• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oldboy

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This sounds great - I do have a bit of trouble getting friends to go and see serial killer/mass murer or Asian movies and this has them both but it sounds like some arm twisting might b in order:

Oldboy

Cert 18

Peter Bradshaw
Friday October 15, 2004
The Guardian

Don't let that title fool you. Nothing could be less English and clubbable than this horrifying new revenge thriller from Korea's new dark maestro Park Chan-wook, who gave us the stomach-churning Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and right about now is making the British and American offerings in this genre look pretty quaint. Oldboy has touches of Kafka, and echoes of British paranoia thrillers like The Ipcress File and The Prisoner. But it opens up a whole new sicko frontier of exotic horror, and more or less reduced my intestines to guacamole both times I watched it, not so much with its violence - although heaven knows there's a super-sized helping of that - but with a queasily ingenious imprisonment-torture impossible to contemplate without a prickling of cold sweat.

It's a movie that you feel you're not so much watching on screen as having beamed directly into your skull from some malign, alien planet of horror. I've seen thrillers where I identified with the bad guys, with the victims or with the cops. This is the first time I've fervently identified with a small, live octopus - of which, more in a moment.

Park's claustro-nightmare begins on a rainy night in Seoul in the late 1980s: a drunk and obnoxious guy called Oh Dae-su is forcibly detained in a police station waiting room for being drunk and disorderly. It is only when a long-suffering buddy turns up to vouch for him and pay off his bail that Dae-su is allowed out, but while his friend is calling his home from a pay-phone to explain what's happened, Dae-su is abducted and wakes up, locked in what appears to be a tatty hotel room.

The terrible truth dawns on him, and us, only slowly as Dae-su alternately screams with rage at his captors and pathetically pleads for mercy. Someone hates him so much that killing or maiming isn't good enough. They have engaged an underground criminal contractor offering the satanically horrible niche service of imprisonment: Dae-su is going to be locked up - for 15 years. He is fed, clothed and drugged so that he cannot try to kill himself, and apart from the TV he has only one means of passing the time: trying to guess who he has offended. And at the end of all this time - which we see pass on a montage of TV images: the Berlin wall, the Hong Kong handover, Princess Diana's death, South Korea's World Cup run - he is deliberately released and encouraged to seek out his tormentor for an Old Testament showdown of retribution.

Dae-su is played by Choi Min-sik, a heftily built presence last seen here playing an artist in Im Kwon-taek's period drama Drunk on Women and Poetry: the title of this could be Drunk on Hatred and Revenge. He has a massively ravaged and ruined face which in itself is fiercely expressive of unbearable, unassuageable emotion. His scarecrow features betoken an ecstatic embrace of madness: a belief that only in psychotic levels of hatred will he be able to summon up the necessary conviction for his survival and revenge.

Once on the outside, Dae-su finds himself in a Japanese sushi bar, befriended by a beautiful young woman, and this meeting ushers in the movie's most extraordinary scene, which must have given the BBFC censors some sleepless nights. In a flourish of self-hatred and self-laceration that Titus Andronicus might have admired, Dae-su orders a live octopus, and gobbles it all down as the unfortunate beast writhes and slithers around his chin - just to show the world what he is capable of. Later, his coldly silent confrontation with the underling jailer is blood-freezingly bizarre. Dae-su holds up a hammer and a white dotted line appears on the screen joining his weapon and his victim's face: flat-pack assembly- instructions for a theatre of violence. He then takes on dozens of aggressors, and Park's camera tracks along the narrow corridor watching the pitched battle in profile, right-to-left, like a video-game graphic or a Bayeux Tapestry of urban warfare: another extraordinary coup du cinéma .

His opponent turns out to be a smooth-mannered sociopath called Lee played by Yu Ji-tae, who in his own way has a magnificent face: so perfectly handsome, but with a touch of minatory knowingness. He is pure Bond villain, with his extravagant penthouse lair and a disability that is straight out of Ian Fleming. Lee has had a heart-bypass operation and carries a tiny remote control device which he says will turn off his pacemaker: he could commit suicide and Dae-su would never know why his life has been destroyed. When the answer to this riddle comes, it is somehow sickeningly convincing that it lies not in the grown-up world of crime or business, but the teenage world of school.

