Old-School Cool

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'Girl on a Ducati'

Maybe @Frideswide could help with the background here?

The only attribution to this inage is, 'cafe racer' and it's undated.

Cool though....

IMG_20201126_054614_resize_12.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There's cool, there's super cool and then there's this guy...

IMG_20201126_104959_resize_71.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
John Waters told Nico he would like her to sing at his funeral. She said "Ven are you goink to die?"

There was a pretty good film about her middle aged years out a couple of years ago called Nico 1988, weirdly kind of a black comedy about how affected she was by heroin. You need a strong sense of humour to appreciate, it though, and I imagine the real woman would have hated it.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Sam Peckinpah along with James Coburn and others on the set of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. The studio was concerned about Peckinpah's drinking so in order to put their minds at rest he posed for this photo - on a stretcher with a bottle of whisky on an intravenous drip.

u8Sx7eFNKxmJkN3bi8Mn5cf8WUUhSIyQSsSablJCuqY.jpg

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
John Waters told Nico he would like her to sing at his funeral. She said "Ven are you goink to die?"

There was a pretty good film about her middle aged years out a couple of years ago called Nico 1988, weirdly kind of a black comedy about how affected she was by heroin. You need a strong sense of humour to appreciate, it though, and I imagine the real woman would have hated it.

There's a book 'Songs they never play on the radio' written by her keyboard player which is worth a read. Details her life in Manchester where she lived for a few years in the 80s, & her constant travails in obtaining heroin when touring abroad. Couldn't rely on smuggling enough through customs so had to be obtained locally. National Treasure John Cooper Clark also features in it, when he was into his smack phase at the time.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There's a book 'Songs they never play on the radio' written by her keyboard player which is worth a read.
How nice to see the feedback on Nico.

'The Velvet Underground and Nico' was a seminal album of my youth.

There's a wonderful obituary from Rolling Stone magazine and so many facets therein I was personally unaware of.

It also features a particularly befitting photograph.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/nico-1938-1988-78083/

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As we’re talking about Nico, how about this? Kevin Ayres, Nico, John Cale and Brian Eno
View attachment 31929

I think this is from the gig at the Rainbow 1 June 1974 where they were all on. I was there - great gig. One memory of it is superb guitarist Ollie Halsall [of Patto & later The Ruttles], who was in Kevin Ayers' band, taking against Eno for some reason & sticking a V sign right in his face when coming back for an encore.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In formative years, I grew up watching the Jason King TV series and thought this was the coolest guy ever.

I even had a matching Paisley pattern shirt and tie as well! :D

IMG_20201127_010830.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I think this is from the gig at the Rainbow 1 June 1974 where they were all on. I was there - great gig.
That's really interesting, thanks! I presume you are aware of the following, which I have just put on for a listen and quite looking forward to.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
'Girl on a Ducati'

Maybe @Frideswide could help with the background here?

The only attribution to this inage is, 'cafe racer' and it's undated.

Cool though....

View attachment 31897
It could be a Ducati, I suppose. Specifically, something along these - very shapely - lines, only slightly more monochrome...

Ducati single.jpg
The exhaust seems to have a similar sweep, and the toolbox cover has a similar angle. The crankcase also looks a similar shape, and there is that weird lever thingy - a decompressor? - towards the front, which seems to be matched on the mystery machine. Granted, this particular bike has a disc front brake, rather than a drum, but that's not beyond the realms of an upgrade. Ditto the single seat. What I personally don't understand is the lighter grey column in the middle of the cylinder as we see it (and there is a similar lighter portion on the cylinder of the bike in the OP) - if this is a desmo engine, then - as @shellac7 remarks - there would be no need for a pushrod tube, what with it being gears rather than pushrods that actuate the valves. So what is that?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Coolest film suits? (Most be from 1955 to 1975)

No pretty boys either.

a) Marvin in Point Blank

pblank1-main1.jpg
pblank1-cl-jkt-dts.jpg

b) McQueen in The Getaway or The Thomas Crown Affair, (those shades are amazing)

getaway72sm-cl2b-tie.jpg

the-thomas-crown-affair-1968-shutterstock-editorial-5885897bf.jpg

c) Connery in Gold Finger

2779e73547fea5634771eb9ed119daf96b6ab5bb.jpg

d) Grant in North by North West

nxnw-main.jpg

e) Caine in The Ipcress Files (1965) & Alfie (1967)

169794-1542621622.jpg

alfie66blue-main1.jpg

For me It's Marvin, the start of the movie as he walks through the office building in that iconic gray flannel suit beats all others.

Who else? I'm trying to stick to the age of cool which begins in the mid to late 50's and ends by the 70's and the emergence of disco.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's a a modified Triumph Tiger Cub. Single cylinder 200cc. But then again..... :D
I think it's a Ducati, because I 'think' I can make out 'CAT' on the fuel tank badge with the photo enlarged and tweaked for contrast. However, I can't find any vintage photos showing Ducati badging in that particular style.

On we(heart)it the photo is captioned "Ducati 250 Girl (IT)", and the source is given as dangerousminds.net. The dangerousminds.net source doesn't (currently?) show a caption for the photo at all.

http://iseephoto.com/detail/ducati-250-girl-it
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_girls_on_their_motorcycles_photos_of_women_and_their_ri