• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Online Fortean Groups

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
There are a numbe rof online fortean groups - this forum for example and several groups yahoo.
But which groups are good and which are worth joining?
If we could post info about groups it would help us avoid the poor one - any suggestions?
At yahoo we have the Forteana list - a general fortean list with a good bit of chat thrown in as well - recommended.
Also at yahoo we have the Fort list - less chat than the above, much more focussed for Fortean stories. Also recommended.
Another yahoo group is the Fortean Book Reviews list - it does what it says on the label. As the Emperor has announced elsewhere there is a tie in with this group and the Forum to exchange information to allow people to sort out which books are worth pursuing. Recommended (I feel I should declare an interest as this is my group).

Any others to recommend or avoid?

Gordon
I've been told I should post more to the Forum :)

I've been told I post far too much so I'm saying nothing. ;)

...but while I'm here! Avoid a "group" called ASUFORA - Anglo Scottish UFO Research Agency (ha!). It is just one guy who wants a huge flourishing organisation and would like everyone else to do all the work for it. In its current incarnation it is a Yahoo group but it may take another form soon if someone else does the work.. ;)

PS. I never got caught out by it, it was er.. a friend!

There's one on StumbleUpon which could do with a few more members.

I used to peruse the pages at 'Obi-Wan Paranormal' quite frequently until, for some reason, the site underwent a huge overhaul with virtually all posts prior to this year being purged, and all old memberships deleted. It was a site that was somewhat credulous in it's seeming acceptance of the 'paranormal' for virtually every poster's claimed experience, but quite a good clearinghouse for local or 'regional' supernatural encounters ( imagine one website entirely devoted to 'It Happened To Me' first-person narratives ).

Fantastic Reality

One group which people either love or hate is Mike Mott's [email protected].

It was originally set up as a haven to which Forteans of religious orientation (not neccessarily Judaeo-Christian) could repair, an oasis for those of us who tend to avoid bringing up our personal faith(s) on Fort, Forteana or here. But atheists are certainly not turned away.

Such noted Forteans as T. Peter Park, Terry Colvin and Kelly McGuinness regularly hold forth there, and even Theo Paijmans on occasion.

Confused

Is it neccessary to dowload the Mozilla browswer in order to sign on to the StumbleUpon Forums? When I attempt to join, I'm taken to a page to download the StumbleUpon extension to Mozilla, which requires the previous installation OF Mozilla.

www.ignorancedenied.com
Link is dead.

I sometimes take a look in here.(It's part of the ATSNN)
Apologies for not being able to link it...
*Edited to say-it is blimmin well linked,but not by me.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if it should be described as Fortean as such, but www.barbelith.com (which i think i accidentally discovered thru a link somewhere on the FT site, actually) has some very good discussions on some very eclectic and esoteric topics... it's a difficult "community" to be accepted into tho (i currently can't join because i don't have a blog and have the wrong type of email address :( ) but even as a lurker it's kind of interesting...

of course for the specific subject of cryptozoology there's

www.cryptozoology.com
Site is MIA.

...tho i'd categorise most of the people there as rationalists (with a few strongly religious exceptions) rather than strictly speaking fortean in inclination...

"Cosmic Joker" Website, Looking for a Link to

I saw a link here on the boards to a Fortean/UFOlogical website entitled "Cosmic Joker" which seemed full of fascinating-looking articles, but I somehow flubbed saving the link to my desktop and I can't seem to find it through Google. Can somebody please re-supply the link?

Thanks.

Re: "Cosmic Joker" Website, Looking for a Link to

OldTimeRadio said:
I saw a link here on the boards to a Fortean/UFOlogical website entitled "Cosmic Joker" ... I can't seem to find it through Google

How odd, as I actually came to this thread to ask if anyone else thinks that Stumbleupon has gone drastically downhill recently. You used to be guaranteed an interesting and new link every couple of stumbles, but now - at least in the Paranormal categories - there are far too many incomplete, irrelevant or pointless sites. Some kind of Fortean directory is badly overdue, I think. And by Fortean, I don't mean an all-encompassing paranormal directory. I really mean Fortean: ie Magonia rather than James Randi on the one hand or Steven Greer on the other.

Are there any real world Fortean 'dining' groups etc in London? Good ones I mean! Interesting folk etc.

I stopped using my StumbleUpon button after a while because it just kept throwing up the same sites over and over and it got bloody boring. Also, I've switched to Camino and I don't think there's a toolbar for that...? *runs to check*

Re: "Cosmic Joker" Website, Looking for a Link to

graylien said:
OldTimeRadio said:
I saw a link here on the boards to a Fortean/UFOlogical website entitled "Cosmic Joker" ... I can't seem to find it through Google

How odd, as I actually came to this thread to ask if anyone else thinks that Stumbleupon has gone drastically downhill recently.

