• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Old Lady Ghost Still Shopping For Her Dinner?

Quick update. I have now spoken to three people that work the evening shift (till midnight. Store shuts at ten)
Two knew nothing about it.
The third person told me exactly the same things as I was told before. Exactly the same story with the same events. I asked him how he knew about it and it turned out he was told by the person who told me all about it. I also asked him if he’d ever experienced anything strange and he said no.
That means that so far I’ve only heard from one person about the supposed spooky happenings, and two other people that were just repeating what they had been told by him.
I still have to speak to someone who has actually experienced anything. I’ve been given one name but have yet to see that person at work.
Getting access to the cctv is a big no. Company rules. Only certain people are permitted access unless there is a suitable reason. “Possible ghost investigation” is not a suitable reason.
Still trying to find a newspaper article about the death that happened in the store car park. I know it happened because I remember it, but strangely I can’t find any mention of it. I live in a rural area so you’d think something like that would have made local news.
I don’t think there will be any updates to this for at least a week as I’m on annual leave

Nice stuff - really refreshing to read about someone sensibly following things up.

Well it’s been a while to say the least since I posted in this thread so I thought I’d give an update.
So I’m still working at the store, but after the counters were closed down completely I was offered a different position and now work…

twilight shifts!

I personally have not experienced anything remarkable but it turns out all of the twilight staff I work with know about “the ghost” even if some think it’s a load of old rubbish, and a few have experienced spooky goings on first hand.
One area that seems to be a particular hotbed of activity is the warehouse area. Two separate people have independently told me they walked into that area and saw a figure at the end of the room who promptly vanished. Both said it was a tall male (not an elderly lady as I’d previously heard about)
Sometimes, and this is reported regularly, the door to this area will open as someone is walking towards it, as if someone is opening it for people to walk through. Another person said he was loading cages out in that area and kept hearing what sounded like someone whispering. He put up with it for a while before he got really spooked and refused to go back there on his own.

We all finish at midnight and as there is no one on in the building until the morning shift turns up at 5pm, someone (usually a shift leader) has to go around and do a final check that all doors are locked up, including the warehouse doors. They all refuse to do this on their own and take someone else with them.
About three weeks ago we were all leaving the building when the shift leader suddenly looked to the other end of the store and said “who is that?” They went off to investigate who was lagging behind, but no one was at that end of the building. They said that they had seen someone dart around the end of the last aisle and genuinely thought that someone was on the shop floor still and was going to get locked in! It’s a large store with long aisles. There would have been no time for someone to hide and nowhere for them to hide anyway.
Stock regularly “jumps” off the shelves onto the floor in the night, in almost the same spot every time. This happens probably every week. This could be just down to things falling off but with the way we “face up” shelves to make products secure it shouldn’t happen, and from my quick inspection the shelving seems perfectly level in that area. I’m not sure how accurate the spirit (ha!) level app on the iPhone is but I used that.
It has even triggered security alarms and the key holder on call has had to go to check on the empty store to find stock on the floor in the middle of the aisle. I have asked if anyone has ever checked the CCTV and got some vague reply of “that area isn’t covered”. I can’t confirm this as I am not authorised to see the footage even when the store is empty and no one would be in the recording.

There has been other minor things happen as well but I think this post is long enough for now. I’ll keep on listening out for other odd stuff and post updates if I hear about anything.

Well it’s been a while to say the least since I posted in this thread so I thought I’d give an update.
So I’m still working at the store, but after the counters were closed down completely I was offered a different position and now work…

twilight shifts!

I personally have not experienced anything remarkable but it turns out all of the twilight staff I work with know about “the ghost” even if some think it’s a load of old rubbish, and a few have experienced spooky goings on first hand.
One area that seems to be a particular hotbed of activity is the warehouse area. Two separate people have independently told me they walked into that area and saw a figure at the end of the room who promptly vanished. Both said it was a tall male (not an elderly lady as I’d previously heard about)
Sometimes, and this is reported regularly, the door to this area will open as someone is walking towards it, as if someone is opening it for people to walk through. Another person said he was loading cages out in that area and kept hearing what sounded like someone whispering. He put up with it for a while before he got really spooked and refused to go back there on his own.

We all finish at midnight and as there is no one on in the building until the morning shift turns up at 5pm, someone (usually a shift leader) has to go around and do a final check that all doors are locked up, including the warehouse doors. They all refuse to do this on their own and take someone else with them.
About three weeks ago we were all leaving the building when the shift leader suddenly looked to the other end of the store and said “who is that?” They went off to investigate who was lagging behind, but no one was at that end of the building. They said that they had seen someone dart around the end of the last aisle and genuinely thought that someone was on the shop floor still and was going to get locked in! It’s a large store with long aisles. There would have been no time for someone to hide and nowhere for them to hide anyway.
Stock regularly “jumps” off the shelves onto the floor in the night, in almost the same spot every time. This happens probably every week. This could be just down to things falling off but with the way we “face up” shelves to make products secure it shouldn’t happen, and from my quick inspection the shelving seems perfectly level in that area. I’m not sure how accurate the spirit (ha!) level app on the iPhone is but I used that.
It has even triggered security alarms and the key holder on call has had to go to check on the empty store to find stock on the floor in the middle of the aisle. I have asked if anyone has ever checked the CCTV and got some vague reply of “that area isn’t covered”. I can’t confirm this as I am not authorised to see the footage even when the store is empty and no one would be in the recording.

There has been other minor things happen as well but I think this post is long enough for now. I’ll keep on listening out for other odd stuff and post updates if I hear about anything.
Could you have mice, rats or even a cat living in the warehouse?

Ours is new build, but the accoustics are shocking and the rattle of the wheels of the stock cages can cause all kinds of weird sound effects elsewhere in the building (we've got a metal roof, and don't get me started on how everything has to come to a halt when we get heavy rain or a hailstorm because of the noise).

Could you have mice, rats or even a cat living in the warehouse?

Ours is new build, but the accoustics are shocking and the rattle of the wheels of the stock cages can cause all kinds of weird sound effects elsewhere in the building (we've got a metal roof, and don't get me started on how everything has to come to a halt when we get heavy rain or a hailstorm because of the noise).
Possible but being a supermarket and storing food products they are hot on pest control. Definitely no cats hiding away. The warehouse area is not all that large for the size of the store so a cat would absolutely be noticed.

Metal roof for the whole of the shop here too. It’s like working in a large shed! In fact the staff call the back loading area the cow shed.

I think some of it is down to people hearing the stories and getting spooked by things that have perfectly normal causes. Power of suggestion and all that. But when I hear that strange stuff seems to be happening I’m always interested :D

Possible but being a supermarket and storing food products they are hot on pest control. Definitely no cats hiding away. The warehouse area is not all that large for the size of the store so a cat would absolutely be noticed.

Metal roof for the whole of the shop here too. It’s like working in a large shed! In fact the staff call the back loading area the cow shed.

I think some of it is down to people hearing the stories and getting spooked by things that have perfectly normal causes. Power of suggestion and all that. But when I hear that strange stuff seems to be happening I’m always interested :D
I know you said that the store was built on fields, but have you checked any old maps just in case there was something else there at one time? (there probably wasn't, but you never know).

Back