• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Old Thrad That Relates To This Subject

Ah, yes, I remember Old Thrad! He always used to sit in the window seat in the pub, with his clay pipe and his pint of mild, mumbling away to himself.

But he was an expert on beans. Show him any bean, and he'd tell you all about it, what soil it likes, when to plant it, the colour of the flowers, and so on. Yes old Thrad knew how many beans make five!

And sometimes some of the locals, or maybe a passing stranger, would treat him to a large scotch, and then it wasn't hard to get him to sing all 37 verses of the Dwile Flonking song.

I often wondered what happened to Old Thrad. Suddenly, it seemed, he never came to the pub any more, but nobody said he died, and I don't remember a funeral...

(Ain't it a bugger when you correct a post and the title still displays a typo! :) )

Old Thrad? I remember him well... Last time i saw him he was a drunk as an three members of the clergy and in a ditch...

Indeed, the curse of the shareware message board is upon us, especially with my excremental typing :) However, I hope the actual content of the attached thread is of interest

8¬)

Old Thrad. More legend than man, really.

I remember seeing him dance around the hollow stump in the moonlight. Oh, how we used to laugh!

Once, after smoking scraped banana peels, he leaned in close, his weathered face like a talking raisin: "Son," he said. "I'm gonna tell you what my grandad told me right before he died." The red in his eye alerted me to his seriousness. "I went to grandad's dying bed, and he held me close. He said 'grandson....AAARRRRGGGHHH.'"

Whenever the telephone rings and no one's there, I shed a tear for Old Thrad. Amen.

Good Grief! Good, ol' Thrad sure seems to have got around!

It was he that first showed me the wonders of the Fortean, lectured me on the mysteries of women folk and aptly demonstrated why you should never examine what it is you're eating too closely.

I can still remember that time, in The Feathers, when he ordered the Special... the origin of the Haggis Burger if ever there was one!

And then there were the women. Despite his advancing decrepitude he frequently wandered off, after closing time, with young lady on each arm. Of course it was the only way he could stand upright, but even so...

Of course none of them would have made it home if it wasn't for Thrad's old Jack Russle, originally named "Jack Russle". Jack, as Thrad would insist with a gleeful twinkle in his eye, was the original Russle and all the others were his decendents. Of course that's impossible but sometimes I'd swear that Jack was the wiser of the two.

The last time I saw him was '89 to '90ish. Any more recent sightings? Gods I miss them!

Niles "wiping the tears from his eyes" Calder

Old Thrad

Amazing!! I thought it was only me with whom he shared the arcane.. (cot'd on page 94)
Actually, it was me who told him of my pet observation re the Ark (howzat for straying back on to thread? who needs mods..) to wit: if the entire planet was covered in water (and let's take it as read that it was) then the all-encompassing ocean would have been subject to tidal surges, there would still have been prevailing winds, etc, so why would the Ark have stayed where it was presumably built, i.e. in the Middle East? OK, so the Bible says atop Ararat, but then the Bible says lots of other dubious things (probably lost a bit in translation, from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English..). The Ark could well be in the Himalayas, the Andes, even under a glacier in the Antarctic for all we know.Or, and how's this for a wild speculation, up in the mountainous bits of Central Africa, from whence it's theorised the proto-female "Eve" came all those years ago?
Nobody's looking there for Ark relics, I'll bet..

In the book mentioned in the original 'thrad' there is much made of the Flood... And points up the interesting conincidences of the name of the saviour of mankind across the disparate legends (Nu Wah in chinese legend, Noah in Hebrew legend etc) It also backs up (approximately) Mr Hancocks point about the 7 scholars, the chinese pictogram for boat/ark being a literally translated as eight mouths (Nu Wah and the 7?)

Having read most of Hancock's work (save 'Heaven's Mirror') I think the Noorbergen tome, although flawed, is worth digging out, just for the bit on the Bagdad battery alone. The bit about the Corso object (no identified as a Champinon spark plug from the 20s-30s has dated, but I think he stands up pretty well even now (circular arguments notwithstanding <G>)

8¬)

It's funny, I was just thinking about Old Thrad a few minutes ago and then this turned up in my search results. Only last week I came across one of those odd little carvings he was forever working on with his pocket knife--he must have left it at my old place and somehow it has come from house to house with me without ever being unpacked. Funny little thing: a miniature figure with an outsized amphibian head and eyes that seem to follow you around the place.

I remember putting it on my desk when I went to make some tea, but it went walkabout before I got back and I can't find a trace of it.

Back