• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oldest / Earliest Reference(s) To Ghosts?

rjmrjmrjm

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I just started wondering when the earliest mention of a ghost appears in literature. I distinctly remember translating and ancient Roman ghost story - Plinys Haunted House

Once upon a time there was a remarkable house in Athens. It was large and stately, but had a reputation for being unhealthy. Each night its residents would hear the clanking of chains. The noise would sound first in the distance but grow ever closer. After a while, a dirty old man would appear, emaciated, dishevelled, and unshaven. If you looked at his hands or feet you'd see the source of all the clamor -- they were in shackles.
The residents didn't sleep very well. Some even died from fear. Eventually the house was empty.

Finally, deserted, it remained quiet. When it was put up for sale no one was interested.

Then one day Athenodorus, the philosopher, came to town. He saw the FOR SALE sign on the house, learned the asking price, and asked a great many other questions.

No one held back on the horrific details, but still the philosopher decided to go ahead and buy the place.

That very evening, his first in the house, Athenodorus took a torch, stylus, and writing tablet to the front of his house. He let the slaves off for the night. Then he determined to keep himself busy writing because, he thought, an idle mind is the devil's playground.

At first, all was still. Then from afar came the rattling of chains. Stoically, Athenodorus didn't even bat an eye, but kept on writing. The sounds grew closer and closer.

Soon they were in the cottage....

Then they were in his very room....

At this Athenodorus laid down his stylus and looked up. There was the ghost. It beckoned him with a finger, but Athenodorus just took up his stylus again. When the philosopher heard the chains rattling above his head, he picked up his torch.

Slowly the ghost ambled to the door with Athenodorus close behind. As it reached an open area in the house, the ghost disappeared. Athenodorus grabbed a handy nearby clump of grass and placed it on the spot where the ghost had vanished.

The next day, Athenodorus called the magistrate. In his official capacity, he dug up the spot that had been marked. There they found chains and inside the chains, the bones of a man.

The magistrate gathered the bones for a proper burial. Never was the ghost heard from again.

Now Pliny scared the wits out of the Romans in the first century AD. Further googling reveals a story written by Cicero. He was around about 100 years earlier than Pliny. So both pretty old.

Do we have any earlier ghost stories, Babylonian, Egyptian? Could the mentions of 'spirits' in the Hebrew Torah be counted as ghost stories?

Not sure if this sits earlier in the time-line, but I remember reading somewhere that Aristotle was the first person to fake a haunting.

I think the story of when King Saul uses a medium to call up the ghost of the prophet samual predates plinny's account of the haunted house (the book of samual would have been writain down by the time of the jewish exile at the latest weather legend or a truthful account).

that indicates that by the time Saul is suposed to have been around that ghosts and storys of ghosts were already pretty prevelent in many cultures.

Heres the story: (King Saul has been having a spot of bother with David (he of golliah killing fame) and the various other ethnic groups and countrys around, he's anoyed God something rotten and the only one who could actully help him, the prophet samual, died a while back. Saul had all the mediums run out of the country or killed years ago, theres still one in Endor mind)

1st book of Samual chapter 28

Saul and the Witch of Endor

1 In those days the Philistines gathered their forces to fight against Israel. Achish said to David, You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army.
2 David said, Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do. Achish replied, Very well, I will make you my bodyguard for life.
3 Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had mourned for him and buried him in his own town of Ramah. Saul had expelled the mediums and spiritists from the land.
4 The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all the Israelites and set up camp at Gilboa.
5 When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart.
6 He enquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets.
7 Saul then said to his attendants, Find me a woman who is a medium, so that I may go and enquire of her. There is one in Endor, they said.
8 So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. Consult a spirit for me, he said, and bring up for me the one I name.
9 But the woman said to him, Surely you know what Saul has done. He has cut off the mediums and spiritists from the land. Why have you set a trap for my life to bring about my death?
10 Saul swore to her by the LORD, As surely as the LORD lives, you will not be punished for this.
11 Then the woman asked, Whom shall I bring up for you? Bring up Samuel, he said.
12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!
13 The king said to her, Don't be afraid. What do you see? The woman said, I see a spirit coming up out of the ground.
14 What does he look like? he asked. An old man wearing a robe is coming up, she said. Then Saul knew it was Samuel, and he bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground.
15 Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up? I am in great distress, Saul said. The Philistines are fighting against me, and God has turned away from me. He no longer answers me, either by prophets or by dreams. So I have called on you to tell me what to do.
16 Samuel said, Why do you consult me, now that the LORD has turned away from you and become your enemy?
17 The LORD has done what he predicted through me. The LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbours--to David.
18 Because you did not obey the LORD or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the LORD has done this to you today.
19 The LORD will hand over both Israel and you to the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also hand over the army of Israel to the Philistines.
20 Immediately Saul fell full length on the ground, filled with fear because of Samuel's words. His strength was gone, for he had eaten nothing all that day and night.
21 When the woman came to Saul and saw that he was greatly shaken, she said, Look, your maidservant has obeyed you. I took my life in my hands and did what you told me to do.
22 Now please listen to your servant and let me give you some food so that you may eat and have the strength to go on your way.
23 He refused and said, I will not eat. But his men joined the woman in urging him, and he listened to them. He got up from the ground and sat on the couch.
24 The woman had a fattened calf at the house, which she slaughtered at once. She took some flour, kneaded it and baked bread without yeast.
25 Then she set it before Saul and his men, and they ate. That same night they got up and left.