Oldboy certainly shows that it's Asia where the farthest reaches of extreme cinema are to be found, and the worst nightmare is that 15 years in prison, which leaves the numbed viewer wondering if that is an unspeakably long time - or perhaps an unspeakably short time in the nihilist wasteland Park conjures up. "What happens after you've revenged yourself?" wonders Dae-su. "I bet the hidden pain will come back." This is cinema that holds an edge of cold steel against your throat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review/story/0,,1326996,00.html

Had a Korean themed movie night last night: walnut cakes, bulgogi, chilli garlic sprouts and Oldboy.

Did you ever get to see it, Emps?

Has anyone else?

The octopus scene is totally top notch. Continually wiggling tentacles!

It actually plays out very much like Ichi the Killer (complete with self-slicing-off-of-tongue scene) crossed with Amelie, with very cool transition shots, classily shot fight scenes, a great soundtrack, and two hammer teeth extractions. Ultimately, the denouement was a bit of a let down after it being such a romp, but I think that's mostly because the reason for the revenge exacted upon Oh Daesu is so prosaic.

Park Chan-wook is currently making #3 of his revenge trilogy, uber harrowing Sympathy for Mr Vengeance being number one, with Oldboy continuing the theme.

Apparently, he was also offered a chance to remake The Evil Dead (although I'm not sure for what market), and while it seems a sacrilegious idea I would've loved to see where he'd taken it.

AsamiYamazaki said:
Had a Korean themed movie night last night: walnut cakes, bulgogi, chilli garlic sprouts and Oldboy.

Did you ever get to see it, Emps?

No not yet - I have reasonable backlog of films (hasn't stopped me from getting Witch From Nepal and I'm only just about restrianing myself from getting the Sevent Curse so.......) but it is certianly on my list.

AsamiYamazaki said:
Park Chan-wook is currently making #3 of his revenge trilogy, uber harrowing Sympathy for Mr Vengeance being number one, with Oldboy continuing the theme.

Yeah this was another reason I haven't seen it as I wanted to see SfMV first - I assume you'd recommend it first?

AsamiYamazaki said:
Apparently, he was also offered a chance to remake The Evil Dead (although I'm not sure for what market), and while it seems a sacrilegious idea I would've loved to see where he'd taken it.

Yep see here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 234#545234

I think it might have been interesting but I'd worry that it is part of Hollywood's fascination with Asian cinema with thinking like: "Hes a great director - what can we do with him?" kind of way.

You don't need to have seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance before Old Boy, they don't have much story in common, although Mr Vengeance left me cold, and Old Boy relied too much on a Tales of the Unexpected twist for my liking. Both very well made, though.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance has already been released in South Korea, but I don't know when we'll see it in the West.

Righto I've watched it now -awesome film with some fantastic memorable scenes. The octopus scene was amazing as was the corridor fight and the twists and turns were impressive.

All wound up in a beatifully shot package and excellently acted.

It has to sneak in there as one of my favourites. I'm just kicking myself for waiting so long ;)

Good price at Amazon at the moment though (£7.97) which is what I'd been waiting for:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006 ... ntmagaz-21

Its the R0 and is one of the best versions available:

www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5640

--------
I have just found out they are doing a remake:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/

Article (contain spoilers if you haven't seen the original):

www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19994

We'll have to wait and see.

Bought the Tartan release the day it came out, excellent film. The corridor fight scene is easily one of the best tracking shots ever.

Lovely, isn't it!

Am very fed up as was too lazy to get tickets for the Toronto film festy this year and now I find out that Lady Vengeance is showing.

I know I've watched too many extreme Asian movies when I can look at the octopus scene here and just go "Meh."

I highly enjoyed it, although I did see the twist coming pretty early on.
They sure glossed over his wife's murder, too.

I'm sure the American remake is going to be chock full of godawful Matrix-style special effects. Not only that, I can't imagine a American film studio actually having the gonads to keep the shocking twist. And if you take that away the entire story loses its effect.

Like most of I thought: "You know OldBoy is great and all but it could do with soem song and dance numbers" and like they plucked the diea from our minds there is a Bollywood ripoff version in he planning stages:

October 27, 2005

Now That I've Eaten Your Octopus ... I Dance!

