• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Old Dreams

I think what I was trying to say, in a not too coherent way, is that the way the synapses form routes in the brain to process information, perhaps the way it is processed in some people takes it to a different part of the brain.

If recall correctly, research indicates that in most people, when something is experienced, the information is relayed from the eyes to the amygdala. In some people, it takes a minutely faster route, but through to the hypothalamus, which can produce a different reaction in the person.

I'd say people who can't let bad memories go will almost certainly re-encounter them (or their metaphorical reflections) in dreams, mainly because dreaming is heavily intertwined with (if not wholly subordinated to ... ) memory processes during sleep.

I'm not sure how that is, my hellish experiences never crop up in my dreams, though they will pop into my head in my waking life if I'm not careful. Mostly my dreams are either utter nonsense or me wandering about lost somewhere, sometimes with people I recognise appearing, sometimes not. There are also times when if something has made an impression on me before I go to bed, it will be running around my dreams, but it has to be experienced pretty close to the point when I nod off.

Back