I don't have a coppy to hand but I'm sure there are shades of the dead in erm...what's it called...Gilamesh.

There's shades in The Odyssey anyway wich is earlier than Plinny.

There's a fragmentary tale of a ghost from Ancient Egypt, which complains that its tomb has been allowed to fall into ruin and no-one is making the offerings that it needs to endure in the after life.

At:
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/texts/ghost_story.htm

I think it's Middle Kingdom, but my book with this story is packed up.

LINK to the book about haunted Ancient Greece and Rome

Despite the apparent popularity of these tales in antiquity, few studies of ancient ghost stories exist, and little has been written about ghosts as folkloric or literary figures in antiquity. Because relatively few stories of any length have survived, researchers are left almost no context in which to analyze them. The corpus available for study seems limited, because the longer stories—such as those of Plautus, Pliny, and Lucian—are only a few paragraphs in length, whereas the majority of ghost stories are only a few sentences long.

Looks like there is a niche... now all I need is a publisher, access to the ancient manuscripts, a lot of money, oh... and a deep and lifetime long knowledge of dead languages.

rjm said:
Looks like there is a niche... now all I need is a publisher, access to the ancient manuscripts, a lot of money, oh... and a deep and lifetime long knowledge of dead languages.

all uselfull things to have :)

Early Ghosts

Anthropologists assure me that the original use of the tombstone, which runs well back of recorded history, was a large boulder rolled atop the grave to prevent the dead from coming back among the living.

If that's indeed the case, it would seem that even the earliest homo sapiens had a strong concept of either ghosts or vampires, or perhaps both.

Now if ghosts and vampires genuinely exist today (I find the evidence for the first compelling and for the second at least accumulating) they probablky had 'em then, too.

This ghost tale from the 19th / 20th Dynasty is commonly cited as the oldest known ghost story from ancient Egypt.
In 1915, Egyptologist Gaston Maspero published a translation of an ancient Egyptian ghost story, possibly set in Luxor (ancient Thebes, shown above), that was discovered on four pieces of pottery. In the story, a ghost of a mummified man tells a high priest of the god Amun about his current condition.

"I grew, and I did not see the rays of the sun. I did not breathe the air, but darkness was before me every day, and no one came to find me," the ghost says (translation by Maspero). ...

"The ghost seems to complain of some accident that has happened to himself or to his tomb, but I cannot make out what is the subject of his dissatisfaction," Maspero wrote. ...
SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/48515-10-haunted-house-ghost-stories.html

This story (known as "Khonsuemheb and the Ghost") is imperfectly documented on pottery or stone fragments and seems to date from circa 1100 - 1300 BCE.
The story, written during the 19th–20th Dynasty, is fragmentary due to the fact that it has been reconstructed from different ostraka which are now in Turin (Museo Egizio, n. S.6619), Vienna (Kunsthistorisches Museum, inv. n. 3722a), Paris (Louvre, n. 667+700) and two in Florence (National Archaeological Museum, n. 2616, 2617). The Turin fragment was the last to be discovered (in 1905 at Deir el-Medina by Ernesto Schiaparelli), thus Gaston Maspero in 1882 gave a different reconstruction of the tale. ...

The tale contains various obscure points which were and still are open to different interpretations. One of those concerns the identity of the two pharaohs claimed to be contemporary of Nebusemekh ...
FULL STORY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khonsuemheb_and_the_Ghost

One translation of the story is available at the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121029000301/http://skyview.vansd.org/bquestad/myth/egypt/ghost.htm

Fascinating video there, thanks for posting that up.

I'd typed a longer response, but I see now that today's video post has been moved to this thread. Never mind.

I'm finding the parallels between ancient Mesopotamian and modern ghost-belief particularly interesting though: the shared concept that a small minority of spirits of the deceased may return for unclear reasons, most often revealing themselves to family members, and that nuisance ghosts could be driven off with appropriate spells - rather like our concept of exorcism.

As per those referenced above, the majority of books I've read on the subject always seem to reference the earliest ghost stories as, variously, The Epic of Gilgamesh from Mesopotamia (c.2100-1200 BCE - specifically the wraith-like edimmu spirits of the unquiet dead, amongst many assorted demons and monsters featured) ; the Old Testament account of The Witch Of Endor raising the spirit of the Prophet Samuel through necromancy (1 Samuel Ch.28, Vs. 3-25 - c.800-700 BCE); and Pliny the Younger's tale of the philosopher Athenodorus Cananites, tormented by a chain-dragging spectre in his suspiciously cheap rented villa in Athens (c.100 CE). So it's incredible to learn that there are other written artefacts at the edge of recorded human history (~4,000 years ago) still coming to light.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for Dr. Finkel's book, hopefully due for publication this year; if it's anything like his video, it should be engaging as well as informative.

I wasn't aware of "Khonsuemheb and the Ghost" before today, either - lots of new stuff here. Interesting that ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian society seems to have considered meaningful contact between living persons and the deceased as not that unusual.

Back