(Posted In Asia Drama Film News Musical )

The Hollywood remake of Oldboy is old news by now, but what about the Bollywood one? Yep, it's coming. It's called Zinda and it's being made by the same director who made a Bollywood version of Reservoir Dogs that so angered the locals that they threatened to release venomous snakes into any theater that screened it. I'm not making that up. I find something about the idea of the hallway fight turning into a song and dance number strangely appealing. God bless you, Sanjay Gupta.

The official website is just a poster at the moment but you can find it here.

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/003964.html

Homepage:

www.zindathefilm.com

Now the teaser:

http://d.indiafm.com/videos/ram/05/zinda150.ram

Weird - its India's version of Jean Reno with Matrix music over it.

See discussion:
www.kaijushakedown.com/2005/11/trailer_for_bol.html

But don't worry there will be song and dance numbers (well at least one):

Sanjay Dutt to sing for Zinda

August 11, 2005, 4:27:31

After getting Boman Irani to render the title song in Home Delivery, music directors Vishal-Shekhar are now said to be working on another foot-tapping number, this time for their favourite maker Sanjay Gutpa, reports Bollywood Trade.

And word is that the duo is set to record the pulsating number in the voice of their favourite star-singer Sanjay Dutt for his forthcoming project Zinda.

"I didn't know the news was already out. Actually we wanted to spring a surprise on Sanjay Gupta. It is true we are planning to record another song in the voice of Dutt after tapping his voice in Kaante and Musafir," said Vishal.

www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/83632004.htm

There are new all singing and all dancing trailers online:

November 27, 2005
Indian OldBoy Learns to Sing! New Zinda Footage (Trailers + Promo Song)
(Posted In Action Asia Drama Film News Trailer Alert )

oldboyripoff.jpgEver had bizarre, twisted dreams about Park Chan-Wook's 올드보이 (Oldboy)? Like... Oh Dae-Soo walking down the street after the epilogue of the film, and prancing around with an umbrella a la Gene Kelly in 'Singing in The Rain'? Or Mido, telling Dae-Soo to stop the car because she's ready to sing that all important song, then magically appearing on top of a mountain, dancing to Punjabi top chart hits with 3,000 extras, elephants, fireworks and more?

Bollywood slickmaster Sanjay Gupta's new film Zinda lifts off most of the storyline from the Korean hit, adding Bollywood's usual flavour. Although it was promised the film would be song-less, a Music Video aired on the local version of MTV on November 20, to promote the film's January 13 release. The song, 'Yeh Hai Meri Kahani', features the top stars of the film Sanjay Dutt and John Abraham (who even sing for a bit), while Pakistani group 'Strings' sing. But no clips from the film...

... that is, unless you look at the newly released Trailers, on the now active Official Website. You can find more footage there, including a clip of the song, pictures, and more.

Judging by the trailers, this seems quite the rip-off, even down to the dumplings, but we'll get to know whether that's true or not soon enough. In the meantime, judge by yourself:

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004291.html

At:
www.zindathefilm.com

December 09, 2005

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance Available For Pre-Order Now!

(Posted In Asia DVD News Drama )

ladygeumja.jpgFinally! The Korean DVD release for Chan Wook Park's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is finally available for pre-order at YesAsia. The DVD started turning up on Korean sites last week but I've been waiting for it at YesAsia to dodge the hefty shipping fees that come with ordering elsewhere. YesAsia, on the other hand, ships out of the US and has a lovely Free Shipping offer. X has got all of the details of this edition here and it can be pre-ordered here. While you're at it you can also pick up the Korean editions of April Snow, Welcome to Dongmakgol and martial arts flick The Showdown. ***UPDATE *** YesAsia has just started taking pre-orders on the much less expensive HK release of Sympathy for LAdy Vengeance as well as the Korean edition. The HK is available here.

Korean:
Yes Asia (US)
Yes Asia (global)

HK:
Yes Asia (US)
Yes Asia (global)

Park sinks teeth in cyborg, vampire pics

Korean helmer to shoot off-beat rom-com in March and neckbiter movie in 2007

By DEREK ELLEY

LONDON — Hot South Korean helmer Park Chan-wook ("Old Boy," "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance") looks set to continue pressing the envelope in his next two pics — a love story set in a mental asylum and a modern-day vampire movie.

