Old-School Cool

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Yes. That wasn't a film I'd recommend, though. There'll be one out some time which exudes the spirit of the Beats. I'd like to see Cassady played in a film about the Merry Pranksters too.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yes. That wasn't a film I'd recommend, though. There'll be one out some time which exudes the spirit of the Beats. I'd like to see Cassady played in a film about the Merry Pranksters too.
In 1980 you could see Heart Beat, with Nick Nolte as Neal and the late John Heard as Jack (and Sissy Spacek as Carolyn). It's a bit soapy.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
From the same realms, but slightly more encapsulated. This is less about May than the flight jockeys and their work.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Morgan: a Suitable Case for Treatment. Vanessa Redgrave and David Warner, what's not to love?! image-w1280.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
More man having a nervous breakdown than 'cool' but it's cool he didn't back down ...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Spoilers! Weird how even Joel Schumacher thought D-FENS was the hero of the movie.
Anti-hero, but the film is clearly shot so that the audience identifies with him more than any other character. The soon-to-be-retired cop is the only other sympathetic figure, IIRC and the estranged wife is presented negatively.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anti-hero, but the film is clearly shot so that the audience identifies with him more than any other character. The soon-to-be-retired cop is the only other sympathetic figure, IIRC and the estranged wife is presented negatively.
The estranged wife (Barbara Hershey) is depicted as shit-scared that her ex-husband is about to try something dangerous and she is proved to be correct. The hero is Robert Duvall's cliché one day away from retirement cop who reacts to the same crap day with humour and understanding (apart from the bit where he punches someone so we know he's not a total wimp, thanks Hollywood). D-FENS flatters us by thinking he's tackling modern issues, but the twist is that all he cares about is his own whingeing self. He's not the hero.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Me and GNC playing a heated game of conkers somewhere in England yesterday with Yith and Stu fervently watching out for deliberate tanglies ..

conkers-in-the-school-playground.jpg