Old-School Cool

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I often look at the photographs that bubble up on Reddit from this subforum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/

And while there are a few too many posts from people trying to demonstrate how attractive their parents are, there's also a lot of retro-cool pictures, several of which I've posted on the Good Stuff Online Thread.

Here's a start and a patron saint for the thread:

Lotus_Esprit_Roger_Moore_Barbara_Bach.JPG

And here's my first contribution:

Mus_992.JPG

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I give you three legends for the price of one:

Brigadier "Mad Mike" Calvert at the Battle of Mogaung in June 1944 directing (Acting) Lieut-Colonel Freddie Shaw (c/o 3/6th GR) as Major Jimmy Lumley (2 i/c) watches on. All three men lack rank insignia and carry rifles (Lumley's unconventional) in order to avoid sniper attention. Maj. Lumley has somehow acquired an M1 Carbine and looks as though he belongs in a Vietnam movie. On 6th April this year, before having set out on this Second Chindit Expedition with 77th Brigade, he learnt that his wife in England had given birth to a baby daughter named Joanna.

Edit: Note on Calvert:

Mad Mike Calvert was said to be the man who had killed the most enemies soldiers with his own hands. He reports in his biography how he killed a Japanese officer in a river. They both wanted to take a bath and did not recognise each other until they were both nude in the river. It came to a fight and Calvert knocked the Japanese down and drowned him...

Last edited:

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
For non-showbiz, real life cool, one of my heroes
What's he doing with his left hand? Is he pointing at something? Does he have arthritis? Or is it somthing more sinister than that?

[History-channel-voiceover] And is there a connection between the Apollo missions, long lost giants and the Knights Templar?[/History-channel-voiceover]

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
What's he doing with his left hand? Is he pointing at something? Does he have arthritis? Or is it somthing more sinister than that?

[History-channel-voiceover] And is there a connection between the Apollo missions, long lost giants and the Knights Templar?[/History-channel-voiceover]
Never noticed that. Let the conspiracy theories commence :)

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
And now some old-school sporting cool. I give you Jacques Anquetil who lived an, ahem, interesting life when not winning the Tour de France...

Attachments

Last edited:
Suomi.jpg

A Suomi KP/31: Finnish – and in my opinion possibly one of the toughest most no-nonsense looking firearms ever designed. WW2 era – based on a 1920’s pattern, I think. You only have to have a blurred photograph of one of these in a cupboard 3000 miles away to stop people fucking about with you.

(Actually, on second thought’s the toughest is the Lahti L-39 anti-tank rifle. 1939 vintage. A firearm whose mere design profile is so utterly nails it would make a terrorist hide in a metal box full of scorpions buried under a burning scrapyard.

Lahti - L39.jpg

...it's 2.2 metres long!!!)

You can keep your Heckler & Koch and your AR-15’s - if someone gets me one of these I promise to be a very good boy.

I need it for the pigeons - really, I do.

And in order to dilute the rampant Boys!Whataretheylike testosteronism (yeah, okay – no such word, but you know what I mean) of the above – here is a picture of some baby monkeys:

monkey.jpg

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
A firearm whose mere design profile is so utterly nails it would make a terrorist hide in a metal box full of scorpions buried under a burning scrapyard.
You only have to have a blurred photograph of one of these in a cupboard 3000 miles away to stop people fucking about with you.
:rofl::rofl:

My grandfather owned many two wheeled death traps during his life - at one time a requisitioned WW2 model Zundapp (I think the it would be KS 750), which, unfortunately I was not around early enough to meet.

I'm not a massive fan of motor bikes myself, but this (the 800) is utterly beautiful:

zundapp 1.jpg zundapp 2.jpg

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual, Buster
Very nice - there's something just right about the lines of a rigid motorcycle, and the Zundapp's very evident frame is a thing of beauty. But what's with the massive heat shield - or whatever that ribbed plate is - by the left-hand foot rest?

Also, that front brake looks a bit puny for a bike that apparent weight - you'd get more stopping power putting your feet on the floor...

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual, Buster
Speaking of rigid motorcycles, here's Rollie Free at Bonneville Salt Flats breaking the world motorcycle speed record in 1948. In this shot, he's on his way to a little over 150mph, in just a shower cap, a pair of swimming trunks and a pair of slippers. On a salt flat... That takes a certain amount of sang-froid.

ETA and no front brake at all, that I can see...

Further edit: I'm an idiot - the Vincent wasn't rigid at all. Rather, it was, of course, equipped with a very early version of monoshock suspension (to be still more pedantic, I think this particular arrangement used twin shock absorbers - I think that's them in the above pic between the fuel tank and the rear mudguard).

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
A new pic of Bruce Campbell in season 3 of Ash V Evil Dead baby .. groovy ..

Bruce3.jpg

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
That's what happens when you don't wear bicycle clips.
This, plus the loss of Empire, the Gold Standard, and a Navy that was actually worth something. Ok, there may have been other contributory factors, but bicycle clips became rare just about the same time as they started to reprint the atlases. Circumstantial, but still damned coincidental....