• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Another one of these:

Man, 37, dies from coronavirus after dismissing pandemic as ‘hype’ on Facebook

US Army veteran Richard Rose had repeatedly criticised all the "s**t about COVID" and tagged himself at crowded venues before contracting the bug and dying days later

The 37-year-old had been openly sceptical about the risks of Covid-19, writing in a post on April 28 "I'm not buying a f***ing mask" and "I've made it this far by not buying into that damn hype".

In another, he wrote: "I’ve gotten sick of turning my tv on to political smear ads and s**t about COVID.

Screenshot_20200716-201955_Twitter.jpg

A potential Covid cluster has been identified in Lanarkshire. At a Covid track and trace call centre..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53465160

A potential cluster of Covid-19 cases is being investigated in North Lanarkshire, health officials have confirmed.

BBC Scotland understands the outbreak involves a call centre which carries out coronavirus contact tracing for the NHS.

One employee said they believed at least seven colleagues had tested positive.

Coronavirus: Travellers from Spain told to quarantine.
Travellers arriving in the UK from Spain must now quarantine for 14 days, under new coronavirus travel rules.
They were announced on Saturday following a spike in coronavirus cases in Spain.......etc
Among those affected by the new rules is Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, who began his holiday in Spain on Saturday. He is expected to continue his trip as planned and isolate in line with guidance on his return.

(I bet somebody in the Cabinet Office is having a good chuckle at that one)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53541301

St Bernard rescued from Scafell Pike

A team spokesman said Daisy had been showing signs of pain in her legs and was refusing to move.

St Bernards are traditionally on the other side of such mercy missions - they were originally bred in the Swiss Alps as mountain rescue dogs.

Friday's operation, which involved 16 members of the MRT, took five hours as rescuers carried Daisy on a stretcher over obstacles including a waterfall.

The spokesman said: "The team rescues canine casualties around a dozen times every year but this was the first time a St Bernard breed has been rescued by the team.

"It was important to get Daisy off the mountain quickly as the weather was due to deteriorate later that evening."

Daisy on stretcher being carried

Update ... Daisy the St. Bernard is fine ...
Daisy the St. Bernard recovers from her mountain ordeal

Don’t worry: Daisy — the St. Bernard who reversed mountain rescue conventions — is fine.

The owners of the dog who collapsed while descending England’s tallest mountain says she’s recovering well after a mountain rescue team helped her to safety . ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/90f96d26e98a6d7c4ad56c127362b626

I ave to wonder if Daisy's people included her in endurance training or not--I'm assuming the people did endurance training. Not that it's Mt. Everest or anything, but still. "Climbing Scafell Pike is a serious undertaking and should not be underestimated. Whichever route you take, it's a tough, steep hike which involves scrambling over hard terrain." (Thank you, Google.)

Splash Mountain Ride Vehicle Sinks at the Magic Kingdom

The iconic attraction has experienced lengthy downtime and even closing for several days whilst the attraction was drained so that crews could work on the undisclosed problem.

At approximately 5:30pm yesterday evening, Splash Mountain closed for the rest of the day and guests were evacuated.
Splash-Mountain-Ride-Vehicle-Sinks-at-the-Magic-Kingdom.jpg

https://orlandothemeparkzone.com/2020/08/03/splash-mountain-ride-vehicle-sinks-at-the-magic-kingdom/

Experts have been warning that office buildings closed for coronavirus lockdowns might face Legionnaires' disease risks when they reopen. Now it has happened in some C.D.C. offices. https://t.co/CAXoNtTJpH

The library is charging me late fees for a book. I can't return the book because the library has closed early due to covid. The library has also blocked the self-service drop-off due to covid. The book is Catch-22.

Black Met inspector stopped by police while driving home from work

A black police inspector has complained to the Metropolitan police about racial harassment after two white officers stopped him while he was driving.

The incident took place in Croydon as Ehikioya, 55, was driving home. One of the officers said he had been stopped because of his speed and because “it looked like he had gone through a red light”.

The officer asked Ehikioya for his driving licence as well as proof he was insured to drive the car, that the vehicle had not been stolen, that he was not intoxicated and that he not been using his phone.

Ehikioya said: “I believed I was racially profiled and received no apology. I have kids and a grandson, I would not want them treated like this.”

The two officers left the scene after Ehikioya informed them he was a serving colleague and showed them his police badge.

Man, whenever I was given speeding tickets, they never asked me if I'd stolen the car!

Northamptonshire Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training

The Northamptonshire Police officer was showing new recruits how to use hinged handcuffs when the incident happened.

The training sergeant thanked Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service for cutting the cuffs off him using a pedal cutter.

The force's chief constable joked he "would rather have chewed my arm off than call the fire service".

After the incident was shared on Twitter, colleagues of the released officer said the incident carried a "cake fine" and would probably result in a "career-long nickname".

The officer in question - the core training sergeant for the force - was made to walk to the fire station to be cut free from the cuffs.

Back