• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

How is Skype mismanaged?

It works on desktops and phones, and can handle conference calls.

I know it has fallen out of fashion, but not why this is the case?

I used Skype when it first came out and it was very good. When I lived in Tokyo I used to hang-out with my friend in L.A. all the time.

After microsoft bought it the the quality of the sound and video were dreadful and it constantly dropped the connection. It went for great to crap almost overnight.

I suppose they naturally want to find a way to cash in on death. It's what they do.

"Doctors are pocketing almost £15m a year from grieving families in return for filling in simple forms sanctioning the release of the bodies of loved ones for cremation.

"Ash cash" payments, as they are known by medical staff, are considered one of the perks of the job. Tales of junior doctors vying with each other to fill in the forms, for which they receive £73.50 a time, are legion. A junior doctor who blogs under the name "The Daily Rhino" has described ash cash "as the house officer's privilege, it is the fund for Thursday night drinks all over the country". "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/jan/10/doctors-cremation-ash-cash

maximus otter

"Doctors are pocketing almost £15m a year from grieving families in return for filling in simple forms sanctioning the release of the bodies of loved ones for cremation

In the aftermath of Harold Shipman the law was changed so that it required the signature of two Doctors (instead of one) before a body could be released for cremation. This was presumably designed as a final check into the cause of death before all forensic evidence was destroyed with the body. What it meant for me was I had to pay £86.00 for each signature on my Mother's release certificate. Glad the money didn't go to waste.

Oh, yeah, that's right. Doctors have notoriously illegible scribble instead of handwriting.

I love when someone takes their position of perceived power and ends up being hoist by their own petard.

A Venezuelan naval boat decided to try to force an issue with a cruise liner. A cruise liner with an ice-breaking hull.

Venezuelan naval boat rams passenger cruise liner, damages itself, sinks

A Venezuelan naval boat picked and lost a fight with a passenger cruise liner off the country's northern coast this week, ramming it several times before accidentally taking on water and sinking.

I love when someone takes their position of perceived power and ends up being hoist by their own petard.

Ah now, hoist by their own petard, that means they're blown up by a primitive bomb (petard) while trying to plant it to attack the enemy.

Lovely use of Shakespearean English there. As you were.

Ah now, hoist by their own petard, that means they're blown up by a primitive bomb (petard) while trying to plant it to attack the enemy.

Lovely use of Shakespearean English there. As you were.

Indeed, but in its more common usage, can also mean to be undone by one's own scheme.

Ramming speed!

You just knew this was bound to happen...

Corona beer company halts production as coronavirus pandemic grips Mexico
The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has forced major closures across the globe and now it’s closed the taps on Corona beer as well as shutting down several breweries across Mexico.
As the outbreak began to sweep across the world, sales of the once popular beer began to take a hit with Constellation Brands’ stock price dropping 12 per cent across two days.
A poll by 5W Public Relations found that out of 737 beer drinkers in the United States, 38 per cent wouldn’t buy a Corona “under any circumstances” because of the outbreak.
The closure of the breweries and suspension of production across Mexico comes after the government ordered non-essential businesses to keep their workers at home.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...o/news-story/2b6e81d222e01a46e7cec9bef3127be5

Indeed, but in its more common usage, can also mean to be undone by one's own scheme.

Ramming speed!

That's because the expression derives from that exact situation.

I am so angry about this. She has been on the radio constantly telling us what to do. She needs to resign. Now.
For those who haven’t read the report she visited her holiday home last weekend as well, so she is basically appearing on TV constantly telling us to stay at home and then at weekends she has been popping along to he holiday home with her family.

You just knew this was bound to happen...

Corona beer company halts production as coronavirus pandemic grips Mexico

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...o/news-story/2b6e81d222e01a46e7cec9bef3127be5

A poll by 5W Public Relations found that out of 737 beer drinkers in the United States, 38 per cent wouldn’t buy a Corona “under any circumstances” because of the outbreak.

Hard telling where those 737 beer drinkers were or how credible the "poll" is, but I can't help noticing something. There's that number again. Many recent polls and surveys seem to indicate that about 40% of US residents don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot. Five years ago, I'd have believed 20 or 25 percent but never 40. Anyway, after reading that, I stopped at the beer store on my way home and bought a six pack of Corona. It's pretty good really, though I prefer ales or porters or stouts most of the time. Usually, the only time I drink it is at a Mexican restaurant but that's not an option now. :(

That poll was bullshit, don't worry.

I hardly think the poll, no matter how real or imaginary it was, really had any impact on the economic decision to halt production. Like most places, Mexico has gone into lockdown and only essential services are running, the production of beer not being one them (note to self: do not move to Mexico).

Phenomenal hypocrisy from Sturgeon too. If that had been someone from the opposition I'm sure that she would be very vocally calling for her resignation.

Around here, it's gotten popular for people to go watch when the milking cows are being released onto grass for the first time that year. The cows jump around, enjoying the fresh air and grass.
This year, as people can't attend, it will instead be live-streamed. So you can sit quarantined in your own house, watching cows enjoy the freedoms you can only dream of.

:) I hope this is not too political. It amuses me greatly.

Kate Kelly, NYT writer tweets:

And as our executive editor @deanbaquet pointed out in a recent interview with my colleague @benyt, Kavanaugh "was a live, ongoing story that had become the biggest political story in the country. It was just a different news judgment moment."

And many replies can be summarized in this tweet by Gad Saad:

You’re right. @JoeBiden running for president is not an important enough journalistic moment to report on a sexual assault allegation.

And this tweet by the NYT becomes self ironic if you read the last sentence:

IMG_20200416_135751.jpg

In the aftermath of Harold Shipman the law was changed so that it required the signature of two Doctors (instead of one) before a body could be released for cremation. This was presumably designed as a final check into the cause of death before all forensic evidence was destroyed with the body. What it meant for me was I had to pay £86.00 for each signature on my Mother's release certificate. Glad the money didn't go to waste.

One of the very few perks of my job is free cremations. You can insert your own speculative jokes......

How's this for irony: A few months before the big Virus changeover, there was a frenzied debate in the mass media concerning the acceptabilty or otherwise of the wearing of various facial coverings in public. This was often, but not solely, centred roun d the burqa or hajib (or whatever).

Mr Johnson himself came under fire for jocular remarks comparing certain users of facial masks as looking like `post boxes`.

A fe months down the line and facial coverings (or be it for a totally different reason) are de rigeurr and even officially encouraged

It's like a kind of poetic justice!

[Mods: I'm not trying to re-ignite the debate on this issue - just commenting on the irony of it.]

Back