• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Leading pro-Putin journalist gunned down by 'stray bullet' at military training ground

Svetlana Babayeva, 50, died during a “military sports shooting” event in the peninsula’s capital Simferopol.

A source told Cheka-OGPU Telegram channel that the Russian woman was killed by a bullet from her own weapon.

News outlet MK quoted a source saying she was killed by a freak “ricochet” of a bullet.

Her death brought expressions of grief from leading Putin officials and propagandists.
1667048367110.png

Could have been worse…..She might have fallen from a tall building afterwards! Quite a common occurrence for some reason!

In 2000, Smith’s aspiration was realized when the Florida Legislature passed a law allowing motorcyclists over 21 to go without head protection as long as they had $10,000 in insurance coverage for motorcycle accident injuries. ...
Is $10,000 enough to pay for a funeral?

Is $10,000 enough to pay for a funeral?
I'm pretty sure a modest funeral can still be done for about $10,000, depending on location. Ten grand would certainly cover a cremation and interment.

Do you think there'd be a discount if they stuck 2 people in one urn?

As some of our good friends across the Pond and other places around the world know, here in the U.S. we're getting through another frightening exciting election season. This means wads and wads of gigantic political flyers, printed on glossy, expensive card stock, get stuffed into our mail boxes every day. I get several a week for a candidate who is running in another state. I do not vote there because I do not live there. I have not lived there for years. I am no longer on the voter rolls, but they're spending money to get my vote. What is their main message?
"Senator _____ _____ and the ________ Party let millions of dollars in tax-funded covid relief payments get wasted . . . ! Stop the reckless spending!"
:curt:

Do you think there'd be a discount if they stuck 2 people in one urn?

The urn is a ceremonial / discretionary add-on. Its selection and purchase is optional. By default cremains are packaged into heavy-duty plastic bags and transported in cardboard or plastic boxes. The only discount would be the cost savings from not purchasing any urn.

I'm pretty sure a modest funeral can still be done for about $10,000, depending on location. Ten grand would certainly cover a cremation and interment.
Average cost of a funeral in the north of the UK is much less than £5k apparently.

Average cost of a funeral in the north of the UK is much less than £5k apparently.
IIRC the whole process of dealing with my mothers corpse, from dead in the hospital, through to being ashes in a plastic 'screw-top' container similar in size and shape to one of those large 'Quality Street' bottle/tub things (don't get them mixed-up) was about £3,500, including just the basics at the crematorium.

A Saint Louis scrap metal business that buys catalytic converters has had some of its catalytic converters stolen.
Catalytic Converters Stolen From St. Louis Scrapper That Buys Catalytic Converters

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department is looking for a thief who stole catalytic converters from a scrapper that buys catalytic converters. ...

In what must be the most St. Louis crime to ever be committed, four catalytic converters were stolen from Metro Metal Recyclers on Natural Bridge Avenue, a spot where people usually go to sell catalytic converters and other metal objects. ...

Catalytic converter theft has been big news in St. Louis lately. Everyone and their neighbor has had their catalytic converter stolen recently, it seems. ...

As for this crime, the only thing that would make this more St. Louis is if the alleged thief tried to sell these catalytic converters back to the scrapper in a few days. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/new...apper-that-buys-catalytic-converters-38845518

'Cats' contain expensive rare elements which make them particularly valuable.
Precious metals like palladium, rhodium and platinum are commonly used as the catalyst and these have an intrinsic value that means they're worth salvaging and recycling when the car is scrapped. Unfortunately, these precious metals also make catalytic converters a target for thieves.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/108937/what-is-a-catalytic-converter

Circa twenty percent of the USAF C-130H fleet was grounded because the propeller inscriptions used to document checking for propeller cracking were causing propellers to crack.
Maintenance-Caused Cracks Ground Hercs
By Russ Niles
Published: November 9, 2022 Updated: November 10, 202217

The Air Force has grounded 116 C-130Hs, more than 20 percent of the fleet, after it was determined that inscriptions scratched in the propellers documenting inspections for cracks actually caused cracks. “The process used to engrave serial numbers on the propellers likely contributed to cracks that are being found on the C-130Hs,” Maj. Beau Downey, an Air Force spokesperson, told Defense One. “That process, which involved an electric arc pen to incise digits into the surface of the metal, was stopped about six months ago and will not be used going forward.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/maintenance-caused-cracks-ground-hercs/

1668189435259.png

Rory Sutherland
@rorysutherland
Will anyone join me me in launching "The Career Ending Conference." Simple idea: everyone speaking is within six months of retirement, and can say what they really think.
The insight behind this is that retired politicians all seem surprisingly sane.

Anti-corruption unit cop gets caught taking public transport in Dublin marathon...

Garda accused of using Luas to complete Dublin Marathon​

A garda has been disqualified and banned from taking part again in the Dublin Marathon after suspicions were raised that they may have used public transport to complete the 42km race.

It emerged that the garda, who is a member of the anti-corruption unit, did not complete the course when they ran the 26-mile race two weeks ago.

Questions were raised about the off-duty garda's time amid suspicions they may have used the Luas to complete a portion of the race.

A spokesperson for the marathon said the person has apologised, returned their medal and t-shirt.

Via RTE News

... Will anyone join me me in launching "The Career Ending Conference." Simple idea: everyone speaking is within six months of retirement, and can say what they really think. ...
Is it supposed to be within 6 months before retirement or 6 months following retirement? :thought:

I dunno about having an "open and frank" exchange concerning bosses, but now I'm closing down our shop, I've become more open to the idea of unleashing my inner sarcasm on the idiot customers we sometimes get. Perhaps it's a change in perception but these seem to come daily now the end is in sight.
Sadly, my inbred sense of politeness restricts me still.

Sadly, my inbred sense of politeness restricts me still.
Ah now it sounds like just the sort of thing that I could happily do for you. I have no qualms about being 'direct' with people and speaking my mind.
Be honest, 'fire and forget', makes life a lot easier.
Okay so snowflakes get upset but tough.

Ah now it sounds like just the sort of thing that I could happily do for you. I have no qualms about being 'direct' with people and speaking my mind.
Be honest, 'fire and forget', makes life a lot easier.
Okay so snowflakes get upset but tough.
That's the ultimate dilemma though isn't it- regretting not saying something when you wished you had, versus regretting saying something when you wished you hadn't.

Oh bugger it- Trev's a tw*t. There done it.

"Sticks and stones..." etc
I've never been bothered by 'name calling'.
The problem these days is there far too many people that are, and/or suffer from a severe case of NBPE.

Back