• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

On the Lifting of Curses

Krepostnoi

Increasingly disenchanted
It is safe to say that the Krepostnoi household is going through something of a rocky patch, just now. We have suddenly and fairly unexpectedly gone from having an idyllic existence in Malaysia to being destitute and without regular employment. We have had a major rupture with my other half's mother, which has had knock-on effects on our relationships with other family members (we have had to cancel our planned visit to my newly-born nephew and namesake, for example) and we have had our suspicions over our younger daughter's behavioural issues confirmed by expert diagnosis (we obviously still love her as much as ever, but it is new information to digest). Meanwhile, my other half's business partner, with whom she was in the process of parting ways, has suddenly and unexpectedly made large financial demands. It is, as they say, all happening.

Now, a week or so ago, my mother-in-law was babysitting for my other half while she was working in Russia, and, without going into detail, things happened. In the aftermath, my mother-in-law roundly cursed my other half, in the literal sense of the word: invoking specific misfortunes upon her. Aside from our Malaysian misfortunes, the other tribulations have happened since (and that week was the immediate cause of the family rupture). It should be noted that my mother-in-law has an idiosyncratic grasp on reality, and manages to balance a belief in magic with her up-and-down professions of faith in the Orthodox Church. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that she might also have sought, prior to this, ways of bringing our South-East Asian sojourn to a premature end: you may remember on the whinge thread I bemoaned the arbitrary nature of Malaysian immigration decisions - the decision in question occurred on a date of significance to my other half and her mother.

The interesting thing is that I would not have described myself as much of a believer in curses. And yet, this seems to be a particularly emphatic run of bad luck. Yes, it could just be how the dice rolled this turn, or the consequences of decisions we took in the past that weren't perhaps optimal. But the verbal cursing as described to me carried force, and venom, and ill intent, and I see no harm in attempting to do something ourselves to counteract that and reclaim our own luck and freedom of action. So can anyone suggest courses of action or rituals or people that might be successful in lifting curses, or shifting luck, or bringing better fortune our way? In short, how can we restore some balance to our lives just now?

In addition, if any of you might be inclined to do so, any positive thoughts or blessings or prayers you may wish to direct our way would be very gratefully received.

Good grief. You have my admiration and respect. The ties that bind are always the tightest. I shall hope for you....I always have believed that honest hope beats vacuous prayer, every time.

Remain as strong as you have been: everything is only as bad as we let it bite. And remember- you own your own surroundings. Remind the universe that, every so often. And keep using the Board as a shield and a guide.....

I'm sorry that your family has been going through a bad patch, Krepostnoi. I wish you all the best as you work your way through this unpleasantness.

I offer the following prayer as a shield against the darkness of this world:
http://www.prayerfoundation.org/st_patricks_breastplate_prayer.htm

You may already be familiar with it as a hymn:

Blessings to you and your family. We are here for you.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry that your family has been going through a bad patch, Krepostnoi. I wish you all the best as you work your way through this unpleasantness.

Thank you. It's interesting that you should invoke St Patrick: I am currently - and uncharacteristically - in Dublin.

Thank you. It's interesting that you should invoke St Patrick: I am currently - and uncharacteristically - in Dublin.

As you are still based in Malaysia, have you thought of help in the form of a blessing from the Buddhists or Taoists?

I know you have to be a bit careful over there.

The other option is to seek help in Russia I guess not sure how you'd go about finding a Shaman.

If you are in Britain, find yourself a witch and have a chat - it can't hurt.

It is safe to say that the Krepostnoi household is going through something of a rocky patch, just now. We have suddenly and fairly unexpectedly gone from having an idyllic existence in Malaysia to being destitute and without regular employment. We have had a major rupture with my other half's mother, which has had knock-on effects on our relationships with other family members (we have had to cancel our planned visit to my newly-born nephew and namesake, for example) and we have had our suspicions over our younger daughter's behavioural issues confirmed by expert diagnosis (we obviously still love her as much as ever, but it is new information to digest). Meanwhile, my other half's business partner, with whom she was in the process of parting ways, has suddenly and unexpectedly made large financial demands. It is, as they say, all happening.

