Old-School Cool

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The trailer for The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which was one of the last films I saw at the cinema pre-lockdown – late 2019, not when it came out!

A glorious-looking film with the very young Catherine Deneuve, though like the male lead, her voice was dubbed.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Some people are resistant to the charms of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and call it pure syrup. Do not trust these people. It is a beautifully sad film.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some people are resistant to the charms of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and call it pure syrup. Do not trust these people. It is a beautifully sad film.
Some people don't like Mary Poppins either. Very sad.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Most people would find her annoying. She turns everything into a song and dance routine, doesn't teach the kids anything, etc.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Not a big fan of musicals, especially those filmed in technicolor.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not a big fan of musicals, especially those filmed in technicolor.
Oddly, given my postings here, I'm really not a big fan of musicals, but there are a few exceptions: Cabaret; The Umbrellas of Cherbourg; Mary Poppins (is that a musical or a kids' film with songs?); All that Jazz; West Side Story; Singing' in the Rain, and maybe one or two I've forgotten. But like opera and ballet, on the whole I find musicals too artificial to make an emotional contact with.

I've just been to Rotten Tomatoes' top 100 musicals, and they use the term musical very widely. Head; Tommy; A Night at the Opera?! (I'm a big Marx Bros fan but I'm not sure that's a musical) and pretty much every Muppets movie.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Musicals I have liked: Carousel. Bugsy Malone.
Musicals I love: Rocky Horror Picture Show and *gasp* Shocktreatment.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Oddly, given my postings here, I'm really not a big fan of musicals, but there are a few exceptions: Cabaret; The Umbrellas of Cherbourg; Mary Poppins (is that a musical or a kids' film with songs?); All that Jazz; West Side Story; Singing' in the Rain, and maybe one or two I've forgotten. But like opera and ballet, on the whole I find musicals too artificial to make an emotional contact with.

I've just been to Rotten Tomatoes' top 100 musicals, and they use the term musical very widely. Head; Tommy; A Night at the Opera?! (I'm a big Marx Bros fan but I'm not sure that's a musical) and pretty much every Muppets movie.

I like Singing in the Rain and Mary Poppins and... um... Oliver? Does that count as a musical? The one with Jack Wild in.

But other than that, I've never cared for musicals really, certainly not anything sort of 'broadway'. Just not my cup of tea.

I just noticed your post mentions that Head is listed as a musical. I would never have actually thought of it as a musical, even though it has songs in it!

The first time I watched Head (we bought the DVD expecting a sort of feature-length Monkees episode) I was very surprised and bemused.
The next time I watched it I started to get it.
By the third viewing I decided I loved it.

Head is much better than 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee. Don't get me started on that.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The uncredited actor who played G Cosgrove in the Bergerac episode "Always leave them laughing" looks remarkably similar to a model who appeared in a Club International magazine. I happened to have this magazine when I was younger. If you are reading this No 5 and I am mistaken I sincerely apologize.

No 5 next to Joanna Whalley.

Bergerac+-+02x02+-+Always+leave+them+laughing+005.jpg

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
The uncredited actor who played G Cosgrove in the Bergerac episode "Always leave them laughing" looks remarkably similar to a model who appeared in a Club International magazine. I happened to have this magazine when I was younger. If you are reading this No 5 and I am mistaken I sincerely apologize.

No 5 next to Joanna Whalley.

Bergerac+-+02x02+-+Always+leave+them+laughing+005.jpg
IMDB credit her as Jane Doe so presumably they don’t know who she is either.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not really keen on musicals, but I love Mary Poppins, and my daughter's love for it has given it a whole new significance.

Last summer we went out for a picnic at a nearby beauty spot, and she wore her miniature Mary Poppins costume. Although I couldn't manage a boater, I did at her insistence wear my striped boating jacket and sang along to the songs.

