• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

IMG_20200418_091739.jpg

It's the Guardian. They hate this country.
The title should actually say 'British workers reject low-paid fruit-picking jobs as Romanians flown in'.
British workers are already being paid 80% by the government to sit on their arse. There must be far more who could get off theirs and go and do an essential job. They can't all be living with elderly parents or have asthma or whatever surely?

It's the Guardian. They hate this country.

Seriously - you really believe that utter tosh? Laughable.

As David Plankton pointed out on another thread, those on furlough cannot do other paid work. That means it would have to be volunteers or those people on UC, self employed not eligible for UC or government relief, maybe students or retired..

In addition you'd have to live close to the farms involved or be prepared to move to accommodation provided by farms, in caravans or whatever, to be paid £3 ph or whatever the rate is, or be prepared to travel a distance to do it.

It's not so clear cut & straightforward.

I have done seasonal farm work ( a long time ago ), it is boring, hard work, no job security and the pay is crap, the main reason ( I believe ) is that the supermarkets dictate to the growers how much they will pay because obviously they want to make as much money as possible, it appeals to foreign workers as they can make more money here than in their own country. A fair days wage for a fair days work isn't possible when your dealing with multinational supermarkets, maybe things will change as it did after the great plague. That said, I would do farm work now if I could as you make a lot of friends and have a good time in the evenings.

British workers are already being paid 80% by the government to sit on their arse. There must be far more who could get off theirs and go and do an essential job. They can't all be living with elderly parents or have asthma or whatever surely?

I would have expected an army of gammons to cheerfully volunteer to pick fruit and vegetables, happy with their newly won freedom.

You could not make this up..

The Thursday evening Clap for Carers is resulting in more work for carers as people injure themselves clapping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52506114
Some people arrive at hospital immediately after the clap, others later in the evening, after trying and failing to get over their injury at home.

"When you're trying to keep pressure off the NHS, it's adding to the workload at a time when we really want to avoid that happening," Richard says. "I think people need to be careful and just slow down a bit if they're going out into the street."

You could not make this up..

The Thursday evening Clap for Carers is resulting in more work for carers as people injure themselves clapping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52506114
Silly twats.

Has to be said though: whatever people do, they can injure themselves.

I'm the last person to sneer at others' clumsiness, having once pulled a thigh muscle by turning over in bed.

[Protective] face mask DNA leads to arrest of man in child molestation case, California cops say

A discarded coronavirus face mask helped police arrest a man accused of child molestation, California police said.

iu

Leonardo Ramirez, 28, was arrested after a DNA sample collected from a discarded face mask matched a DNA sample collected two years ago when a young girl was sexually assaulted, according to a King City Police Department news release.

In February 2018, a juvenile girl reported being sexually assaulted, but police did not know the suspect’s identity, police said.

“Earlier this year information was developed leading MCU personnel to suspect Leonardo Ramirez, a male resident of King City, as a person of interest in the crimes in question.”

Police said Major Crimes Unit officials met with Ramirez to “discuss an unrelated matter” at the King City Police Department.

“When Leonardo Ramirez arrived he was offered a disposable mask to comply with the ongoing Monterey Public Health Order as investigators were to be in close proximity as they spoke,” the news release said. “Upon receiving the mask Leonardo Ramirez discarded a mask he had been wearing which MCU staff collected at the conclusion of the interview.”

The mask was submitted for DNA testing by the California Department of Justice, and the DNA on the mask matched a sample collected in 2018...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article243223406.html

:rollingw:

maximus otter

That's the face of a man who knows he's done for.

Here's to Amber Hamilton and her courageous outing of this bit of cowardice. There are many rotten things coming to light around this event.

Aren't police officers allowed to have previously studied sociology?
Am I missing something here?

Aren't police officers allowed to have previously studied sociology?
Am I missing something here?

I think the point at issue is not that the officers had studied sociology, but rather that the sociology department had proactively sought to deflect inquiries and quash potential department members' comments.

Y’all. (1/n)
. . . the mathematical series 1/n goes towards zero, but never actually gets there . . . (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, . . . 1/1,000,000,000, . . . ).
(I just think stuff like that is cool. Obviously this belongs in a different thread! :nerd: )

Another version of the Sokal hoax:

One time my colleagues and I wrote a modified part of Hitler's Mein Kampf into an "autoethnography" about a white lesbian woman discovering her whiteness through Critical Race Theory and hating herself for it and got told in peer review that it positioned her as a "good white."

London anti-racism protests leave 27 officers hurt
View attachment 27009
I like how the protester and the police officer are both attending to the person on the ground.

Stern, rigid and aggressive responses to conflict usually escalate tension and lead to some level of violence.* It always seems odd to me that more people don't seem to understand that.

*I guess that's ironic too! You try to keep something nice and tidy, but make sh*t spill out all over instead!

Last edited:
Back