Old-School Cool

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just flicked on to an episode of The Avengers with Brian Blessed, Charlotte Rampling and Donald Sutherland – how cool?! But Rampling and Diana Rigg is a double helping of cool I just couldn't resist.

avengers-seven2-1024x767.jpg

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Just flicked on to an episode of The Avengers with Brian Blessed, Charlotte Rampling and Donald Sutherland – how cool?! But Rampling and Diana Rigg is a double helping of cool I just couldn't resist.

View attachment 34051
The Superlative Seven! An excellent episode. And yes how can you go wrong with that entire cast!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Not really:
News story
Maybe he's one of those fascists who really likes dogs?
Ah. I stand with my suggestion shredded.

The mention of Donald Sutherland reminds me of that happy evening as I was following a 'rabbit hole' of old horror/thriller videos on You Tube/Roku/etc.
Not only did I find Chris Lee in the Col. March series with Boris Karloff but an early Chris Lee horror movie (The Castle of The Living Dead) which had a very young Donald Sutherland in a prominent part - he of Gideon's Way, The Saint and, of course, Dr.Terror's House of Horrors.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Ah. I stand with my suggestion shredded.

The mention of Donald Sutherland reminds me of that happy evening as I was following a 'rabbit hole' of old horror/thriller videos on You Tube/Roku/etc.
Not only did I find Chris Lee in the Col. March series with Boris Karloff but an early Chris Lee horror movie (The Castle of The Living Dead) which had a very young Donald Sutherland in a prominent part - he of Gideon's Way, The Saint and, of course, Dr.Terror's House of Horrors.

Yes, Sutherland moved to the UK to get his big break, which I think came with The Dirty Dozen. You can spot him in a few things: I think he's in Billion Dollar Brain, too (the nutty Harry Palmer movie).

Don't worry about Monsieur Delon, though, I have to accept many movie stars (and creators) are and were just people with all the faults that come with them, some with bigger faults than others.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Here's a French action star I prefer, though:

jeanpb.jpg

Jean-Paul Belmondo! Jackie Chan's biggest influence, movie star-wise. When he retired from clambering around light aircraft mid-flight, he excused himself by saying "I don't want to become the flying grandpa of French cinema", which I thought was really funny.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Apparently he got the tattoo during the war (he was in the Navy) and woke up with it one morning after a night drinking with some shipmates.
He had a very lucky escape when he was in the navy
He joined H.M.S. Hood on 29 November 1940. He served as a Foretopman on the portside of the focsle and held a number of watch duties. His nickname aboard ship was "Marmaduke". He left the ship in Spring 1941 after being selected as an officer candidate. He is believed to have been one of the luck y group of men who left the ship on the day before her final sailing. He served as a commissioned officer for the remainder of the war. He claimed to have worked as an intelligence agent/officer during that time period.
http://www.hmshood.com/crew/biography/PertweeJDR.htm

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
He had a very lucky escape when he was in the navy

He was a stalwart of The Navy Lark on the old wireless. He was demoted, for that, iirc!

His association with larking was consolidated by an LP of salty ballads for Philips, back in the day when anything implying wenching and illegitimacy was viewed as risqué.

"Songs for Vulgar Boatmen." :omg:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Of his time yet timeless.

View attachment 40607
I saw Jon Pertwee live in the Doctor Who stageshow 'The Ultimate Adventure' in Bristol in 1989. On my way from the Bristol Hippodrome to Temple Meads station my friend and I passed him in the street. I think it was fair to say Mr Pertwee looked a little the worse for wear, for which I liked him more! Luckily this was in the pre-smartphone era so it exists purely as a memory...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Nina Simone - musical genius, bipolar, uncompromising. Even in her later years she still exuded 'cool', old school or not....

https://blogs.kcrw.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Nina-Simone.jpg

My American Dream Sounds Like Nina Simone | WBUR News

Nina Simone's Birthplace Will Be Restored As a National ...'s Birthplace Will Be Restored As a National ...

Have you heard the clip of her concert where someone gets up to leave and she growls "Sit down! SIT DOWN!"? I wouldn't have argued with her!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I saw Jon Pertwee live in the Doctor Who stageshow 'The Ultimate Adventure' in Bristol in 1989. On my way from the Bristol Hippodrome to Temple Meads station my friend and I passed him in the street. I think it was fair to say Mr Pertwee looked a little the worse for wear, for which I liked him more! Luckily this was in the pre-smartphone era so it exists purely as a memory...

I saw that too, in Glasgow. When he told the Margaret Thatcher character to be quiet, the place erupted in a roar of approval that almost disrupted the show.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Diana Rigg
....was 'bang tidy' back then.
One of my destinations in my imaginary time machine, and also for my imaginary 'muscle beach body'.
I'd fancy my chances if I could also get the plastic surgery beforehand to make me anywhere near attractive.
But we can all dream eh.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I saw Sylvester McCoy in a rather strange number 23 event which I’ve already posted here.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The most elegant Aussie in history.

E4Tz7KeXIAUfrw0.jpeg

I seldom give a moment's thought to how handsome, ugly or indifferently attractive other men might be to women, but I couldn't help but pause and think: you, my man, have been blessed.