Wife was mortified.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
James Garner, Steve McQueen, Lee Marvin. Must have been about 1960 or earlier.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am no car fanatic, but I do appreciate a nice one. This one had me saying ''Holy shit!''

mercedes.jpg

Here's the background for those interested in such things:

An unbelievable modified Mercedes 300SL! This is John Sarkisyan’s @slang500 latest 300 SL retromod build. The project initially started life as a bare shell 300 SL Roadster and was completed in just four months. Behind the sleek 300SL skin, there’s a 2002 SLK 32 AMG hiding underneath. Power is provided by a supercharged AMG V6 engine.
Sarkisyan used parts from four different cars to turn his vision into reality. In addition to the 300 SL speedster and gullwing, the car builder also incorporated parts from Mercedes SLK and Porsche speedster. The windshield of this 300 SL restomod is a modified Porsche 356 part, and the design of the headrests was inspired by the cars that Stirling Moss raced back in the 50s.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I am no car fanatic, but I do appreciate a nice one. This one had me saying ''Holy shit!'' ...

I must respectfully protest ... That is an impressive modern-day 300SL carcass highly frankensteined and slammed into a low rider street queen (negative camber and all).

With all due respect, this is the 'Old School Cool' original - the version I still can't help but lust for ...

1955-MB-300SL-AMG.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I must respectfully protest ... That is an impressive modern-day 300SL carcass highly frankensteined and slammed into a low rider street queen (negative camber and all).

With all due respect, this is the 'Old School Cool' original - the version I still can't help but lust for ...

Why not have one old and one new. Just for the sake of comparison?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oops. The one on the right is James Coburn.
I deliberately left it unlabelled but I thought that the pic was the absolute epitome of cool. I came across it while searching for something unrelated to any of them, as far as I can remember. But what a pic!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
James Garner, Steve McQueen, Lee Marvin. Must have been about 1960 or earlier.

All three were in The Great Escape which was released in '63, looks like it might be some sort of publicity event for that movie. Another bit of cool trivia - all three trained with Bruce Lee (Lee appeared in a movie with Garner - Marlowe (1969).

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Didn't know Garner was a pupil of Lee.
I found it fascinating the following connections:
Charles Bronson and David McCallum played together in The Great Escape. McCallum was married to Jill Ireland.
>> "He had met her in 1962, when she was married to Scottish actor David McCallum. At the time, Bronson (who shared the screen with McCallum in The Great Escape) reportedly told him, "I'm going to marry your wife".<<
She acted with Bronson in (in my opinion a great Western film) Breakheart Pass.
It's sweet to note that when Jill Ireland died, Charles Bronson had her ashes placed in a cane which Charles Bronson had buried with him at Brownsville Cemetery when he died in 2003.
Bronson was renowned for not being able to 'accept' his popularity and star-status. He didn't like interviews, he didn't like to be asked deep questions about his role. In this, I think he was really cool.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Didn't know Garner was a pupil of Lee.
I found it fascinating the following connections:
Charles Bronson and David McCallum played together in The Great Escape. McCallum was married to Jill Ireland.
>> "He had met her in 1962, when she was married to Scottish actor David McCallum. At the time, Bronson (who shared the screen with McCallum in The Great Escape) reportedly told him, "I'm going to marry your wife".<<
She acted with Bronson in (in my opinion a great Western film) Breakheart Pass.
It's sweet to note that when Jill Ireland died, Charles Bronson had her ashes placed in a cane which Charles Bronson had buried with him at Brownsville Cemetery when he died in 2003.
Bronson was renowned for not being able to 'accept' his popularity and star-status. He didn't like interviews, he didn't like to be asked deep questions about his role. In this, I think he was really cool.
Coburn and McQueen seemed to be more into martial arts than Garner - they were pall bearers at Bruce Lee's funeral. One of Lee's earliest screen roles was in the private eye movie Marlowe with Garner as Philip Marlowe. Lee was a heavy sent to indimidate him.
hct9r26q8fm01.jpg

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Alain Delon who is still going strong at 85. Blessed with incredible good looks IMO.
D4983A22-AD8F-4AC6-9FF2-4F0DFEF459B8.jpeg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Apparently there was an interview with Delon last year where he said he wanted to die, he was tired of living and was only sticking around because of his pet dog. I know he's had some mad opinions in the past, but that sounds like a very sad place to be.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he has only himself and his dog to care for. If he feels the need to care for his pet up until he dies then it sounds as he is a caring guy.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he has only himself and his dog to care for. If he feels the need to care for his pet up until he dies then it sounds as he is a caring guy.

Not really:
News story

Maybe he's one of those fascists who really likes dogs?