• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oklahoma Federal Building Bombing

Oklahoma plotter tells of 'third man'

greets

Oklahoma plotter tells of 'third man'

Julian Borger in Washington
Thursday May 5, 2005
The Guardian

Congress may reopen the investigation into the Oklahoma City bombing after allegations by one of the two convicted plotters about the involvement of a third man.

Timothy McVeigh was executed in 2001 for killing 168 when he detonated a lorry-load of explosives outside a government building, reportedly out of hatred for the US federal authorities.

Another disgruntled army veteran, Terry Nichols, is serving a life sentence in Colorado for helping him carry out the attack in 1995.

But rumours of a broader conspiracy have continued to circulate around the US' second most lethal terrorist attack, despite the FBI's conclusion that only McVeigh and Nichols were involved.

After 10 years of silence, Nichols claims to have undergone a religious enlightenment and has told a woman he befriended, Kathy Sanders, who lost two grandchildren in the bombing, that he could tell her details about the plot that were being suppressed by the government.

In a letter from prison, published in the Los Angeles Times, he claimed that Roger Moore, an Arkansas gun collector, had given McVeigh sophisticated chemical explosives and supplied other bomb components found recently in Nichols' old home in Kansas.

Mr Moore did not respond to the report yesterday and his whereabouts are unknown.

Ms Sanders, whose grandsons were at a nursery in the targeted building, told the Guardian she had asked to visit Nichols in his high-security prison to talk about the allegations in the letters he had sent her.

"I hope to go see him," said Ms Sanders, who has written a book about her efforts to investigate the attack.

"I just haven't got the prison to approve it, even though I met all the criteria. They said I was a security risk, although I don't know why I'd be a security risk, unless it was the speeding ticket I got about 20 years ago."

A California congressman, Dana Rohrabacher, who is contemplating whether to launch a new public inquiry into the case, has said he also wants to talk to Nichols. Yesterday a spokeswoman for Mr Rohrabacher said: "He is waiting on a request to meet Terry Nichols and talk to him, and then will make a decision based on that."

The congressman recently declared in the House of Representatives: "That this mass murder of Americans was accomplished by two disgruntled veterans acting alone seems to be the conclusion reached by those in authority. However, there are some unsettling loose ends and unanswered questions."

On April 18, the day before the 10th anniversary of the bombing, Nichols wrote to Ms Sanders claiming that the government knew other people had been involved. He said he wanted to "to help expose the government cover-up in my case and thus reveal the truth in the OKC bombing".

He claimed that Mr Moore had given McVeigh binary explosives. The gun collector, who knew McVeigh and sometimes allowed him to stay at his Arkansas home, has previously denied all involvement in the conspiracy, and was never charged. He claimed that he had been robbed of guns worth $60,000 by a masked man before the bombing. McVeigh sold the weapons to help fund the attack.

In his letter, Nichols hinted that other plotters were also involved in the bombing on April 19 1995 of the Alfred P Murrah federal building, whose victims included 19 children among the dead, and 500 other people injured.

"There's much more I would like to say," Nichols wrote. "Please pray that the truth finally comes out."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1476664,00.html

mal

And news of an accomplice.

Oklahoma City bombing: Claims of second accomplice and FBI intimidation

The FBI has been ordered to investigate allegations that claim the agency intimidated a witness and compelled him not to testify at a recent trial over evidence related to the Oklahoma City bombing.

According to theSalt Lake Tribune, US District Judge Clark Waddoups scheduled a November 13th hearing on the matter, in which Utah attorney Jesse Trentadue accused the FBI of threatening to eliminate a former undercover agent’s health benefits if he took the stand. The former agent reportedly knew convicted bomber Timothy McVeigh.

Timothy McVeigh (Reuters)Timothy McVeigh (Reuters)

The core of the issue is that Trentadue claims the FBI has surveillance video revealing McVeigh carrying out the Oklahoma City bombing with an accomplice. The FBI adamantly denies that such video exists, and the government has insisted repeatedly that McVeigh acted alone in the event that killed 168 people.

The witness involved in this whole situation, John Matthews, was scheduled to testify regarding this alleged video in July, but withdrew at the last minute. Trentadue – as well as a freelance journalist named Roger Charles – stated that when he spoke with Matthews about his absence, the former agent told them the FBI threatened him.

“He was told he should take a vacation and that if he did testify he should suffer from a case of the ‘I don’t remembers,'” Trentadue told the judge back in July, as quoted by local Fox 13 News. ...

http://rt.com/usa/182760-oklahoma-city- ... imidation/

Two podcasts related to this: Have not listened to them yet:

Twenty-five years on from the largest domestic terror incident in American history, journalist Leah Sottile investigates the legacy of the Oklahoma City Bombing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mqp1/episodes/downloads

And this seems to be related too: Scroll down for the episodes:

“Bundyville: The Remnant” explores the world beyond the Bundy family and the armed uprisings they inspired. The series scrutinizes extremist violence that has made headlines in recent years, and how those events share ideas with the anti-government movement. The series also investigates who is inspiring that violence and who stands to benefit.

The most loyal supporters of the Bundys’ ideology live their lives amid conspiracy theories and paranoia. In this second season of “Bundyville,” Sottile asks what happens to the anti-government movement when the Bundys aren’t setting the agenda, and how the increasingly mainstream conspiracy theories of that movement are pushing people already on the fringe toward violence.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/bundyville-occupation-podcast/

Back