Old-School Cool

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Maybe not young John Lennon or Julie Christie cool, but I bring you the young Judith Durham of the Seekers – okay, perhaps not the coolest band in the known universe – but just listen to Georgy Girl and if you're not moved you officially have a heart of solid granite! (Not that I'm intolerant of other opinions, you understand...).

Attachments

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Georgy Girl is a great film with a great theme song. Co-written by Jim Dale of the Carry Ons, fact fans.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Georgy Girl is a great film with a great theme song. Co-written by Jim Dale of the Carry Ons, fact fans.
I set the questions for a charity quiz every year (for the last four years) and that was one of my questions - I was pleasantly surprised that every team (or nearly every team) knew Jim Dale wrote the lyrics. Good lyrics for the film's closing sequence too:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Some shooter-style Old School Cool from my personal archives. I was at my club a few years back when - purely by coincidence - these beauties turned up at the same time:

From top to bottom they are:

Mauser Kar 98k in 8mm Mauser, the principal German sniper rifle of WWII.

Mosin–Nagant Model 1891/30 in 7.62×54mmR, which served the Russians in the same war.

M1903 Springfield in .30-06 for the USA.

Note: I believe that the Mozzie is the only completely authentic WWII-era rifle seen above. I seem to remember that the Mauser is a "bitser" in .308 assembled by a mate of mine. The Springfield...?

Lush.

maximus otter

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
I set the questions for a charity quiz every year (for the last four years) and that was one of my questions - I was pleasantly surprised that every team (or nearly every team) knew Jim Dale wrote the lyrics. Good lyrics for the film's closing sequence too:

Holy cats! Never in my life did I even know about this ending. Probably too taboo for radio at the time.

Anyway for old school, Frank Sinatra sporting a fedora and slinging an trenchcoat over his shoulder was 1950s cool.

1364949873648.jpeg

skinny

Antediluvian
Brian Boru
bboru.jpg
clan o'brien badge $47.jpg
When is somebody going to make the film? Surely the time is ripe what with all the shitty superhero films about this century. Incidentally, Brian died 1002 years ago. Perhaps 2016 was his moment to shine in resurrection. hm
Anyway, it's a great tale of the least among his family rising to leadership and glory a la the Dave. Pretty cool. So was Dave, for that matter. At least for a while.

Brian Boru
View attachment 13901
View attachment 13902
When is somebody going to make the film? Surely the time is ripe what with all the shitty superhero films about this century. Incidentally, Brian died 1002 years ago. Perhaps 2016 was his moment to shine in resurrection. hm
Anyway, it's a great tale of the least among his family rising to leadership and glory a la the Dave. Pretty cool. So was Dave, for that matter. At least for a while.
I want to play the Viking who plants an axe in Brian's head.