• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

8 March 1989 Columbia, South Carolina Michael Godwin 28 Initially sentenced to death by electrocution, but later reduced to a life sentence. He was accidentally electrocuted when he bit a pair of earphone wires while sitting on a metal toilet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_on_the_toilet

Warning!
Stay away from this Twitter account. It's an addictive rabbit hole!
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki
Oh dear, the poor man who "Died from explosive gastrointestinal problems while in a public toilet" -
That sounds painful!

Eh?… There’s some element missing - were the earphone wires connected to mains or something?
Well maybe, maybe not. It is popularly supposed that high votages (>100V ac) and currents of at least 20mA through the heart are need to kill a person.

But once normal skin resistances are overcome, the current and voltages required to drive that current drops...7mA will certainly kill and as little as 50V is plenty. DC voltages are more dangerous than AC in this regard. Time is also a factor.

If (for the sake or argument) biting the headphone lead put a live wire of some type in his mouth, nice wet conducting saliva, and his 'person' was making a good contact with the metal (earthed) toilet seat for a 5-10s periods, I'd say it was very possible.

I've had a few 'robust' discussions with people about this kind of electrical safety issue...they're wrong.

That said, we have rules with nice defined numbers as otherwise we'd still be dying from badly earthed cookers and the like.

The trigger for his vengeance was an inopportune decision by the new sixty-six-year-old Pope Paul III, who was elected to succeed Clement VII on 12 October 1534. On 20 May 1535, he created Fisher a cardinal priest of St Vitalis, presumably in the hope that this would improve his treatment in England.
The Pope and his advisers did not understand Henry. It was like showing a red hat to a bull.

The King flew into a mighty rage and forbade Fisher’s cardinal’s hat to be sent to England. He declared bitingly that he would ‘send [Fisher’s] head afterwards to Rome for the cardinal’s hat’.

God helps those who help themselves.

A church with a self-stated mission of relieving world poverty spent £180,000 on business-class flights in five years, an inquiry has found.

The Everlasting Arms Ministries also shelled out £457,665 on "international outreach", which went on luxury hotel stays, over a three-year period.

The charities watchdog has said former bosses were responsible for the serious mismanagement of the church. It praised the Peckham church's new trustees for making improvements.

The Local Democracy Reporting Service has approached the Everlasting Arms Ministries for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-61839802

God helps those who help themselves.

A church with a self-stated mission of relieving world poverty spent £180,000 on business-class flights in five years, an inquiry has found.

The Everlasting Arms Ministries also shelled out £457,665 on "international outreach", which went on luxury hotel stays, over a three-year period.

The charities watchdog has said former bosses were responsible for the serious mismanagement of the church. It praised the Peckham church's new trustees for making improvements.

The Local Democracy Reporting Service has approached the Everlasting Arms Ministries for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-61839802
A friend of mine worked in the local church office. Her father had passed on and she had the house to herself. She became quite ill and ended up in the hospital and I went to see her.
When I got there, the parish priest was there talking to her. He ordered me out of the room, I realized he was trying to get her to sign over her house to him, and did not want me to know what he was doing.
I was concerned about her illness, he was concerned about $.

I expect some misunderstanding, confusion or lack of knowledge about the subject there - Atheism is being mixed-up with Christian agnosticism it would seem.
Christianity has, for a long time now, been a (mostly) tolerant culture, which has been free enough to allow atheism and agnosticism to flourish. Other religions are more self-enforcing and they try to police the thoughts and actions of their people. Atheism, thinking outside the box, questioning, none of these things are tolerated.

Craft brewery Brewdog's CEO James Watt, who had criticised other independent breweries for "selling out" to bigger companies, has approached Heineken to enquire if they would be interested in buying part of his company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61864733
The approach was in 2018.

He generally comes across as such a poor employer and not nice human being that little would surprise me.

Twitter: therealkiyosaki @theRealKiyosaki
Best INVESTMENT: Cans of Tuna Fish. Inflation about to take off. Best investments are cans of tuna & baked beans. You can’t eat gold, silver, or Bitcoin. You can eat cans of tuna and baked beans. Food most important. Starvation next problem. Invest in the solution. Take care.