Now, a week or so ago, my mother-in-law was babysitting for my other half while she was working in Russia, and, without going into detail, things happened. In the aftermath, my mother-in-law roundly cursed my other half, in the literal sense of the word: invoking specific misfortunes upon her. Aside from our Malaysian misfortunes, the other tribulations have happened since (and that week was the immediate cause of the family rupture). It should be noted that my mother-in-law has an idiosyncratic grasp on reality, and manages to balance a belief in magic with her up-and-down professions of faith in the Orthodox Church. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that she might also have sought, prior to this, ways of bringing our South-East Asian sojourn to a premature end: you may remember on the whinge thread I bemoaned the arbitrary nature of Malaysian immigration decisions - the decision in question occurred on a date of significance to my other half and her mother.

The interesting thing is that I would not have described myself as much of a believer in curses. And yet, this seems to be a particularly emphatic run of bad luck. Yes, it could just be how the dice rolled this turn, or the consequences of decisions we took in the past that weren't perhaps optimal. But the verbal cursing as described to me carried force, and venom, and ill intent, and I see no harm in attempting to do something ourselves to counteract that and reclaim our own luck and freedom of action. So can anyone suggest courses of action or rituals or people that might be successful in lifting curses, or shifting luck, or bringing better fortune our way? In short, how can we restore some balance to our lives just now?

In addition, if any of you might be inclined to do so, any positive thoughts or blessings or prayers you may wish to direct our way would be very gratefully received.

Oy vey. That's awful, Krepostnoi. So sorry for your misfortunes. :grouphug:

That reading I did for you last November - I recall there being a thread of potential trouble and deception running through it. You may want to have another look at it and see if anything relates to your current situation. Here:
A request dressed up as an experiment

As for curses and curse removal...while many say that a curse won't affect a person who doesn't believe in it, I personally think that kind of malice aimed at a person might affect them regardless, even if it's unconsciously. And some do seem to have a knack for cursing.

Did the curse seem based specifically in your mother-in-law's culture? If that's the case, perhaps the technique used to remove it might be most successful if it also comes from the same culture.

Then again, I did once have (well, still do) an enemy who, for a time, was constantly throwing curses at me. Sorry if that sounds nutty, but it's true. She wasn't exactly shy or quiet about it. She was Greek Orthodox, but this did not seem to interfere with her whipping up all manner of (purported) supernatural vengeance. It was actually this situation that led me to believe curses could be effective. I didn't really believe it until then.

Since I really knew nothing about her religion or how it might relate to curses, I used methods that were familiar, like using an ofuda, which worked well. Whether it worked because I believed in it or because of some power of its own is a matter of debate, but I feel it did work. I used other methods too, to greater or lesser effect. The ritualistic aspect of the curse removal may have had something to do with its success. If (as some say) the curse only affects the unconscious mind, perhaps going through the ritual of removing it is what the unconscious needs to dispel it.

Or...perhaps it really is blast of negative energy that needs to be blasted back with a greater power, whatever that might mean to you.

Good luck, whatever happens. Hope you find your way out of these troubles soon.

As you are still based in Malaysia, have you thought of help in the form of a blessing from the Buddhists or Taoists?

I know you have to be a bit careful over there.

The other option is to seek help in Russia I guess not sure how you'd go about finding a Shaman.

If you are in Britain, find yourself a witch and have a chat - it can't hurt.

Never got around to reading it.

Psychic self defense?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1...578631513&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Yup. If you're susceptible to spiritual influence, fight fire with fire. Pray to the saints.

First off Krepostnoi I am deeply upset to to hear of the crappy times you're going through. I'm really sorry. The universe is a funny old place and sometimes you get dealt really crap hands. I'm a fairly big believer that these cards are dealt pretty much at random or at least with an order and significance that we can never understand. Just as a crap hand is dealt though, there will be better hands being shuffled already, in preparation to be dealt in the future.

Please remember that curses do work. But on one condition. The cursed must believe that they work. And then they do. Incredibly successfully.

Personally - in my darkest times, and there have been many, I have found the writings of Julian of Norwich deeply comforting and strengthening. I'm lucky in that I can go to her cell and spend time there. Prayer, meditation- all have helped. Lots of gratitude prayers. Even when we believe we have nothing to be grateful for we really do. Focusing on these actively and with discipline, I think, counteracts the negativity and can alter what's going on around you positively. This can literally become magical. Prayer and meditation with discipline are magical acts. And magic works.

