• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

The Queen Mum would have run over that lot in her golf buggy.
I'm not sure about that - she would've probably more likely joined them for a gin and tonic.
She liked a glass of mothers ruin did old Lizzie Bowes-Lyon.
Either that or she would have got one of her footmen to shoot the bleeders.

What happened here :cool:
1656788867847.png

1656788888263.png

I'm not sure about that - she would've probably more likely joined them for a gin and tonic.
She liked a glass of mothers ruin did old Lizzie Bowes-Lyon.
Either that or she would have got one of her footmen to shoot the bleeders.
Naw, she'd have done it herself, during WW2 the Queen Mother took it upon herself to learn how to shoot. She had target practice in the gardens of Buckingham Palace and the staff were frequently alarmed by the sounds of gun shots.

Wildlife trophy hunter gunned down in 'execution-style' murder

Riaan Naude, who posted pictures of himself on social media posing with the carcasses of animals he had killed, was found lying dead next to his vehicle in Limpopo

Naude ran the Pro Hunt Africa firm, which describes itself on its website as a "hunting and Eco Safari outfit" in northernmost South Africa.

The Heritage Protection Group, a not-for-profit group against rhino poaching, claims Naude stopped his vehicle on the side of the road after it overheated around 5km from Mokopane.

It said a man "shot him in cold blood at close range" after a second vehicle pulled up next to him. Two suspects were said to have exited the car and stole a gun from Naude before getting back into their vehicle and driving in the direction of Marken.
1656927179151.png

On the death of Philip II:

Only Seville staged exequies that rivalled those of Madrid. When news of Philip’s death arrived, the council determined ‘to put on the greatest spectacle ever seen’, and to this end black drapes and flags went up all around the city, driving up the price of black cloth until the magistrates had to impose price controls. A magnificent catafalque, modelled (like that in Madrid) on the Escorial and illuminated with over 2,000 candles, stood in the midst of the darkened cathedral to serve as the focus when, on 26 November, the city’s clergy, magistrates, judges and Inquisitors filed in to take part in the ceremony. As their eyes grew accustomed to the light, however, the various groups of dignitaries noticed subtle differences in the quality and quantity of seats assigned to them. Arguments broke out among them until, in the middle of the funeral Mass, the Inquisitors excommunicated the magistrates because they would not vacate their superior seats. The ceremony ended in chaos.

This strikes me as ironic ... This Seattle auto collision repair business was demolished beyond repair when a driver smashed an SUV into the business's building, collapsing it.
Car plows into Seattle auto shop, building in shambles

An out-of-control vehicle plowed into an 82-year-old auto repair building, reducing part of the building to a pile of rubble.

This accident happened just after 9:30 a.m. Monday in Seattle’s Roosevelt neighborhood ...

The accident left the building so precarious that the Seattle Department of Transportation closed a busy offramp from Interstate 5 onto 73rd Street that locals use ...

This building is so unstable, the worry is that part of it might fall into the street onto a passing car. ...

“I had a structural engineer out yesterday,” Paul Holman of Holman’s Collision repair told some Seattle firefighters ...

Seattle Fire tweeted a photo of the scene soon after the accident. Incredibly, everyone emerged largely unscathed, including the driver and her passenger. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/bu...mbles-after-crash/HBURJVXKAJBQXPLJ5BMORES2FI/

From Twitter: @PaleoPhil
:)

The scientists who spent billions on this project promised us it would answer the great questions of the universe. Instead, we got larger, somewhat clearer dots.

Tory crime commissioner Caroline Henry banned from driving after being caught speeding five times in 12 weeks

At a police and crime panel meeting last month, Henry said she remained "absolutely committed" to reducing speeding, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Henry was reportedly teary at times as she gave evidence on Monday, telling the court that relying on public transport would make it difficult to transport her children.

She was fined £2,450 and banned for six months for exceeding 30mph limits in a blue Mercedes and a Lexus with a private number plate.

There have been calls for her to step down but she previously said she wanted to stay in her £76,000 job.

"I remain committed to serving the people of Nottinghamshire as police and crime commissioner.”

Henry told the court that relying on public transport would cause exceptional hardship and make it difficult to transport her children.

However, she was still banned after getting three penalty points for each of the five offences.