Don't know if ironic or serious. Sign of the times ... :oops:

Twitter: therealkiyosaki @theRealKiyosaki
Best INVESTMENT: Cans of Tuna Fish. Inflation about to take off. Best investments are cans of tuna & baked beans. You can’t eat gold, silver, or Bitcoin. You can eat cans of tuna and baked beans. Food most important. Starvation next problem. Invest in the solution. Take care.

Don't know if ironic or serious. Sign of the times ... :oops:
I've heard this from somebody else. It might be because cans of beans and tuna keep for a long time on the shelf... and food shortages may be on the way.

1655923824140.png

Drunk Mayor Crashes Car After Meeting Families of Drunk Driving Victims

Residents are furious over an Australian mayor's drunk driving crash just one hour after she met with the families of drunk driving victims.

Redland City Mayor Karen Williams admitted to drinking "several glasses of wine" before crashing her car into a tree on Thursday night, local outlets reported.

Australia has one of the world's highest rates of car accidents caused by drunk driving, following the United States, Canada and South Africa.

Williams said she made "a serious error of judgment" and was "deeply regretful" after her drunk driving crash. She stepped down from the Brisbane Olympics 2032 board on Sunday. However, she is resisting calls for her resignation.

"I made a mistake, I will learn from that mistake, and I will continue to serve my community as I have for the last 18 years," she said in a statement to local outlets.

https://www.newsweek.com/drunk-mayo...eeting-families-drunk-driving-victims-1719613

maximus otter

Crowd brawl breaks out during Eagles performance of Take It Easy in London

The fight broke out in the Diamond VIP area in Hyde Park, where ticket prices started at just £399

A8xbYbZiW4aXvofnX6fRtX-970-80.jpg.webp

In a video of the fracas, several fans can be seen grappling on the Hyde Park turf, throwing punches and pushing away the security guards who attend the scene. More members of the security detail arrive, there's further pushing and punching, and the oblivious Eagles play on, their smooth harmonies delighting those in the crowd whose attention has remained on the stage. Eventually, after much belligerence and no small amount of hoo-ha, the unruly music lovers are led away.
https://www.loudersound.com/news/cr...-eagles-performance-of-take-it-easy-in-london

I love the Eagles. Shame that there's always trouble these days. Even at events like Ascot. What's wrong with people?
I drove through Ascot high street recently, when the races were on. I've never seen it as busy as that - people milling about everywhere, the ladies in their finest gear and wearing crazy hats, the chaps wearing the most expensive suits on the planet... I think there are now more people than ever attending these once-exclusive events, so it's almost inevitable that a fight might break out.

I drove through Ascot high street recently, when the races were on. I've never seen it as busy as that - people milling about everywhere, the ladies in their finest gear and wearing crazy hats, the chaps wearing the most expensive suits on the planet... I think there are now more people than ever attending these once-exclusive events, so it's almost inevitable that a fight might break out.
But aren't a lot of them just there to get hammered and have no interest (or knowledge) in horse racing anyway? Maybe Ascot still retains a more 'upper crust' lot, but I have seen pictures from somewhere of lots of fat, orange women sprawled out drunk.

But aren't a lot of them just there to get hammered and have no interest (or knowledge) in horse racing anyway? Maybe Ascot still retains a more 'upper crust' lot, but I have seen pictures from somewhere of lots of fat, orange women sprawled out drunk.
I did see plenty of barely-dressed fake-orange-tan women, but none were fat. They were all young, hot WAGs.

Yes, who is that woman in the photo??
I was afraid to ask!
People have certainly changed, my avatar is from your Hyde Park Rolling Stones concert of 1969 (I think), which was peaceful and happy apparently - and no fat orange ladies!

Yes, who is that woman in the photo??
I was afraid to ask!
People have certainly changed, my avatar is from your Hyde Park Rolling Stones concert of 1969 (I think), which was peaceful and happy apparently - and no fat orange ladies!
They call it 'chavscot' now;
ascot.jpg

Ironically it was at Ascot's Ladies Day last year that my sister and niece both caught Covid.

Back