Park, in Europe attending tributes at the Thessaloniki and Stockholm fests, told Variety he'll start shooting his next movie, which he described as an "offbeat romantic comedy," in March, for fall '06 release. It's one of a series of eight pics funded by CJ EntertainmentCJ Entertainment, all shot on HD-24p by name helmers, including Hur Jin-ho and Ryu Seung-wan.

Story is centered on two inmates — a man, and a woman who thinks she's a cyborg. First draft of the script is already completed, though no English title has finally been decided on. Korean title ("Saibogeu jiman gwaenchanha") literally means "Even If You're a Cyborg, It's No Problem."

Budgeted at $2.5 million, pic will have "at least one big star and quite a lot of CG effects for the woman's fantasies," according to Park. Shooting will last three months, fairly rapid by modern-day South Korean standards.

Following that, Park confirmed his next production will the palindromic "Evil Live," starring popular thesp Song Gang-ho, from helmer's previous "JSA" and "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance." Story, which currently exists as a three-page treatment, is under tight wraps and could get the country's Catholic groups hot under their collars.

Park told Variety it's more "about the question of the existence of God and Evil" than a regular vampire movie.
"I'm not so interested in the vampire genre per se," he added, "more in the religious theme." However, he said he was a big fan of classic neckbiters, including Carl Dreyer's 1932 "Vampyr" and both versions of "Nosferatu."

Pic, whose Korean title, "Bakjwi," simply means "The Bat," will be produced via Park's own company, Moho Film, with CJ ponying up the $5 million budget. Shooting will start "sometime in '07," per director.

www.variety.com/article/VR1117933732?categoryid=19&cs=1

January 06, 2006

Rain/Bi to star in Park Chan-wook's 'I'm a Cyborg, but it's OK'

(Posted In Action Asia Comedy Film News )

Not being content with random appearances on local television programs K-pop music artist, Rain, or Bi, or whatever you want to call him, will join the cast of Park Chan-wook's next project, 'I'm a Cyborg, but it's OK' [Twitch here and here]. Shooting is scheduled to begin in March/April. While there is no clear indication that as to what role he will play it could be the role of a young boy that the main character meets in the mental hospital. To recap, the story of the movie is that a young girl believes that she is a combat cyborg and falls in love with a boy who thinks he can steal people’s souls with a machine he has created. What are the odds that Rain/Bi will be cast as that boy?

The chief of Rain’s management company JVP Entertainment, Hong Seung-song, says the fledgling actor’s schedule was already booked up for the year. "The reason Rain decided to make his screen debut with the movie lies partly in the reputation of the director and partly in his intention to establish himself as an actor with this work," he said. And when Asian entertainers seem to make the switch between musical performer and actor so effortless why wouldn't you welcome the idea of this? Okay. It doesn't always work but how many of you would jump through hoops of fire to work with a director the likes of Park Chan-wook [JSA, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Venegeance]?

Source: Chosun.com via AsianFanatics

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004718.html

Ok, i saw Oldboy lastnight in a Korean PC-Bang (like a video rental place with on-site mini-cinemas to rent).

I sorta enjoyed it. Stylistically and cinematography-wise it was fun and inventive but i just struggled to see what i was supposed to come away from the film with? What ethic was being promoted or statement made. I hope this doesn't sound daft but you usually get that from a successful film even if it offers multiple contadictory or questioninable readings or even if it's a moronic 'love conquers all' Hollywood cliche.

Any clues?

Twas obviously just me then...

I'm not sure about anyone else but I can't think I look out for an ethic or statement in films I watch - there may be some in there but...

The statement was that hypnosis solves all your problems. :lol:

Mighty_Emperor said:
StoryofE said:
The statement was that hypnosis solves all your problems. :lol:

Or incest = bad?

Or good if you don't know about it...

I wouldn't be asking if i didn't vaguely think it was trying to say something.

Probably nothing more than "be careful who you piss off". It's part of a revenge trilogy where the revenge is breeding nothing but sorrow for those involved, on either side, so that was presumably the theme. I say that without having seen the third part yet, mind you.

gncxx said:
Probably nothing more than "be careful who you piss off". It's part of a revenge trilogy where the revenge is breeding nothing but sorrow for those involved, on either side, so that was presumably the theme.

One thing that struck me (beyond the twists and turns) was that events from years ago you may not even remember may still be having impacts on people's lives today.

Back