Old-School Cool

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well that’s put paid to Krepostnoi’s chances of sleeping tonight.
He'll be fine, I'm sure...

Screenshot_20201202_171303.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've seen that picture before, and it sticks in my mind, because for some reason I find Robert Plant absolutely terrifying in it. All the more so, given the incongruously cheerful expressions on the other two faces.
Are the other two Linda Ronstadt and Ronnie Wood?

I saw Robert Plant perform live last year, and I wasn't expecting it. I went to see Fairport Convention at the Bath Forum when gig going was legal (remember that?). I got to the auditorium just in time for the support act to find every seat taken, which is unusual – turns out Plant's new band were a last-minute addition to the bill. I can confirm that he looks great for his age and his voice is in fine fettle.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Are the other two Linda Ronstadt and Ronnie Wood?

I saw Robert Plant perform live last year, and I wasn't expecting it. I went to see Fairport Convention at the Bath Forum when gig going was legal (remember that?). I got to the auditorium just in time for the support act to find every seat taken, which is unusual – turns out Plant's new band were a last-minute addition to the bill. I can confirm that he looks great for his age and his voice is in fine fettle.
Yes, you're right about the other two. How did you find Fairport Convention? OH and I went to see them at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge in the early 2010s, and we left after the first two numbers. They just seemed completely unengaged by what they were doing, and the feeling was contagious. I'd had high hopes, and they were completely dashed.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, you're right about the other two. How did you find Fairport Convention? OH and I went to see them at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge in the early 2010s, and we left after the first two numbers. They just seemed completely unengaged by what they were doing, and the feeling was contagious. I'd had high hopes, and they were completely dashed.
Liked Fairrport a lot – and they were engaged. My main gripe was there was too much banter and 'humour' between songs; I'd have preferred a couple more songs than the well-worn anecdotes. I've seen them a few times over the years, and back in the day – I'm guessing the 1980s – saw Simon Nicol and Dave Swarbrick upstairs at Smith Bros Wine Vaults in Bath, promoted by the Bath Folk Club. Happy days!

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Liked Fairrport a lot – and they were engaged. My main gripe was there was too much banter and 'humour' between songs; I'd have preferred a couple more songs than the well-worn anecdotes. I've seen them a few times over the years, and back in the day – I'm guessing the 1980s – saw Simon Nicol and Dave Swarbrick upstairs at Smith Bros Wine Vaults in Bath, promoted by the Bath Folk Club. Happy days!
I quite like that folky tradition of a bit of chat between each song, although I guess it can be easy to get it wrong - I remember being disappointed to realise that Leonard Cohen had been doing a schtick rather than spontaneous conversation, although I'm willing to forgive him. And now that you mention it, I think Fairport's banter did a lot to put us off. Anyway, I'm glad your experience was different to - and better than - ours. We must have just caught them on a bad day. I also saw Andy Cutting and Spiers and Boden at the Trades, and they were very different experiences. Great gigs, both of them, although I'm still tickled by Cutting's lament that he plays dance tunes, but nobody ever dances to them!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I quite like that folky tradition of a bit of chat between each song, although I guess it can be easy to get it wrong. Anyway, I'm glad your experience was different to - and better than - ours.
Well done on your entry into the scariest avatar competition Krepostnoi!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Getting in early for Halloween.
For a guy who you thought could never, 'take a bad picture', that one of Plant is a shocker!

Another I came across and to which this equally applies, is the following photograph of a young Cary Grant...

IMG_20201204_104705_resize_0.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's not Cary Grant - it's Clark Gable.
I genuinely do get the names confused sometimes... :chuckle:

I was wondering who that photo reminded of and eventually... although maybe just myself who thinks so!

IMG_20201204_105326_resize_81.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Melanie... {sigh...}. I was 14 and had a hopeless crush...

IMG_20201205_061120_resize_66.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Worth waiting for!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From Wikipedia

Sylvia Syms has said that the Danish beer Carlsberg was chosen because they could never have been seen to be drinking a German lager, since the United Kingdom and Germany are at war during the film. The beer referred to in the original novel is Rheingold, which, despite its German name, is American...

...Syms said the producers got a good deal out of her for "£30 a week", adding: "But I made a lot more when they turned it into an advert for Carlsberg".

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
From Wikipedia

Sylvia Syms has said that the Danish beer Carlsberg was chosen because they could never have been seen to be drinking a German lager, since the United Kingdom and Germany are at war during the film. The beer referred to in the original novel is Rheingold, which, despite its German name, is American...

...Syms said the producers got a good deal out of her for "£30 a week", adding: "But I made a lot more when they turned it into an advert for Carlsberg".
Sylvia's the only one left from that film.