• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Originally posted by Ogopogo
...my last name is Danger.

Oddly enough, that's my middle name.

While we're discussing Jesus fish and Soccer Moms, what's the dealio with those metal nude women on mudflaps? Those are the epitome of (extremely) lower-class sexuality, IMO. A couple days ago, I saw a fellow with one of those as a pendant on his necklace, as if male necklaces weren't bad enough. Just put on an ascot and be done with it, Mr. Flynt--the women of the world await your lubricious advances.

Stu Neville said:
I know! And he can capitalise properly and everything! :D

My fave observation about irony was by Ed Byrne (Irish comedian) discussing Alannis Morrisette's song "Ironic", in which she describes various situations, which whilst uniformly unfortunate (traffic jams, flies in wine, etc) nonetheless all fail to be ironic. However, Byrne pointed out, it is quite brilliantly ironic that there's a song called "Ironic" written and performed by someone who clearly has no idea what irony actually is.

Stu

I think it was genius by Alanis to write a song about irony that contains no irony. O the irony of it all.
I often wonder the size of her cutlery drawer that contains ten thousand spoons. Just think, they might have been the larger wooden spoons- now think of the size of that cutlery drawer.

I realise rain on one's wedding day isn't truly ironic; however, how about filing for divorce on one's anniversary? Does this constitute irony? Someone please help here, as I am American and have an unevolved sense of humour. But I do think passing wind is hilarious. Sometimes, I just laugh until my ribs hurt! Oh, good times...good times.

Irony - hard, metallic; like silvery, but not so shiny.

I'll get me coat.

TorgosPizza said:
I realise rain on one's wedding day isn't truly ironic; however, how about filing for divorce on one's anniversary? Does this constitute irony? Someone please help here, as I am American and have an unevolved sense of humour. But I do think passing wind is hilarious. Sometimes, I just laugh until my ribs hurt! Oh, good times...good times.

I must admit that the sound of a loud inappropriate fart (when is a loud fart appropriate?) makes me laugh mucho mucho. I also laugh when I used to fart loudly in my little brothers face but ironicly he didnt laugh.

torgos, what about if the guy got a tattoo saying that hed never divorce his wife on their anniversary and yet does... is this ironic?
what are they divorcing for , did he fart in his wifes face? I wouldnt divorce my wife if she farted in my face, perhaps this would make me horny. :eek:

Alanis Morisette's Ironic song is always a favourite topic of conversation.
The conclusion we seem to have come to is that "rain on your wedding day" is possibly ironic if you (or your intended) are a meteorologist.

rynner said:
Irony - hard, metallic; like silvery, but not so shiny.

Thats illegal - no, thats an American bird with a big beak.

Thats irrelevent - no, thats a big grey animal with flapping ears and a trunk.

sorry, if you be so kind as to pass my coat...

Irony is swabbing with antiseptic before giving a lethal injection.

Irony is having 'Back To Basics' blow up in your Party's face because your MPs can't keep it in their trousers.

Irony is president, "G W Bush's",

brother ,Jeb Bush, running for re-election here in Fl. He's on a political commercial, taking about new guide-lines for teachers and schools..more attention to problem's with florida's lousey scolactic track record,,blah ..blah..blah..the guy's daughter can't keep out of jail..she was arrested yet again last week for parole violations..its been a long story with his oldest daughter ..and he's not done anything right it seems with," his situation",with his own family..

The IRONY Thread

Irony is, I feel, a sub-genre of Forteanism, so let's see if it can sustain a thread of its own. Here's a good starter:

Fire truck catches fire, burns down its own station in small Alabama town
A fire truck that had just returned from the scene of a blaze caught fire itself at its station, destroying the building and the vehicle.

The engine of the truck had been turned off, but some malfunction, possibly a gasoline leak, caused a fire under the hood, firefighter Brad Hannah said.

Ider, a town of about 670 people in the rural northeast corner of Alabama, has two other fire trucks. Assistant Fire Chief Ronnie Cloud said Wednesday. Those trucks were out on calls during the fire.
:D

How about this for irony. The mad merger's irony thread is in danger of being merged into the sarcasm thread, that was inspired by said irony thread, because no-one's posting on it.

Cujo
;)

Thanks for bumping my thread, Cooj! :)

(Now, was I being ironic or sarcastic there..? :confused: )

Perhaps good IRONY stories only come along every few days. If that's beyond the attention span of the average poster, then this thread will be forgotten, and its sad little carcass will sink down through the depths of the FTMB to settle amongst all the slimy silt at the bottom... :(

My personal favourite irony was highlighted by Ed Byrne. Alannis Morrissette (sp?) wrote a song about irony, citing examples of alleged irony, such as rain on wedding days, flies in glases of wine, traffic jams, lots of spoons when you need a knife, etc etc, none of which are actually ironic: they're all merely unfortunate. So there's a song, called "Ironic", written by someone who clearly has no idea whatsoever what irony is, which is somewhat ironic.

