• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Old Dreams

I used to dream a lot about standing on a beach (usually holding a treasured pet) and watching a huge wave approaching - the panic and trying to get to high ground, plus keeping hold of the pet in question which always escaped...

then I found myself single and in total charge of myself and my destiny. I don't have those dreams any more. It does make me wonder why I never dreamed of trying to keep my children safe, it was always an animal. However, it has made me subscribe to the 'huge wave in danger of sweeping you away representing a feeling of powerlessness in real life' theory.

I suppose lack of control and emotions are very linked though, so it could be both.
Catseye- this is very interesting and something of a relief. I often have dreams of impending catastrophe and I usually have to save the dog or some other creature. Rarely do any of my children feature as being at risk.

I have always felt a bit guilty about this, I do love my kids more than the dog- most of the time

This is possibly the saddest, most wonderful, heartbreakingly unfair and joyfully amazing post I have read here. Whether it was just your rmind or a true glimpse of something else, it has affected me deeply.

I am being deadly serious when I say it makes me long to find religion. I have feared for years that I am missing a spiritual fulfillment in my life - be it organised or self-governed. What a strange mindset your post has created for me. Wonderful. Thank you.

Ah thank you. The dream came as a total shock(I suppose), mainly because the images from a couple of decades ago were still so strong in my mind and had not recurred for many years and the fact that back then I couldn't put 2 and 2 together and make 4, when it should have been entirely obvious. Having said that I don't attach anything esoteric about the dreams - I put it down to my mind trying to give my sleeping brain some peace perhaps (although a forlorn hope! )
Your point about religion interests me as well as I age, I also feel as though something has been missing, but not sure what.

Same here - particularly years ago during my intensive lucid dreaming (experimentation) phase.

I've sometimes 'frozen' a current dream and proactively edited / modified scenes and characters to coordinate the current dream with some earlier dream motif or narrative for which the current one seems to be a latest installment (as opposed to an independent production).

This is interesting to me as I sometimes have "movie dreams" where I see everything from an omniscient point of view (like a movie-goer) until I decide to act, usually to save the people in question.

Taken out of context:
"No, don't open the basement door, the monsters will get in from there. If you barricade that door, you can fight off the other monsters coming in through the windows."

And:

"No, look, the people next door will take the giant snake willingly. You don't need it to take you, you just need to alert the people next door to you and they'll freely take it off your hands. It will eat them, but they want to be eaten by it."

Edit: No, I'm not kidding. These were two particular dreams I had over and over again until I decided to step in to "help".

At my previous home I often dreamt that I had found extra rooms but they were all much the same and slightly shabby. As soon as I moved to the present Nowell Towers the dream stopped.

A recurring dream, of some years, is that I am bounding down a road. I am ahead of everybody by propelling myself with two unlikely objects (such as poles, deckchairs, boards). I realise that I look odd in so doing but the pace makes up for that.

At my previous home I often dreamt that I had found extra rooms but they were all much the same and slightly shabby. As soon as I moved to the present Nowell Towers the dream stopped.

A recurring dream, of some years, is that I am bounding down a road. I am ahead of everybody by propelling myself with two unlikely objects (such as poles, deckchairs, boards). I realise that I look odd in so doing but the pace makes up for that.

Interesting, as I have experienced something similar. When I was very little I lived in a house with stairs. I would quite often have dream where I was walking up the stairs but I couldn't step from the last stair onto the landing - it was as if some invisible force prevented me from doing so. I would dream this over and over, always the same.

A few years later we moved house to a bungalow. The very first night there, I had the dream again - but this time I was able to get onto the landing. Then I never had the dream ever again.

No idea what it was all about.

I suppose in my case it was that I'd been there too long and the place was never going to be any better.

In your case SZ, maybe your progression to the landing was symbolic of growing up. Moving being a milestone.

I kept a dream diary for a while around 12 years ago which i recently found, and in most cases can recall the dream (not all though); some were clearly nonsense dreams sorting through the details of the day, some were terrifying & clearly related to traumatic experiences & anxieties caused, some featured crushes & (useless) boyfriends or dates i went on (some of which i can't even remember!) and a couple were....other.....one in particular stuck with me, the message seemed very important but i haven't quite figured out how

On Saturday night i had a strange dream (i'll keep it short as i know listening to other peoples dreams can be a bit much sometimes as the symbolism is so individual), but i had been out to a bar in real life that night & had a few drinks and a dance with some friends before going home, where i had some takeaway my boyfriend had saved me, chatted to him for a bit and then went to bed.