The Caroline Henry story is probably the biggest demonstration of 'karma' I think I have ever been aware of, lol.
One of her policies when she got elected as the PCC for Nottinghamshire police was 'making roads safer'.

Henry was reportedly teary at times as she gave evidence on Monday, telling the court that relying on public transport would make it difficult to transport her children.

Well maybe you shouldn't have been driving so fast then?

Shouldn't she have been banned after a maximum of four times, seeing as four threes are twelve?

Shouldn't she have been banned after a maximum of four times, seeing as four threes are twelve?
You would think so wouldn't you but that's not how it works I'm afraid.
It takes a long time to get to a court date these days, so assuming she appealed against the original (first) time she got caught speeding, the other offences that have been taken into consideration here have happened during the intervening period, up to the point at which the case against her was brought to the court. (usually the 'charges' are written up some weeks before the actual day of trial)
There could be many other speeding offences that she has also committed since then, but would not be included in this case.
So this might not be the end of this story for 'Lead-foot' Henry.

You would think so wouldn't you but that's not how it works I'm afraid.
It takes a long time to get to a court date these days, so assuming she appealed against the original (first) time she got caught speeding, the other offences that have been taken into consideration here have happened during the intervening period, up to the point at which the case against her was brought to the court. (usually the 'charges' are written up some weeks before the actual day of trial)
There could be many other speeding offences that she has also committed since then, but would not be included in this case.
So this might not be the end of this story for 'Lead-foot' Henry.
I've only ever acumulated 9 and that was a long time ago (one of those was for just over 30), nothing really stupid, but a friend of mine got up to 12 and had to go to court and pay a fine. It was all done quite quickly. Mind you that was a few years ago.

Mate of mine's boss was an ex copper. He told my mate that they had caught one kid three times at the same time of day on three successive days in the same speed trap.

On the second day he said: “Didn’t think you’d be here again the next day.”

On the third day he said: “Didn’t think you’d be here three days running.”

OK, so I appreciate this is a rather old story, but it featured in today's (French) Quora and, as a classic example of tragic irony, it feels like it merits a place here.

French Nobel literature prize-winning author Albert Camus had a profound fear of travelling as a car passenger and would invariably resort to train travel for both work and social purposes.
Having spent the New Year with his family at his country house in Vaucluse, he was due to return to Paris on 4th January 1960 for a work commitment, and duly purchased his train ticket.
A guest of the Camus family at the New Year festivities was Camus' publisher and family friend Michel Gallimard, who was the proud owner of a luxurious Facel Vega FVS sports car. Gallimard was heading back to his premises in Paris anyway and persuaded Camus to come with him in the car.
On the Route nationale 5, which was icy at the time, Gallimard lost control of the car, which collided with a tree, killing Camus instantly and Gallimard succumbed to his injuries a few days later.
The unused train ticket was found in Camus' pocket.

Camus was on record as stating "Je ne connais rien de plus stupide que de mourir dans un accident de voiture." (I can't think of anything more stupid than to die in a car accident).

Albert Camus: 7 November 1913 to 4 January 1960 (aged 46).

Twitter: Calum Macdonald @CalumAM

Yes I have just taken delivery of my new Wi-Fi enabled dishwasher (thank you, landlord). And yes it does mean that after I have stood right beside it, loading it with dishes, I can then leave the kitchen and turn it on from elsewhere in the flat. CONVENIENT, I’m sure you’ll agree

Also Twitter:

1659164167357.png

What on Earth did we all do before appliances became networked?

What on Earth did we all do before appliances became networked?
We used to have devices that when you clicked the switch they came on or went off (OK so TVs etc. used to have to warm up but most things it was on/off)
Now they have to run some sort of operating sequence before they do anything by which time I've usually turned it off and on several times as I'm convinced it isn't working. I then have to watch it cycle through a sequence of on/off while it catches up.

Now they have to run some sort of operating sequence before they do anything by which time I've usually turned it off and on several times as I'm convinced it isn't working. I then have to watch it cycle through a sequence of on/off while it catches up.
That sounds so much better than that on/off thing. So much better.

You wait until Microsoft enter the electric car market and you suddenly find your car won't drive down a particular stretch of road until you update it.
It will be worse than that, your car will completely shut down for an update just while you are in the middle of switching lanes having overtaken an articulated lorry on the motorway.

Back