I wish you and your family all the very best. It can be hard to see but, as Julian wrote- all shall be well and all shall be well. If you need anything, even if it's just a stranger's ear to let some crap out to, you know how to get hold of me.

Lots of love.

all%2Bshall%2Bbe%2Bwell.jpg

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I'm not a believer but I get spiritual strength from Paganism.

May The Morrigan watch over you.

Morrigú!

Morrigú!

Morrigú!

Best of Luck. If curse charms work, I hope luck charms work.

Attachments

• sizHorseshoe_lucky_on_door.jpg
    sizHorseshoe_lucky_on_door.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 11
  • fingers.jpg
    fingers.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 12
Can you remember exactly what she said and in what language?

Blimey Krepostnoi - difficult times indeed. Why in the great scheme of things do life's challenges hit us several at a time? Remains a mystery to me. Just rereading Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island . One of his suggestions for not being unhappy :-" You are alive. For the tiniest moment in the span of eternity you have the miraculous privilege to exist. For endless eons you were not. Soon you will cease to be once more. That you are able to sit here right now in this one never to be repeated moment....... doing whatever you are doing- just existing- is really wondrous beyond belief." Food for thought. As my old mum use to say Everything - good or bad- comes to an end eventually. I truly hope that you can overcome these things.

As my old mum use to say Everything - good or bad- comes to an end eventually. I truly hope that you can overcome these things.

And of course she was right.

As the Buddhists say- "everything is transient, nothing is permanent". Good times, bad times- they are all just fleeting.

Sorry to hear about this, Krepostnoi.
I'm a bit taken aback by the idea that a mother would curse her own daughter and son-in-law.
Sending you good thoughts and hoping you can find somewhere more secure to live.

The aspect of curses brings back a story my mother used to tell me about her father who had a farm in the 20's and 30's. He was regularly approached by gypsies who he tried to help if he could, although money was very tight given the era. In return they did some work for him occasionally. There was one particularly obnoxious elderly female gypsy who regularly tried to blag a lamb off him. He refused since at the time a lamb was worth quite a lot of money. On the last refusal she literally started screaming and cursed him "for eternity". Being totally down to earth he called his 3 sheepdogs. All 3 were siblings and all had wall eyes which gypsies were terrified of. The woman was rooted to the spot and he refused to call off his dogs until she "lifted" the curse which she did immediately and scuttled off. He never saw the gypsies again. Sometimes fighting fire with fire(within reason) does work.

My 18 yr old niece has just been allowed to continue her 6th Form classes after her and her parents were summoned to the school for her to sign...a statement that she isn't a witch, and that any death curse that may have been placed on any classmate is now lifted! (No, I can't work out how they want her to lift a curse if she isn't a witch, but there you go)
I shit you not, they are deadly serious, this is the heart of England 2017, and she's a normal, white, working class lass, not a Goth or a loner with a penchant for the occult and pentagrams (like I was when I was there, many years ago), just an ordinary kid.
Apparently, one of her classmates became convinced my dear niece had placed a "death curse" on her, was too terrified to go to school and fell ill. My niece denies putting a curse on anyone, though she may follow the family tradition (cough) of being quick, gobby, and competent at making someone feel like shit with one well-observed withering comment. I can't say for certain, but the rest of us are pretty good at it, haha.

Personally, I can't believe her parents actually went through with it - I'd have just told the school to tell the other party to man up or fuck off and die - but they just want their daughter to get on with her A-levels with as little fuss as possible.
I am thinking of stirring it a bit though, by writing to the school and accusing them of discrimination against witches, if she were one, she should be allowed to practice, surely? I think they need to be open on their policy towards all faiths, and I'm the kind of idiot to put the cat among the pigeons. I'm sorely tempted to try and see if I can induce full-on hysteria, hehe.
When I was there, everyone went to Assembly and sang "Onward Christian Soldiers", even the 2 Sikhs, if anyone complained of a death curse, it would have been caned out of them. Better days, I say.

Sorry to be flippant about all this curse business, OP, I hope you sort it all out.

