• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Spanish Navy ship sent out to draw up maps loses its way​

/they had a bad feeling about this

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/20...navy-ship-sent-to-draw-up-maps-loses-its-way/

A Spanish Navy ship tasked with updating nautical charts to make navigation safer, has itself gotten stranded near the island of Ibiza in the Mediterranean.

The vessel Malaspina was exploring an area of shallows to the west of the island and got stuck on one of them.
It is named after 18th-century Royal Navy Brigadier Alejandro Malaspina, famous for leading the largest scientific expedition around the globe at the time.

The name can also be translated into English as 'having a bad feeling'.

In the Blackadder episode 'Potato', just before going off to the Sea of Certain Death, Lord Melchett hands him a map and says,
"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you. It's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."
(The map is completely blank.)
"They'd be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

1682879853633.png

Such a false-flag op. on Moscow is only for Russian consumption. They can't convince anyone else.
The irony is that by claiming Ukraine can send a drone strike to Moscow, they have to tell the Russian people that their capital city has no air defence. In effect, they have to claim they're weak when their whole mind-set is convincing their people of their superiority.

Such a false-flag op. on Moscow is only for Russian consumption. They can't convince anyone else.
The irony is that by claiming Ukraine can send a drone strike to Moscow, they have to tell the Russian people that their capital city has no air defence. In effect, they have to claim they're weak when their whole mind-set is convincing their people of their superiority.
Farcical wasn't it and obviously a Red Flag false flag operation.
A tiny magician's powder flash that didn't even damage the Kremlin's flagpole and which was used by Putin as an excuse to launch an obviously long planned missile onslaught against Ukraine's civilian infrastructure.
The irony is enormous here; everything that Putin has done since February last year has served to strengthen Ukraine and NATO and destroy Russia's reputation on the international stage.

It might be constantly blathered about in the media - how Putin has lost his mind, he's so paranoid now, he's gone on full 'Stalin' etc. - but even giving this 'misson' the go-ahead certainly indicates desperation combined with absolutely no grip on reality.

Had to look up Veblen. Clever reference; I guess that's what a posh education can do for you, make you clever that way.

Had to look up Veblen. Clever reference; I guess that's what a posh education can do for you, make you clever that way.
Ditto.

I consider myself to have a decent knowledge of words – as a journalist and sub-editor I should have! – but had never come across the word Veblen, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And once again, this Forum has proved educational as well as entertaining. Now I just need the word to come up on Uni Challenge or Only Connect...!

A clearing in the Carson National Forest, about twenty-five miles south-west of Dulce, is marked with a small plaque reading:
SITE OF THE FIRST UNITED STATES UNDERGROUND NUCLEAR EXPERIMENT FOR THE STIMULATION OF LOW-PRODUCTIVITY GAS RESERVOIRS. A 29 KILOTON NUCLEAR EXPLOSIVE WAS DETONATED AT A DEPTH OF 4227 FEET BELOW THIS SURFACE LOCATION ON DECEMBER 10, 1967.
The detonation, part of the ‘Plowshare Program’ for the peaceful use of nuclear explosions, did succeed in part, creating an eighty-foot wide, 335-foot high, natural gas-filled cavity. Unfortunately the gas was rendered dangerously radioactive by the explosion and had no commercial value, so the site was sealed up for eternity.

Mirage Men A Journey into Disinformation, Paranoia and UFOs (Mark Pilkington)

The syndrome acquired the name Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease after Jakob incorrectly gave credit to a fellow German scientist, Hans Creutzfeldt, who Jakob felt had described a similar case a few years earlier. Creutzfeldt’s case turned out to be a different disease—and the pairing ended up being particularly unfortunate, since Jakob was Jewish and Creutzfeldt likely had ties to the Nazi regime—but the name stuck.

Robespierre’s impracticality is notorious. Danton’s jibe that Robespierre couldn’t boil an egg to save his life was harsh. But he certainly brought to his place within the CPS next to no managerial or practical skills.

Robespierre’s impracticality is notorious. Danton’s jibe that Robespierre couldn’t boil an egg to save his life was harsh. But he certainly brought to his place within the CPS next to no managerial or practical skills.

He did manage to separate Danton's head from his body though.

I sometimes say that all movements end up being defined by their loudest and least rational elements.

How Madness Shaped History: An Eccentric Array of Maniacal Rulers, Raving Narcissists, and Psychotic Visionaries
Christopher J. Ferguson

That can be applied to political systems, even social structures.
The loudest voices tend to be those who most care. Not necessarily the majority.
Complaints and bad reviews seem more prevalent than satisfaction. If you're satisfied with a product, you're not really inclined to post up a review.

That can be applied to political systems, even social structures.
The loudest voices tend to be those who most care. Not necessarily the majority.
Complaints and bad reviews seem more prevalent than satisfaction. If you're satisfied with a product, you're not really inclined to post up a review.

The author agrees literally with you in a later chapter:

In fairness, the loudest voices tend to get the most attention, and this can create a distorting effect, insofar as that we may assume that the vocal hysterics of a few tend to represent the many.17 This can have a pernicious effect on politics in some cases, such as when politicians feel pressured to cater to these loudest voices with more extreme policy recommendations.

No. As it says, it's the computer club at BTH (Blekinge Tekniska Högskola, a.k.a. Blekinge Institute of Technology). Fukt is apparently Swedish for moisture, damp, wet, or sweat. Their website explains the name:

Vad står "Fukt" för?
Det finns en del myter kring det här som folk tror på, men här är den kalla hårda sanningen:​
Från början så startades datorföreningen i Ronneby, man började leta efter lokaler till föreningen. En av lokalerna som vi hittade hade tidigare fungerat som akvarium, då hela huset kallades för akvariet. När det sedan var dags för namngivning på datorföreningen satte sig alla dåvarande medlemmar ner och gav förslag. Då kom bl.a. namnet "FUKT" upp på tavlan, med nån anknytning till akvarium.​
Namn sållades bort och till slut stod bara "FUKT" kvar på tavlan. Så det blev Fukt. Det skrivs med kapitäler av ingen anledning, ser bara bättre ut.​

I hope that clears it up.

Excipients are literally the stuff of placebos; they are the nonactive ingredients that allow manufacturers to compound a drug into a comestible pill with a reasonable shelf life. When Merck changed the excipients in the thyroid hormone replacement drug Levothyroxine from mannitol plus citric acid to lactose, it set off a virtual firestorm. Before releasing the new formulation, Merck had conducted a randomized bioequivalence study that found that the biological outcome measures were essentially identical and the new formulation was completely safe. Nonetheless, patients reported significant side effects; from hair loss, headaches, and weight gain, to diarrhea, extreme fatigue, and increased heart rates, the rash of side effects experienced by the tens of thousands of patients with hypothyroidism in France gave rise to more than sixty lawsuits accusing Merck and the French government of a “failure to assist a person in danger.”18

The MIT Press Essential Knowledge
Placebos
Kathryn T. Hall

I did insurance exams, including a basic course in economics, in the early 1980s. I distinctly remember the expression "Giffen goods" being used by the lecturer to refer to prestige items where demand increases with price. I have today discovered he was wrong.

Veblen goods (as per the picture above) are prestige items, status symbols, where higher price adds perceived value and thereby increases demand.

Giffen goods are something else: essentials such as bread, potatoes, rice, where demand remains high despite an increase in price.

Oh, the irony: just about the only thing I remembered from that course, turned out to be wrong.

Back