• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

On Not Actually Being That Keen On The Old Spring (Season)

Do you HONESTLY like the Spring?

• Total voters
The only difference is the tiny brained creatures now wear trainers

Reminds me of one young chap who would put his wheely bin out wearing only his boxer shorts. They were labeled ones...thing being though - there was a school across from his flat!

We've had a Tori Amos, a Dean Martin, Michael Jackson, Sinead O'Connor and for Kung-Fu fans a Jim Kelly at our company.

All name-a-likes as it goes.

Anyway back on topic,a little ditty from Noel Coward that suggests a casual link between Spring and bestiality:

The sun is shining where clouds have been,
Maybe it's something to do with Spring!
I feel no older than seventeen,

A feeling I can't express,
A sort of lilt in the air,
A lyrical loveliness
Seems everywhere, there!
That cow resembles a rural dean,

The Spring is here, dear,
Oh dear, oh dear, dear!
Can't you see
The simply agonising sheen
On every angry little tree?

You must admit it's rather fun
To think that every single thing
That nature ever does is over done!

You see exactly what I mean;
It all looks far too clean,
A badly painted scene,
The grass is far too green!

Perhaps there's something we have missed,
I never could have kissed
A sentimentalist!

Still, there's something in the atmosphere,
A sort of something, dear,
That makes me happy, dear.

The sun is shining where clouds have been,
I feel no older than seventeen,

A feeling I can't express,
A sort of lilt in the air,
A lyrical loveliness
Seems everywhere, there!
That sheep's expression is quite obscene,

I once worked with - well trained - a young guy called Elvis :p Beat that!

Thats surely worth a Tesco gift voucher ::

I sincerely hope I don't go to my grave never having met someone called Elvis. Just once, I'm not greedy.

I went to school with someone called Gorden Bennet ... his parent's must have had a cruel sense of humour .
Back in my student days, a friend of mine used to use that expression a lot, and I often wondered about the origin of it. Was it from a book or film, or was it some comedian's catch-phrase? (We can't blame the Interweb for it, because back then it hadn't been invented!)

I've read that it's the name of a 19th century English bishop, but more recently that an American journalist of that name brought it notoriety.

One of my favourite sayings, often accompanied by a sigh and a shaking of the head.

Back in my student days, a friend of mine used to use that expression a lot, and I often wondered about the origin of it. Was it from a book or film, or was it some comedian's catch-phrase? (We can't blame the Interweb for it, because back then it hadn't been invented!)

I think it was probably due to the football coach, I seem to remember someone telling me pre-internet it was something to do with football? ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bennett

I've read that it's the name of a 19th century English bishop, but more recently that an American journalist of that name brought it notoriety.
There was indeed a Scots-born American journalist of that name. He became wealthy, and his son of the same name was a rich and outrageous playboy. Father and son were both larger-than-life characters so both seem to have contibuted to the expletive Gordon Bennett! (But the son also sent Stanley to search for Dr. Livingstone...)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html

If I remember rightly from my one time obsession with airships, Gordon Bennett sponsored a major annual balloon race around the turn of the 20th century. Maybe that was back in the days when the sight of a balloon in the sky could still elicit amazement?

I once worked with - well trained - a young guy called Elvis :p Beat that!

Thats surely worth a Tesco gift voucher ::

I used to regularly have to ring a technical support line to speak to a very knowledgeable and helpful young man called Ringo. I really hope he was OK with this and didn't grow to hate his parents or anything.

I used to regularly have to ring a technical support line to speak to a very knowledgeable and helpful young man called Ringo. I really hope he was OK with this and didn't grow to hate his parents or anything.

Well that lad I knew of liked bar work and actually found that his name opened doors for him in relation to career choices. Nice chap too, not your normal innit type.

I do like the spring. It's strange because after you've been through the winter, you get so used to the bareness of everything that it seems amazing when it all suddenly bursts into life seemingly from one minute to the next. Happens every year but for some reason it always surprises me!

The summer is ok for a bit, but after a while I find it unbelievably tedious, especially if it's a really muggy type of summer, which is usually the case in the UK. Ditto with the increase in noisy twats at that time of year, and men who insist on walking around town with their shirt off. In fact, I probably enjoy summer the least, 'cos I'm always ready for a nice bit of blustery autumn weather and quite enjoy it when the days get shorter in winter and I can go home and be all cosy and look at twinkly lights. :)

Most people I know are the complete opposite - they go all mad and flappy in the summer and then spend the rest of the year with a face like a slapped arse, moaning because it's chilly and there's a bit of cloud in the sky. :p

I enjoy it :)

Not just because of this...

I do like spring, I watch for the different birds coming back, especially the swifts, it is nice to see the flowers and to plant seeds and watch them grow. But for some reason I too have a reverse sort of SAD. April and May are the worst time for me for depression and anxiety. I don't know why, maybe the rapidly lengthening days make me feel vulnerable. I like the dark.

Was this down the chip shop?

Sadly no, instead on a filthy and grim allotment site. He did get a job in a nightclub as a barman...if i remember correctly. His name pulled in the ladies too :)

I used to (vaguely) know an Elvis once.
Years ago, I made the mistake of buying a house on a dodgy estate in Peterborough. There was a bunch of out-of-control kids with destructive tendencies on that estate, and Elvis (aged about 10 I'd guess) used to piss me off by drop-kicking my front door. Then he'd shout at me. His normal speaking voice was shouting, which led me to believe he wasn't right in the head. Mind you, his aged grandparents were bringing him up, and maybe he had to yell to get heard.
Sad, I know, but I suspect he eventually got into trub with the law. He was always trying to break into my house.

I used to regularly have to speak to a particular tech support team. The very jolly young chap who usually answered the phone was called Ringo. I have yet to encounter an Elvis in the wild...a couple of Dylans, but no Elviseses.

I used to (vaguely) know an Elvis once.
Years ago, I made the mistake of buying a house on a dodgy estate in Peterborough. There was a bunch of out-of-control kids with destructive tendencies on that estate, and Elvis (aged about 10 I'd guess) used to piss me off by drop-kicking my front door. Then he'd shout at me. His normal speaking voice was shouting, which led me to believe he wasn't right in the head. Mind you, his aged grandparents were bringing him up, and maybe he had to yell to get heard.
Sad, I know, but I suspect he eventually got into trub with the law
. He was always trying to break into my house.

Deep, humiliating trub??

A friend of my mum's lived with and cared for her very hard-of-hearing mother for many years and can now only speak at enormous volume. She's not a 'loud' person, just so accustomed to shouting that she can't help herself. When my mum is speaking to her on the phone it's like she's in the room with you. Screaming in your face :)

I'm not defending young Elvis - he sounds like a twat.

This is not my work, or my sentiments! winter.jpg

Back