Old Ways To Die

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
These were really interesting. Some things you know and some things you’d never have thought of. I really hadn’t thought about the stairs being an issue. Also I knew about celluloid in film and snooker balls being dangerous but I never knew they put it in so many things.

Hidden Killers, New Hidden Killers of the Victorian Home: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l7nl8

Hidden Killers, The Edwardian Home: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lyv9x

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Didn't they do one of these for more recent times as well? I'm getting a vague memory nagging at me...

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The only other one on iPlayer at the moment is Tudor. Just checked, here we are. It says today but on the red button which is confusing.
Looks like it’s official slot is on BBC Four on Tuesday at 8pm.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The only other one on iPlayer at the moment is Tudor. Just checked, here we are. It says today but on the red button which is confusing.
Yes, that's what I was thinking of! Fascinating programme. Thanks!

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember the Witches hat at Butlins. I’ve seen many articles claiming that five children died in a year from using it but none are saying how those poor kids met their fate. So is it true with no facts to back it up. I know they weren’t very safe.

Attachments

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Even as a kid I wouldn't go on those because they looked as if they were about to collapse at any moment!

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Even as a kid I wouldn't go on those because they looked as if they were about to collapse at any moment!
I don’t think the collapsing was the issue.

I used to like the horsey ride which has also had its day.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
What was the issue? Getting trapped in the mechanism? Actually, maybe I don't want to know!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What was the issue? Getting trapped in the mechanism? Actually, maybe I don't want to know!
Falling off and getting crushed underneath or kicked by other kids.
I remember it all too well, although that never happened to me.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I remember the ground underneath a playpark used to be solid tarmac when I was a kid. It's amazing so many of us survived, really.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember the ground underneath a playpark used to be solid tarmac when I was a kid. It's amazing so many of us survived, really.
Oh yes, that was dangerous. Much better with the squidy stuff now.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember the Witches hat at Butlins. I’ve seen many articles claiming that five children died in a year from using it but none are saying how those poor kids met their fate. So is it true with no facts to back it up. I know they weren’t very safe.
Ooh we had one of those 'down the rec'. I don't remember injuries but its possible. I'd assume broken limbs or cracked skulls from falling off 70's era play equipment. One local park was made of paving slabs. Ah happy days.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A report here https://adc.bmj.com/content/89/2/103
About playground safety changes and injury prevention.
I've only skimmed over it but it seem pre soft-surfaces, head injuries were common but deaths v rare. Factures seem to be fairly common despite soft surfaces but there are less minor injuries.
Reducing height of equipment was also important. That why you dont see these bad boys any more
1594666100360.jpg

The report also says that most deaths by playgrounds seem to be accidental hanging or strangulation from rope swings and such :oops:

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A report here https://adc.bmj.com/content/89/2/103
About playground safety changes and injury prevention.
I've only skimmed over it but it seem pre soft-surfaces, head injuries were common but deaths v rare. Factures seem to be fairly common despite soft surfaces but there are less minor injuries.
Reducing height of equipment was also important. That why you dont see these bad boys any more
View attachment 28005

The report also says that most deaths by playgrounds seem to be accidental hanging or strangulation from rope swings and such :oops:
Is that why sing have chains now? Hopefully less fatal.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I noticed the witches hat comming back too.

When will we see the return of the climbing frame shaped like an Apollo re entry capsule?

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I noticed the witches hat comming back too.

When will we see the return of the climbing frame shaped like an Apollo re entry capsule?
That was probably due to when it was built. Lord know what they’d get these days.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That includes informal swings and garden play. And even then it says deaths are extremely uncommon.
We’ve got a round around that our roads feed off that now has a play area and community centre. I remember someone at school saying someone hung themselves there. I’m not sure if it’s true and if so when. There were trees there at some point, so it’s possible then and now. But I really never heard anything about it.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You'd probably have to try hard to be killed by one but I'd forgotten how long it is since I saw one - there used to be in every park. They were pretty boring. Do you still get the roundabouts like this which used to be a staple & cause of many an injury from being thrown off?

playground roundabout | My childhood memories, Childhood memories ...

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You'd probably have to try hard to be killed by one but I'd forgotten how long it is since I saw one - there used to be in every park. They were pretty boring. Do you still get the roundabouts like this which used to be a staple & cause of many an injury from being thrown off?

Our local play park had this one.

Attachments

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I don’t think the collapsing was the issue.

I used to like the horsey ride which has also had its day.
Was that the long horsey thing that had six or seven seats on it and people tried to make it go as violently as possible? in my pre-teen days Southend Council used to just dump an old bus or fire engine in the corner of the playground, which would get systematically shredded over time. At least they took the windows out first.

Parents were different then - if you came back bleeding they'd patch you up while grumbling about getting the blood out of the nice new shirt or trousers or whatever that one was invariably wearing, and had equally unvaryingly been told to not get dirty. And then there was the iodine or TCP on the fresh wounds. I really don't know why anyone is surprised that so many of my generation think we are invincible - we have proved we are by still being here :)

Of course our parents had been through WW2 and all of them were familiar with sudden death. So anything short of actually losing a limb was pretty trivial.

Last edited:

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Swings were fun - often rumours that someone went "all the way round loop-the-loop" but I never saw anyone actually do it.

And the slide - took more time to climb up than it took to slide down.

article-2130923-12A2023C000005DC-395_964x632.jpg

The rocking horse of six or seven kids was nasty - kids would bang their heads on the metal at the front of that and it made you feel sick.

As did the roundabouts.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
When I was about 12 we had a scandal because some bastard - never caught as far as I know - stuck razor blades between the ?zinc plates on the big slide in one of our parks.

Shit - it's still happening:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ched-to-childrens-slide-in-aughton-lancashire

Although those aren't actually razor blades, they are from an X-Acto knife. I know this because said knives were an essential tool when building balsa wood aeroplanes.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
We had them in two of the places I grew up in. Crush injuries were common but not as common as you'd think as kids got very skilled using them. When someone was pushing the hat inwards whilst spinning it you'd stand up and never sit and let your legs dangle on the inside.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Was that the long horsey thing that had six or seven seats on it and people tried to make it go as violently as possible? in my pre-teen days Southend Council used to just dump an old bus or fire engine in the corner of the playground, which would get systematically shredded over time. At least they took the windows out first.

Parents were different then - if you came back bleeding they'd patch you up while grumbling about getting the blood out of the nice new shirt or trousers or whatever that one was invariably wearing, and had equally unvaryingly been told to not get dirty. And then there was the iodine or TCP on the fresh wounds. I really don't know why anyone is surprised that so many of my generation think we are invincible - we have proved we are by still being here :)

Of course our parents had been through WW2 and all of them were familiar with sudden death. So anything short of actually losing a limb was pretty trivial.
I remember my Mum often picking bits of gravel out of my knees and then splashing TCP all over them :) .. some stand up comedian was talking about this a few years back "What's all this now with kids wearing elbow and knee pads of their bikes? .. when I was a kid, your scabs were your pads."

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score

Plenty of scrapes from one of these. And it was free!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Our park had a swing called 'The American' which was a huge wooden beam, about 20' long, suspended on metal rods, that moved like a battering ram. You need ten or more kids to get it going. Everyone knew stories about the kid who walked into it head-on...