• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Planes are as bad. I was due to fly out to Guernsey from Stansted, 5 or 6 years ago, and all us passengers got to the little bit before the steps down to the tarmac, ready to board the plane, and the staff member there told us to sit and wait for a little while.
About 45 minutes later we were allowed to board, whereupon the captain informed us that the aircraft had refused to move until it had completed a software update.

The Spanish government recently ran an ad campaign aimed at women with the aim of showing that all women's bodies are "beach ready" no matter size or shape. It features a selection of ladies badly photoshopped onto a picture of a beach. It has transpired however that at least two of the women had their bodies used without their consent. To add the icing on the cake, one of them had her prosthetic leg edited out as apparently "all women" are only beach ready if they possess a full complement of limbs.

You couldn't make it up!
A British model says she was left furious after the Spanish government used her image without permission and edited out her prosthetic leg.
The photo was used as part of a body positivity campaign launched by Spain's equality ministry.
But Sian Green-Lord, 32, said she only found out about the campaign when friends messaged her about it.
She is the second woman featured in the campaign to say her photos were used without permission.
On Friday, Nyome Nicholas-Williams, from London, told the BBC that an image from her Instagram page was used in the poster released by the Spanish Institute for Women
More at the link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62365796

"Given the - justified - controversy over the image rights in the illustration, I have decided that the best way to make amends for the damages that may have resulted from my actions is to share out the money I received for the work and give equal parts to the people in the poster," the artist said.

You mean she got paid for that? :chuckle:

The Spanish government recently ran an ad campaign aimed at women with the aim of showing that all women's bodies are "beach ready" no matter size or shape. It features a selection of ladies badly photoshopped onto a picture of a beach. It has transpired however that at least two of the women had their bodies used without their consent. To add the icing on the cake, one of them had her prosthetic leg edited out as apparently "all women" are only beach ready if they possess a full complement of limbs.

You couldn't make it up!

More at the link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62365796

You mean she got paid for that? :chuckle:
Beginners error, surely, by someone with no idea about copyright law... otherwise you wouldn't plaster it all over a national poster campaign.

Twitter: Calum Macdonald @CalumAM

Yes I have just taken delivery of my new Wi-Fi enabled dishwasher (thank you, landlord). And yes it does mean that after I have stood right beside it, loading it with dishes, I can then leave the kitchen and turn it on from elsewhere in the flat. CONVENIENT, I’m sure you’ll agree

Also Twitter:

View attachment 57619

I was discussing this topic with a Scottish colleague a couple of days ago.
He said he'd just bought an Internet-enabled Candy tumble dryer, so you can stop/start and monitor the drying process from your smartphone.
I did ask him if it's been known to sing "Donald, where's yer troosers?".

From a bishop's church in Utrecht:

jester01.jpg
jester02.jpg

I was discussing this topic with a Scottish colleague a couple of days ago.
He said he'd just bought an Internet-enabled Candy tumble dryer, so you can stop/start and monitor the drying process from your smartphone.
Sooo . . . what exactly do you two do for a living that leaves you with so much time on your hands your colleague has to stay busy by keeping tabs on his dryer? What does this contraption provide him with, humidity readings? All you need for knowing when the drying cycle is over is a timer — but a timer's not good enough, huh? Not enough interruptions for him huh? A timer goes off only once, and he prefers to keep looking at his phone over and over and over throughout the drying process, huh? :rollingw:

Sooo . . . what exactly do you two do for a living that leaves you with so much time on your hands your colleague has to stay busy by keeping tabs on his dryer? What does this contraption provide him with, humidity readings? All you need for knowing when the drying cycle is over is a timer — but a timer's not good enough, huh? Not enough interruptions for him huh? A timer goes off only once, and he prefers to keep looking at his phone over and over and over throughout the drying process, huh? :rollingw:
Far easier to take your laundry down to the canal like I do.

Rugby star died ‘after suffering heart attack while beating up girlfriend’

A former British Rugby League player ‘viciously beat up’ his girlfriend of three years just moments before his death at a four-star hotel in Italy.

Prosecutors investigating the attack in the early hours of July 16 had to wait more than a week to talk to Jennie due to the extent of her injuries.
Her lawyer Stefano Goldstein told MailOnline: ‘My client Jennie was the victim of terrible assault and needed several operations during a lengthy stay in hospital.

‘She has cooperated fully with the authorities who are investigating the matter and we expect the case to be closed within the next few days but for Jennie the trauma of what happened will not end as she will need medical care in England.

‘Ricky had suffered mental health issues in recent times and experienced a serious downturn in the last six months,’ a family friend added.

Although toxicology results are yet to be confirmed, police say the rugby star had taken cocaine and alcohol which triggered his death.

A post-mortem examination confirmed he died from a heart attack.

