winter of 1870-71.
(They didn't want to give in to the Prussians, and were starved with the cooperation of their own government.)

Personally, I prefer mice to rats, but that's just me.

If I'm remembering correctly, various Roman recipes were found somewhere in Pompeii (in the top drawer of a kitchen I expect)

One was dormouse, dipped in honey and rolled in poppy seeds. :dinner:

Orthohantavirus is pretty bad, but it is carried by Asian rats, and is unlikely to become a problem outside of Asia. There is also a vaccine in advanced stages of completion as of 2016.

I believe it was the Romans that imported those to Britain.

And it was Walter Rothschild's Estate Manager who released the little bastard Glis Glis in Tring Park. Less than hundred years later they were chewing through the electrical wiring in my loft, the outhouse, the rear seat belt in the car (MOT failure) ...

When i phoned the hospital i noticed that they ranted on about the corona virus etc, all pronounced correctly, and when it got to about the third announcement, the electronic lady pronounced it as, coroner virus

Some back-ordered items for the Pharmacy Practice practicals that ran in February turned up this week at Work - I now have 10 boxes of a 100 Paracetamol caplets and no Students - which is a bit of a headache.

Microsoft acquired Skype for $8.5 billion back in 2011, the same year Zoom was founded. If the coronavirus pandemic happened in 2011, everyone would have used Skype for video calls. Now everyone is using Zoom instead, because Microsoft spent nearly 10 years mismanaging Skype

My cousin bought her cat a super-duper, expensive bed for its Christmas. When they unpacked the bed, they turned to see the cat curled up in the box.
They left the bed by the box and every morning the cat would be in the box looking very smug... then they noticed cat hairs on the bed. The went down earlier one morning and caught it in mid-leap from the bed to the box.

Last edited:
Austria will require the public to wear basic face masks in supermarkets, where they will be handed out probably from Wednesday in a bid to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Austria also has a law stopping you from covering your face.

This has probably been mentioned: the various bigots and God-botherers who preached that the coronavirus was fake, a divine punishment etc and then died of it.
I don't care enough about them to research their names. You'll have to take my word for it.

Changing the subject completely.I was watching an old programme about the first Gulf War.Apparently the Israeli Special Forces were practising ways to assassinate Saddam. In one training exercise they set up a convoy of Israeli soldiers dressed as Iraquis with a Saddam lookalike in one of the vehicles.Unfortunately the ambush group fired live rockets at the convoy.This caused serious injuries and even death to the pretend Iraquis.The only person to escape unscathed was the Saddam lookalike

Changing the subject completely.I was watching an old programme about the first Gulf War.Apparently the Israeli Special Forces were practising ways to assassinate Saddam. In one training exercise they set up a convoy of Israeli soldiers dressed as Iraquis with a Saddam lookalike in one of the vehicles.Unfortunately the ambush group fired live rockets at the convoy.This caused serious injuries and even death to the pretend Iraquis.The only person to escape unscathed was the Saddam lookalike

Sounds like an Urban Legend; in fact, true:

"In November 1992, a training exercise for the mission went horribly wrong. Commandos thought they were firing a live missile at mannequins representing Saddam and his bodyguards. In fact, fellow soldiers were playing those roles. Five of them died — although, ironically, the officer portraying Saddam survived."

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=129003&page=1

The full story of Operation Bramble Bush.

maximus otter

Microsoft acquired Skype for $8.5 billion back in 2011, the same year Zoom was founded. If the coronavirus pandemic happened in 2011, everyone would have used Skype for video calls. Now everyone is using Zoom instead, because Microsoft spent nearly 10 years mismanaging Skype

How is Skype mismanaged?

It works on desktops and phones, and can handle conference calls.

I know it has fallen out of fashion, but not why this is the case?

Back