I dreamed that i was walking up the road from the club where i'd been that night and i was thinking in my head about an ex boyfriend i was totally in love with about 10 years ago (he was a nasty piece of work but i was hopelessly in love with him). In the dream, it was as though my consciousness split into two layers - the emotional part of me, which i suppose felt more like the essence of me in a way i can't quite put into words said 'where is he? I'm getting inpatient now, i can't stand it feeling this way, how can i go on without him?' and then another layer of me, more logical (my brain i suppose) said 'stop romanticising and idealising someone who hurt you so much, get over it he's gone, you broke up years ago' sort of thing. But my 'essence' if you will was adamant that it was him, everything was him and that we were meant to be (for want of a better expression, that's the feeling i was getting)

I woke up confused and genuinely unsure as to whether i had really had that thought conversation whilst walking the previous evening as it felt so so real, until i realised that i had been walking with my friend and we chatted the whole way up the road home.

I had had a couple of cocktails on the saturday night (danced them off to RnB hip hop classics) but not a huge amount and i wasnt hungover or anything, nothing i'm not used to, but the dream was so vivid - the essence of me was troubled and very upset at this man's absence from my life and adamant that it shouldn't be that way. I'm sure in real life he barely remembers i exist!

The dream had a strange feel to it, something i file under 'other'

Only once have I had a dream where I'd got the winning Lottery jackpot ticket. I told myself that I'd better memorise the numbers in case it was all a dream and that was what I was desperately trying to do as I woke up. In the cold light of morning I realised with disappointment that the randomised winning sequence was actually 1 2 3 4 5 6 - I also knew what had triggered the dream. A couple of days before, I'd read an article where Camelot revealed that there were 10,000 people using 1 2 3 4 5 6 as their weekly lucky numbers. Presumably these punters thought the sequence was 'quirky', easy to remember and had the same chance of winning as any other sequence. Obviously they hadn't considered that if their numbers came up they would be sharing the jackpot with 9,999 other winners.
The irony was that 3 of the numbers came up that week, so if I'd used the sequence (which I didn't) I would have won £10.00 - and I wouldn't have had to share it.

I've never dreamt about a lottery win but once when the children were small I had a dream about the price of gold.
In it was a jingle singing about the price it was going to reach
However we didn't have any spare money to buy gold so it didn't do any good.

Does anyone think it's possible to communicate with others in dreams or receive guidance/messages? I had a very vivid dream once years ago where someone approached me (didn't know them) and said 'someone is attached to you, who is it?' and without hesitation i said 'it's him, it's (name)' who is the same ex who i mentioned in my post above about last week's dream. The person was asking the question but i got the impression they already knew the answer....

Only once have I had a dream where I'd got the winning Lottery jackpot ticket. I told myself that I'd better memorise the numbers in case it was all a dream and that was what I was desperately trying to do as I woke up. In the cold light of morning I realised with disappointment that the randomised winning sequence was actually 1 2 3 4 5 6 - I also knew what had triggered the dream. A couple of days before, I'd read an article where Camelot revealed that there were 10,000 people using 1 2 3 4 5 6 as their weekly lucky numbers. Presumably these punters thought the sequence was 'quirky', easy to remember and had the same chance of winning as any other sequence. Obviously they hadn't considered that if their numbers came up they would be sharing the jackpot with 9,999 other winners.
The irony was that 3 of the numbers came up that week, so if I'd used the sequence (which I didn't) I would have won £10.00 - and I wouldn't have had to share it.
My brother has only ever bought lottery tickets once in his life. No idea why, but he bought two tickets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and won £20. He never did it again.

In a similar way in my betting career at bookmakers I'm also ahead - though it consists of only about six or so bets (all of a fiver) in 12 years, so I'm not exactly going to retire on it: the wins were Italy in the 2006 World Cup (9/1, with another fiver on Argentina), Bradley Wiggins' first Tour de France win, Chris Froome's first Tour de France win. Losses include Italy at the 2008 Euros and an each-way bet on Richie Porte in one of his Tours de France (he looked good for two weeks and then went backwards one day - never bet on Porte in the TdF!)

Last edited:
I spoke too soon about my dreams of huge waves being over. Last night I had two, back to back dreams of being threatened by huge waves. In one of them I actually locked myself in a cellar (?!) to avoid being swept away, and listened to the building above me being demolished by the weight of water.

Perhaps whatever used to worry me, is back?

I spoke too soon about my dreams of huge waves being over. Last night I had two, back to back dreams of being threatened by huge waves. In one of them I actually locked myself in a cellar (?!) to avoid being swept away, and listened to the building above me being demolished by the weight of water.

Perhaps whatever used to worry me, is back?
I hope not! There was one of those worlds wildest weather programmes on channel 4 last night which featured the massive waves off the Portuguese coast - don't suppose you watched that? Dreams of massive waves can be very unsettling, have had them myself

Last night someone was going to meet someone with the surname Murray but I can't remember who it was.