Maybe the lack of examples of irony in the song is the intended irony...? :confused:

I find the best way to get creases out of a cotton shirt that's been in the drier too long is to give it a spray with tepid water and leave it for a few seconds
The shirt only needs to be damp - not wet - for best results

[edit]Sorry, I thought this was the ironing thread[/edit]

Well my name's not Rony, and I noticed no one else who posted is so named ... so why are you all posting on the I Rony thread ... ?

whizzer said:
I find the best way to get creases out of a cotton shirt that's been in the drier too long is to give it a spray with tepid water and leave it for a few seconds
The shirt only needs to be damp - not wet - for best results

could you do my irony then?

Arrive Alive speed trap campaign in Wales nabs 12 police officers
Police in north Wales set up a trap to catch speeding motorists - and netted 12 of their own officers.

North Wales Police said Wednesday that the speed cameras of their Arrive Alive Campaign recorded 102 police vehicles breaking the speed limit over the last year.

Most of the officers were responding to emergencies, but in 12 cases the drivers had no excuse for speeding and were fined the standard 60 pounds or about 5 Cdn.

The speeding officers were a tiny fraction of the nearly 50,000 people caught by cameras in the district last year - but nonetheless embarrassing for Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom, who has described speeders as "anti-social" and "criminals."

Beth Mitcheson, spokeswoman for the Arrive Alive Campaign, said the figures should reassure the public that the cameras don't discriminate between police and civilian vehicles.
(I couldn't let my lovely thread fade away! :D )

Ironically, there was already another thread on Irony - now all merged!

Do as I Rule, Not as I Do...

Sunday, September 28, 2003

Denver

Judge who blocked national do-not-call registry is on list

The office phone number of a federal judge who ruled last week that a national do-not-call registry is unconstitutional was among the thousands already on the list.

U.S. District Judge Edward Nottingham's number was added in July to the registry, which was designed to block telemarketers' calls.

It wasn't clear whether Nottingham himself registered the number or knew it had been registered. A call to the office Saturday was not immediately returned.

Nottingham on Thursday stopped the Federal Trade Commission from implementing the registry, ruling it was an unconstitutional infringement on free speech.

The FTC Web site was set up to allow anyone to register their number, remove it or verify whether a number was registered. An automated response from the site verified that Nottingham's number was registered on July 28.

The Boston Globe reported the listing in its Saturday editions and said Nottingham did not return its messages seeking comment Friday.

Copyright © 2003 The Lawrence Journal-World. All rights reserved.

Thou shalt not steal...

Bank-robbing minister pleads guilty
BOSTON (Reuters) - A U.S. pentecostal minister has pleaded guilty to robbing banks from Maine to Massachusetts of more than ,000 (6,300 pounds), law enforcement officials said.

Jerry Hayes, 52, of Hartford, Maine, was arrested in May after he gave a Massachusetts bank teller a note saying he was armed and demanded that all large bills be placed into a bag.

The note added: "Do not put any device into bag: paint, track, etc. If I sense an alarm is set: Someone will be hostage."

The teller gave the minister ,550 in cash and a dye pack that exploded as he fled the robbery. Police later arrested him and found a loaded .38 calibre handgun on the floor of his car.

A subsequent investigation showed he had robbed four other banks in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and that he was laundering the proceeds through an account in the name of the church where he was pastor, the Shema First Apostolic Assembly in Canton, Maine, federal prosecutors said.

Hayes faces up to 20 years in prison and a 0,000 fine on each of the five bank robberies, to which he pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Reginald C. Lindsay. He is due to be sentenced in January.

Vasectomy delays Tube commuters
Tube bosses have launched an investigation after a vasectomy delayed thousands of passengers.

A trainee driver fainted as two colleagues discussed the particularly grisly details of the operation one of them had undergone.

The trainee was taken to hospital and treated for head and chest injuries after falling from the cab.

At the time, London Underground blamed the delays on a defective train, according to the Evening Standard.

The trainee, just one week into his practical instruction, is thought to have been sick after his instructor and a driver, both older men, ignored his request for a less intimate topic of conversation, the newspaper said.

The train was travelling at about 15 mph (24 km/h), having just left Aldgate.

The Hammersmith and City and Circle lines were brought to a standstill, the Standard said.
Dodgy business, getting your tubes cut...

LOL
I hadn't thought of it that way until you said.

But it would have been funnier if he'd flaked out after overhearing two Forteans discussing the stories on the disgusting thread...

Must say I sympathise with the trainee. I have tried to get people to stop talking about similar things (an angiogram for one) as it was disturbing, only to have them go into more detail.

Problem is, he's the one who's going to get a reputation, and cop a fair bit of teasing over the incident. (Not to mention the injuries etc.)

Back