That's awful. The self-diagnosed cursee now knows how to stir up trouble at will. If her friends hear about it, things'll go full Crucible on the school's ass.

That's awful. The self-diagnosed cursee now knows how to stir up trouble at will. If her friends hear about it, things'll go full Crucible on the school's ass.
^this^ If you pander to a shit-stirrer they've won. What a ridiculous situation, my sympathies @LordRsmacker

A good tactic might have been to say, "Sure we'll sign it and then we'll send a copy to every newspaper in a 100 mile radius, the LEA, the minister for education and we'll name names...or, here's an idea, you could NOT pander to miss 'I wanna be the center of attention'."

Might have worked. Who knows? *facepalms*

They wanted to get it over with so their girl could get back to school and do her exams. As soon as that's all out of the way they should threaten go to the papers. I bloody would. Get an retraction/apology, at least.

As teenagers at high school my friends and I had a fad for buying and selling each other's souls. We drew up little scrolls, all nicely written and decorated, and pinned them on the class noticeboards. They were soon ripped down and we were told not to do it again.

Nobody really thought we'd done any real trading and there were no letters home. It was just a bit of adolescent silliness.

I'm wondering if LordRsmacker's niece's alleged victim is a member of an ethnicity that believes in such things, although he says it happened in deepest England so maybe not. Or someone's been doing some inappropriate reading. Wherever, it's a dangerous precedent for silly kids to be seeing.

They wanted to get it over with so their girl could get back to school and do her exams. As soon as that's all out of the way they should threaten go to the papers. I bloody would. Get an retraction/apology, at least.

Watch this space. As soon as she's sat her exams...I'm definitely going to strike. Alas, with the way kids are so twitchy about A levels these days, I daren't rock the boat just yet - her mother wouldn't put a death curse on me, she'd just come round and beat me to death if I caused any fuss. I WILL push this further though, if only to highlight the utter inanity of it all - why was my niece kept from school instead of the "cursee" who obviously has some problems that are only going to burst forth the next time she feels she's been given the Evil Eye?
Fuckwittery, on an epic scale, I didn't actually believe it when told, it's one of those "You couldn't make it up" tales so cherished by Littlejohn & Co.

Maybe it's an insurance policy in case the cursee's exam results are poor. She doesn't believe the cursing rubbish either, or as you say, it's a mental issue. If she can cause a stink the school will back her to keep things quiet.

After the exams are over let us hope all Hell breaks loose, for real this time. :evil:

My 18 yr old niece has just been allowed to continue her 6th Form classes after her and her parents were summoned to the school for her to sign...a statement that she isn't a witch, and that any death curse that may have been placed on any classmate is now lifted! (No, I can't work out how they want her to lift a curse if she isn't a witch, but there you go)
I shit you not, they are deadly serious, this is the heart of England 2017, and she's a normal, white, working class lass, not a Goth or a loner with a penchant for the occult and pentagrams (like I was when I was there, many years ago), just an ordinary kid.
Apparently, one of her classmates became convinced my dear niece had placed a "death curse" on her, was too terrified to go to school and fell ill. My niece denies putting a curse on anyone, though she may follow the family tradition (cough) of being quick, gobby, and competent at making someone feel like shit with one well-observed withering comment. I can't say for certain, but the rest of us are pretty good at it, haha.

Hugely puzzled on so many different levels.

Sorry but I have always had a pretty dim view of schools and how they go about stuff but this performance just about takes the biscuit. I would have refused to sign such unadulterated rubbish or signed it "Mickey Mouse" but that's just me I guess and I accept the parents were put on the spot. The school has set themselves up for total public humiliation and quite frankly they deserve it. Stick it to them good LordR smacker - one word of warning though don't bother with the school's or Local Authority complaints procedures, they are entirely designed to cover complaints up. I found this out when trying to remove a violent paedophile teacher from a local school - I got threatened and allsorts- but they all got humiliated in the end.

I would have refused to sign such unadulterated rubbish...

Who would have?

And how would anyone thinking they have a leg to stand on making such an accusation? Makes no sense at all.

You can just see the headlines "Head teacher accuses pupil of witchcraft"- it defies any form of sense whatsoever, but then I take the view that common sense is no longer in education's vocabulary.

Back