I hope not! There was one of those worlds wildest weather programmes on channel 4 last night which featured the massive waves off the Portuguese coast - don't suppose you watched that? Dreams of massive waves can be very unsettling, have had them myself
No, didn't even know that programme was on! It might, of course, be the 'out of control' feeling that the approach of Christmas always engenders. Will have to see what following nights bring!

I had my first memorable lucid dream aged 8-9, I sort of knew I was dreaming and could control it if I didn't push it too hard. So I ran down the garden and took off, flying head-first a few feet off the ground and then gained altitude. Skimming the roof tops in low sweeps and looking down on my chums seemed very authenic (gutters needed cleaning) - then I got vertigo and a little nauseous. I'd forgotten I had no head-for-heights but clearly my body hadn't. Woke up a bit miffed - it was my dream, who brought Physics into it !

I had my first memorable lucid dream aged 8-9, I sort of knew I was dreaming and could control it if I didn't push it too hard. So I ran down the garden and took off, flying head-first a few feet off the ground and then gained altitude. Skimming the roof tops in low sweeps and looking down on my chums seemed very authenic (gutters needed cleaning) - then I got vertigo and a little nauseous. I'd forgotten I had no head-for-heights but clearly my body hadn't. Woke up a bit miffed - it was my dream, who brought Physics into it !
I used to dream the same thing when I was the same age of 8-9 Bad Bungle .. lucid dreams of being able to fly (or more accurately, float) but I didn't have to that running launch thing .. I just remember them feeling very relaxing.

I used to dream the same thing when I was the same age of 8-9 Bad Bungle .. lucid dreams of being able to fly (or more accurately, float) but I didn't have to that running launch thing .. I just remember them feeling very relaxing.

It was my first attempt at flying (or rather pushing the envelope of dream manipulation) and I wasn't one of those idiots who think they can defy gravity and launch themselves out of a window or off a roof instead of from the ground. And yes flying was both exhilarating and relaxing - until I was reminded I had no head-for-heights.

It was my first attempt at flying (or rather pushing the envelope of dream manipulation) and I wasn't one of those idiots who think they can defy gravity and launch themselves out of a window or off a roof instead of from the ground. And yes flying was both exhilarating and relaxing - until I was reminded I had no head-for-heights.
I used to dream that I was floating at Featherstone Road in Sutton Coldfield when I was a little kid .. I think now it was that time when your body goes cold so you have that dropping sensation, my Mum told me a few years later that they'd bought the house after an old woman had died in and, yes, my bedroom had been her bedroom .. I used to dream of an old woman/witch although I think that part was down to me watching The Wizard Of Oz, a Tommy Steel TV Christmas special and Disney's Pete's Dragon so I was impressionable .. I also think that helped me later get into The Evil Dead film.

I used to dream that I was floating at Featherstone Road in Sutton Coldfield when I was a little kid .. I think now it was that time when your body goes cold so you have that dropping sensation, my Mum told me a few years later that they'd bought the house after an old woman had died in and, yes, my bedroom had been her bedroom .. I used to dream of an old woman/witch although I think that part was down to me watching The Wizard Of Oz, a Tommy Steel TV Christmas special and Disney's Pete's Dragon so I was impressionable .. I also think that helped me later get into The Evil Dead film.

A long time ago now but the flying seemed so real, the perspective in looking down on my chum, the nausea in my tummy and why would a 8-9 year old kid even think about the state of the gutters ? The dropping sensation is a topic all by itself, but I'm comforted it happens to other people as well.

Not sure that Pete's Dragon would have prepared me for the Evil Dead.

A long time ago now but the flying seemed so real, the perspective in looking down on my chum, the nausea in my tummy and why would a 8-9 year old kid even think about the state of the gutters ? The dropping sensation is a topic all by itself, but I'm comforted it happens to other people as well.

Not sure that Pete's Dragon would have prepared me for the Evil Dead.
The dropping sensation is well known in the medical world, nothing Fortean about it, it's your body cooling down faster than sleep happening although I haven't got any links to that sorry ..

The floating thing used to be called astral projection as I expect you already know .. my dad told me a strange story about when he was on a plane, nodding off, missing my mum so he said he suddenly woke up somehow except he was outside of the plane and looking down on himself, he could see himself asleep in the chair through the roof of the plane and when he realised that was very odd, he quickly woke up again and back in his seat.

He formed a car products company called Astrali, he told me he chose that specific name because Italian stuff was fashionable at the time what with Ferrari, A is the first letter in the alphabet so his company would be contacted most frequently via the telephone directory and also because of his astral projection experience .. Astrali has been closed for over 20 years now ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RC2.A0.H0.Xastrali.TRS0&_nkw=astrali&_sacat=0

https://www.businessmagnet.co.uk/company/astraliaccessoriesmidlandsltd-50272.htm

Last edited:
I remember a dream (not actually that long ago) which I think was triggered by Valentine's Day (the memory, not the dream).

