• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Must be a spoof.

What's starting to get to me are those new(ish) hands free phones. I mean those which take the form of a microphone in each ear (with a slight downpinting protrusion which acts, I assume, as a microphone).

These are definitely a fashion fad as I cannot think, short of one being a member of some specail branch of the security services (in which case they would be better concealed), of what the practical utility of such communication devices would be. The message they send out is: `I'm so important, and busy, that I need to be contactable at all times, without the slightest delay!` And yet I have yet to see any of the wearers of these actually using them!

It's not a good look: they put one in mind of earings which are somehow in the wrong part of the ear.Also you also can't help speculating as to why the owner doesn't worry all the time about losing them.

They are just hypermodern status symbols and seem to play a compensatory funcion: I have yet to see a single attratctive person with them on.

No doubt I'll have to eat humble pie about this before very long: they'll probably become obligatory like many other Technological Advances which I was once sniffy about....

You also look deranged wandering down the street talking loudly to an imaginary friend (or ranting at an enemy)...

Ripped jeans were last years thing. These are the latest - look out for them in your town soon - & only $168:

Front

jeans.jpg

Rear

jeans3.jpg

You can’t come in. No jeans or trainers.

What's starting to get to me are those new(ish) hands free phones. I mean those which take the form of a microphone in each ear (with a slight downpinting protrusion which acts, I assume, as a microphone).

These are definitely a fashion fad as I cannot think, short of one being a member of some specail branch of the security services (in which case they would be better concealed), of what the practical utility of such communication devices would be. The message they send out is: `I'm so important, and busy, that I need to be contactable at all times, without the slightest delay!` And yet I have yet to see any of the wearers of these actually using them!

It's not a good look: they put one in mind of earings which are somehow in the wrong part of the ear.Also you also can't help speculating as to why the owner doesn't worry all the time about losing them.

They are just hypermodern status symbols and seem to play a compensatory funcion: I have yet to see a single attratctive person with them on.

No doubt I'll have to eat humble pie about this before very long: they'll probably become obligatory like many other Technological Advances which I was once sniffy about....

Do you mean bluetooth headsets or these:

mobvoi-ticpods-free-earbuds-2.jpg

^ Yes, exactly those! In my case, however, I would have a downer on any hands free microphone-in-ear type phone (unless used for driving ofr military or security purposes). It's telling the people around you to `sod off` just as much as wearing an ipod in public is, minus the latters excuse that you are only listening to a bit of music.

I do find it amusing that those ripped jeans still manage to have considerably better pockets than the majority of women's trousers.

Mr Zebra never fails to be amused when I can put on a complete outfit that I proudly proclaim has no pockets whatsoever.

Which inevitably means I have to ask him to carry my stuff in his pockets. Luckily he favours man-trousers which come with enough pockets for the two of us.

^ Yes, exactly those! In my case, however, I would have a downer on any hands free microphone-in-ear type phone (unless used for driving ofr military or security purposes). It's telling the people around you to `sod off` just as much as wearing an ipod in public is, minus the latters excuse that you are only listening to a bit of music.

They aren't microphones, they're wireless headphones. I believe Apple originally released them, under the brand name EarPods.

Do you mean bluetooth headsets or these:

mobvoi-ticpods-free-earbuds-2.jpg

I knew it!

Only just over a month after i'd first posted on this craze - when I'd seen maybe one or two of these `Earpods` (as I'm told they're called) - these have become ubiquitous.
To save me embarrasment in my dealings with Young People, can someoone explain to gramps here just...just what the point of them is exactly- and how does their usefulness compensate for their aesthetic risibility?

They definitely do have a phone function, as well as a music listening one, as I've seen people talking on them. Some people have only one in one ear whilst others -in for a penny in for a pound, I suppose - go for the full on double ear deafness effect.
And why aren't people worried about losing them?

Thus enlightened ,I will purchase my own pair - not to use mind you, but just to wear in order to Demonstrate my Solidarity With The Masses and my Willigness to Conform to Their Modernistic Aspiration to Scale New Heights in Consumerism and Cybernetic Interconnectedness!

They are wireless earphones, they came with the latest iPhone. There might well be a microphone embedded as well.

From the catwalk to... nowhere, hopefully.

It's daft but witty, in a way. I love the way the photographer has juxtaposed the much more ordinary footwear sported by attendees.

Meanwhile, I fear, the routine hipsters of Manchester have taken to wearing trousers - usually with turn-ups - which stop about three inches short of their shoes. The space between is occupied by a ribbed, white sock*.

The taunt for beanstalk-boys used to be, "Have your trousers fallen out with your shoes?"

*Horrid enough but at least it's not a "mankle"! :loopy:

It's daft but witty, in a way. I love the way the photographer has juxtaposed the much more ordinary footwear sported by attendees.

Meanwhile, I fear, the routine hipsters of Manchester have taken to wearing trousers - usually with turn-ups - which stop about three inches short of their shoes. The space between is occupied by a ribbed, white sock*.

The taunt for beanstalk-boys used to be, "Have your trousers fallen out with your shoes?"

*Horrid enough but at least it's not a "mankle"! :loopy:
My mum, who is French would say about the large gap between trousers and shoes 'There is fire on the woodenfloor' Il y a le feu au plancher.

I managed to spot my first Canada Goose coat the other day. No doubt I will start seeing millions now.

Apparently the Jojo Bow is annoying schools now. I remember the Fergie Bow in the 80s. My brother was given one as a joke as he had long hair. There was also a time where we wore quite large thick ribbons but I can't remember if they had a special name. I had three and I still have them!

Believing-ness? Come away now!

Well, the schools would go ballistic if the girls started to turn up wearing that,
2004-DS-1007-NOIRE-coiffe-alsacienne-tissu.jpg

Except, maybe, if they are from the Alsace....

Ladies - since this bag, at just the £462, is clearly a bit cumbersome,

2455.jpg

you'll be wanting to buy this one which isn't even large enough to carry a credit card - don't know the price..

3712.jpg

Maybe the second one is to carry a Minstrel, a la Alan Partridge.

Back