From here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...s?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=VyEfQSrBRp&rank=1
I find this funny:

Just as patients do not come to therapy with a “genuine desire to change,” they do not come with a “genuine desire for self-knowledge.” Although at the outset many patients express a desire to know what went wrong, what they are doing that keeps backfiring, why their relationships always fall apart, and so on, there is-Lacan suggests-a more deeply rooted wish not to know any of those things. Once patients are on the verge of realizing exactly what it is they have done or are doing to sabotage their lives, they very often resist going any further and flee therapy. When they begin to glimpse their deeper motives and find them hard to stomach, they often drop out. Avoidance is one of the most basic neurotic tendencies.

Freud occasionally talked about a drive to know (Wissentrieb), but Lacan restricts such a drive to children’s curiosity about sex (“Where do babies come from?”). In therapy, Lacan says, the analysand’s basic position is one of a refusal of knowledge, a will not to know (a ne rien vouloir savoir).”’ The analysand wants to know nothing about his or her neurotic mechanisms, nothing about the why and wherefore of his or her symptoms. Lacan even goes so far as to classify ignorance as a passion greater than love or hate: a passion not to know.”

From here:
https://slate.com/culture/2022/08/c...&utm_source=article&utm_content=twitter_share

There’s something adolescent about the belief that trauma automatically makes a person interesting or deep, but Hoover’s characterization needs all the help it can get to make her heroes and heroines seem more than generic. Often the only distinguishing traits they possess are their traumas: past abuse, burn scars, the death of a child (or children), a conviction for manslaughter in the accidental death of a former lover, a loveless childhood, and so on.

The blandness of Hoover’s characters makes them easy for anyone to identify with, and the smooth, featureless quality of her prose makes her novels easy to breeze through in a day or two. They are built of clichés, which is not necessarily a drawback in romance fiction, where the deployment of familiar devices feels comforting.

A popular Saint Louis area water park has been forced to close for the season as a result of flooding from recent record rains.
Aquaport closed for season following flooding damage

Aquaport decided to close for the season on Monday following the damage they sustained from flooding on July 26.

The outdoor water park in Maryland Heights said, “While we were initially hopeful the facility would be able to open at some point this summer, it has become apparent that the cleanup and repairs needed to safely operate the facility will not be able to be completed this season.” ...
FULL STORY: https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/aquaport-closed-for-season-following-flooding-damage/

Respected snake researcher dies from rattlesnake bite

A respected snake researcher who had been making significant discoveries about the species since childhood has died after being bitten by a timber rattler.

William H. “Marty” Martin died Aug. 3 after being bitten the day before by a captive snake on the property at his home in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.

https://apnews.com/article/science-mountains-virginia-obituaries-23be2c4051e18c447f1ed2a228e4aa09

maximus otter

Respected snake researcher dies from rattlesnake bite

A respected snake researcher who had been making significant discoveries about the species since childhood has died after being bitten by a timber rattler.

William H. “Marty” Martin died Aug. 3 after being bitten the day before by a captive snake on the property at his home in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.

https://apnews.com/article/science-mountains-virginia-obituaries-23be2c4051e18c447f1ed2a228e4aa09

maximus otter
Hazards of the job, I suppose.

Not sure I agree with this but it shows how much Governments rely on taxes from alcohol and tobacco;

Japan urges its young people to drink more to boost economy.​

Japan's young adults are a sober bunch - something authorities are hoping to change with a new campaign.

The younger generation drinks less alcohol than their parents - a move that has hit taxes from beverages like sake (rice wine).
So the national tax agency has stepped in with a national competition to come up with ideas to reverse the trend.
The "Sake Viva!" campaign hopes to come up with a plan to make drinking more attractive - and boost the industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62585809

China is very wasteful with its building programs. Property speculation will crash their economy.

From here:
https://www.pcgamer.com/mark-zucker...e-got-was-this-stupid-selfie/?utm_source=digg

I don't want to start this post by personally attacking Mark Zuckerberg's eyes, which have in years past been described as "two weird lil black marbles" and "vacant, black shark eyes." Who wouldn't look utterly bereft of a soul after trying to explain the internet to the United States Senate? I also don't need to suggest Mark Zuckerberg may in fact be a robot, since there's an entire meme community devoted to that joke. I am avoiding these easy, obvious dunks on ol' Zuck because his latest "metaverse" selfie looks so bad, he's already owned himself harder than I possibly could.

Zuckerberg posted a screenshot from Meta's Horizon Worlds (opens in new tab) on Facebook earlier this week, saying that he's "looking forward to seeing people explore and build immersive worlds" in the VR "metaverse." The screenshot is not just bad: it is exquisitely bad. It is ironic clipart bad. It is stock-cratering, anyone-other-than-a-billionaire-CEO-would-immediately-be-fired-for-this bad. Meta spent $10 billion on developing whatever the hell it's doing with the metaverse last year, and all it's got to show for it is a baby doll-faced Zuckerberg hovering in front of a miniature Eiffel Tower.

1661107161839.png

Back