I was walking through a Marshalling Yard that resembled a vast Aircraft Hangar with people moving crates and supplies around - in fact they were wearing jackets and fatigues similar to WWII flight crews. I didn't know anyone but gratifyingly several knew me, giving a cheer or a wave like old comrades. I got the impression this wasn't the After-Life but the Between-Lives, the place you went to be de-briefed and re-kitted for the next 'Mission'. Memories of my previous life were slowly being replaced by my 'true' memories, but before I could get my bearings, a young crewman nudges me in the ribs. "She coming, you know - the One." Seeing my bafflement he went on " the One for you, your one true Love - she'll be passing in about 20 minutes". He explained that I hadn't met her in my previous (present) life and wouldn't in the next, but eventually we would be together.
I've never had a Partner in the Waking world, no-one's been interested - I wasn't aware I even had a 'type' of woman I was attracted to so naturally I was curious as to what 'the One' would be like. After a bit of self conscious lingering, a small group approached - whatever I was expecting, it wasn't that. She was petite, almost wan, with a Welsh name that began with a 'C' (couldn't pronounce it let alone spell it) destined to be a Celtic Princess of legendary fame on the next Mission; (re-incarnation didn't need to be in chronological order, you went where and when the Mission required). Her protective guards dispersed and we shyly said hello to each other. I'm not good at small talk but after less than a minute of chatting there was a tightness in my chest and a weight pulling me down as I fell totally and completely in love. Woke up, couldn't remember her name or really what she looked like but she was definitely the One.

Speaking of dreams about waves - a few years ago, (it was 2015, I think) I dreamed that Dale, the manager over at the corner shop, was walking along the beach when he was swept away by a giant wave. Next time I went into the shop, Dale said he was nervous because he'd had a dream he was walking along the beach when he was swept away by a giant wave.

The funny thing was, for Dale, this was a nightmare, but for me, it seemed like a good dream regarding his future (and no, I have no ill will toward him!)

I remember a dream (not actually that long ago) which I think was triggered by Valentine's Day (the memory, not the dream).

I was walking through a Marshalling Yard that resembled a vast Aircraft Hangar with people moving crates and supplies around - in fact they were wearing jackets and fatigues similar to WWII flight crews. I didn't know anyone but gratifyingly several knew me, giving a cheer or a wave like old comrades. I got the impression this wasn't the After-Life but the Between-Lives, the place you went to be de-briefed and re-kitted for the next 'Mission'. Memories of my previous life were slowly being replaced by my 'true' memories, but before I could get my bearings, a young crewman nudges me in the ribs. "She coming, you know - the One." Seeing my bafflement he went on " the One for you, your one true Love - she'll be passing in about 20 minutes". He explained that I hadn't met her in my previous (present) life and wouldn't in the next, but eventually we would be together.
I've never had a Partner in the Waking world, no-one's been interested - I wasn't aware I even had a 'type' of woman I was attracted to so naturally I was curious as to what 'the One' would be like. After a bit of self conscious lingering, a small group approached - whatever I was expecting, it wasn't that. She was petite, almost wan, with a Welsh name that began with a 'C' (couldn't pronounce it let alone spell it) destined to be a Celtic Princess of legendary fame on the next Mission; (re-incarnation didn't need to be in chronological order, you went where and when the Mission required). Her protective guards dispersed and we shyly said hello to each other. I'm not good at small talk but after less than a minute of chatting there was a tightness in my chest and a weight pulling me down as I fell totally and completely in love. Woke up, couldn't remember her name or really what she looked like but she was definitely the One.

Reminds me a little of the vast hanger where David Niven finds himself after baling out without a parachute at the start of A Matter Of Life & Death then finds there's been an administrative error.

He eventually finds his One as well.

Reminds me a little of the vast hanger where David Niven finds himself after baling out without a parachute at the start of A Matter Of Life & Death then finds there's been an administrative error.

He eventually finds his One as well.

Mmm yes, although I only remember a little of the film - maybe also a bit of Kiefer Sutherland in Dark City injecting new memories and personalities into people to see how scenarios would play out.

I wonder if people who suffer from not letting bad memories go process dreams differently due to neurochemistry. Instead of resolving issues the brain takes a different route. It doesn't resolve the issue as a result but ends in a replay route endlessly.

I wonder if people who suffer from not letting bad memories go process dreams differently due to neurochemistry. Instead of resolving issues the brain takes a different route. It doesn't resolve the issue as a result but ends in a replay route endlessly.

I'd say people who can't let bad memories go will almost certainly re-encounter them (or their metaphorical reflections) in dreams, mainly because dreaming is heavily intertwined with (if not wholly subordinated to ... ) memory processes during sleep.

It's not clear to me why any such reoccurrence or persistence would necessarily trace back to neurochemistry.

Back