Old-School Cool

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
"When the seagulls follow the trawler it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."
That was a quote from Cantona during a media interview after his conviction for launching a kung-fu kick at spectator Matthew Simmons.
Simmons, 20 years old at the time (1995), was alleged to have told Cantona to "f*** off back to France" (TV footage seems to back this up).
His story was that he had merely shouted "Off! Off! Off! It's an early bath for you, Mr Cantona!" Now that's class heckling.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Kind of difficult to do a sequel considering the ending.
There was a rumour that he escaped/was rescued from the car and that would have been the start of the sequel.
Coincidentally I was in the George on Great Portland Street a good few summers back when I ended up sharing a table with a gentleman dressed in white linen, presumably to help beat the heat. It turned out to be Bob Hoskins; I was working at Broadcasting House at the time and assumed he’d been in for an interview or similar. Or he may just have been doing some shopping on Oxford Street and popped in for a cold one!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
There was a rumour that he escaped/was rescued from the car and that would have been the start of the sequel.
Coincidentally I was in the George on Great Portland Street a good few summers back when I ended up sharing a table with a gentleman dressed in white linen, presumably to help beat the heat. It turned out to be Bob Hoskins; I was working at Broadcasting House at the time and assumed he’d been in for an interview or similar. Or he may just have been doing some shopping on Oxford Street and popped in for a cold one!
Hmm, that would have spoiled the bleak finality of the ending, the fact that the IRA have forced him into a corner he can never escape from is what makes it so powerful.

Everything I've heard about Bob Hoskins indicates he was a great guy. So sad we won't get a sequel to On The Move, now, of course.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I always find it hard to believe this took to the air nearly 60 years ago and yet it still makes modern aircraft look old-fashioned

View attachment 28423
I saw one in flight during my time at UEA Norwich in the early 1980s. I was in the library and it flew over very low (hundreds rather than thousands of feet) accompanied by four SEPECAT Jaguars. SR71s were based at Suffolk's RAF Mildenhall from 1976 to 1990 (thank you, Wikipedia, for that info). These days it would be captured on a thousand iPhones. Then, just my memory.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw one in flight during my time at UEA Norwich in the early 1980s. I was in the library and it flew over very low (hundreds rather than thousands of feet) accompanied by four SEPECAT Jaguars. SR71s were based at Suffolk's RAF Mildenhall from 1976 to 1990 (thank you, Wikipedia, for that info). These days it would be captured on a thousand iPhones. Then, just my memory.
I saw one on the ground at at Mildenhall, very close up in the 80s.

It was a good day. We'd been given a tour around the station by a friend's father who worked there and had arranged the trip for our Scout troop.

Very exciting stuff.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ol Neil Young earlier this year
- taken by his wife, Priss
Cool he was and cool he still is. There is a wonderful book called:
Hotel California: The True–Life Adventures of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Mitchell, Taylor, Browne, Ronstadt, Geffen, the Eagles, and Their Many Friends
Which I can highly recommend about the ins and outs of the beginnings of their careers and how they all intertwined together.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with Concorde, the most beautiful plane ever built. What I'd give to take a flight in one!
Can’t even claim a sighting of SR 71 but when I used to do some journeys on the M25 I often ended up being underneath Concorde as it took of and it was impressive. And I have been on Concorde. In an air museum :(

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my favourite aircraft - the vertical take off and landing Dornier! At least some of it because it's not going to be practically useful - but they tried it anyway!

Standing next to one you really feel the muscle of the thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score
I saw one fly over at a few hundred feet, when I was working near Eye in Suffolk, it'd be mid-1981, we were sitting outside the lab at lunch time and I had the C81 NME Rough Trade cassette, on a cassette player we'd borrowed from the office. It looked like something from a Sci-Fi film (probably heading back to Mildenhall).

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I saw one fly over at a few hundred feet, when I was working near Eye in Suffolk, it'd be mid-1981, we were sitting outside the lab at lunch time and I had the C81 NME Rough Trade cassette, on a cassette player we'd borrowed from the office. It looked like something from a Sci-Fi film (probably heading back to Mildenhall).
You remember what music you were playing?