And as graylien is being understated I'll say the link youa re looking for is in his profile - namely:

http://graylien.buildtolearn.net

------------
And a Fortean links directory is a good idea - we have this thread:

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3607
Link is obsolete. The current link is:

Wired for Weird
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/wired-for-weird.3607/

and this:

forteantimes.com/links/forteana.shtml
Link is dead.

If you have any other ideas or things to throw in our want to try soemthing different then let us know and we'll see what we can do.

This is a really good up and coming community for the occult and paranormal.

orderofwatchers.com
Link is dead.

Another one of my faves is:

occultforums.com
Link is obsolete. It redirects to:

http://occultcorpus.com/forums/

orderofwatchers said:
This is a really good up and coming community for the occult and paranormal.http://www.orderofwatchers.com

O. W., your site does indeed seem genuinely interesting and worthwhile, but please note that clicking on your main "register' button results merely in a "Not Found/404" error message. You'll want to correct this.

However, the smaller "register" link at the upper right DOES work and I've successfully registered.

But I was a little amused by the topic title "Christianity AND Catholicism." The last time I read ESSENTIAL CHRISTIANITY and THE KINGDOM OF THE CULTS by the respected Protestant theologian the late Dr. Walter Martin both Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox Catholicism were both still considered Christian.

Thank you for pointing them faults out OldTime, they have no been resolved.

Again thanks.

Whoops!

OW/Osiris, when I receive email replies to my Order of Watchers postings I can't open them! I receive that same darn "Not Found/404" error message.

HALP!

Re: Whoops!

OldTimeRadio said:
OW/Osiris, when I receive email replies to my Order of Watchers postings I can't open them! I receive that same darn "Not Found/404" error message.

HALP!

If you could copy and past one of the emails on the site suggestion section of my site, blocking out your email i will see if i can fix it.

Two forums I've not yet seen mentionered here are the one at UnexplainedMysteries.Com and also ParaTalk.Com.

The former may actually contain more postingcs than here at FTMB. But many have a "gee whiz" approach that's rather off putting. Far too many of the posts seem to concern RPGs and comics or even "Could GalaxyWarrior defeat UniverseMan in a fair fight - and what super-weaponry would they both use?"

But, again, the sheer volume is enormous and there's much good material to mine through.

The second forum doesn't have all that many postings yet, but what's there is most worhwhile.

Gordon

I'd like to thank FTMB, and specifically Gordon Rutter, for even including this topic.

There are several other Fortean/Paranormal forums where the TOS state clearly that you WILL be banned for even mentioning other forums, let alone recommending them. ("Let 'em find their own darn audience," seems to be the attitude.)

That's one heck of a counterproductive attiitude.

P. S. One of the things you learn in the used book trade is that the more used book stores you have in any given retail neighborhood, the better EVERYBODY does.

I dont suppose there any groups with fringe scientists out there interested in guinea pigs ?

At this point I'd even consider transhumanist movements , or garage nanotechs if I thought theyd help.

If there were others about , unless they kicked the bucket already , Id really be interested in networking regardless of the anomaly they had.

I'm a member of the AboveTopSecret boards, I would recommend them. I'm also part of a new site called Random Strangeness, I won't post the link in case I infringe any Ts&Cs. On some sites that is quite frowned upon I gather. :oops:

Maleficence said:
I won't post the link in case I infringe any Ts&Cs. On some sites that is quite frowned upon I gather.

Fortunately the Fortean Times Message Board Forum doesn't seem to be one of those.

Those Fortean and Paranormal web forums which tremble and sputter and franticize whenever anybody dares mention that there are other discussion lists in the field surely can't feel very secure about their own audience.

Indeed sharing such information seems to be the very reason for this particular thread's existence.

OldTimeRadio said:
Maleficence said:
I won't post the link in case I infringe any Ts&Cs. On some sites that is quite frowned upon I gather.

Fortunately the Fortean Times Message Board Forum doesn't seem to be one of those.

Those Fortean and Paranormal web forums which tremble and sputter and franticize whenever anybody dares mention that there are other discussion lists in the field surely can't feel very secure about their own audience.

Indeed sharing such information seems to be the very reason for this particular thread's existence.

Amen

Interesting links but nothing useful as far as a genuine group interseted in fortean offshots like medical anomalies.

I have been reader of this magazines on and off now since 95 , my favourite one out there , just pity there wasnt other more geared towards other things.

Cranionaut, if there's not already a "medical anomalies" thread here on the FTMBs (I've not yet searched) you're more then welcome to establish one and I'm reasonably certain that many members of the congregation will have interesting items to contribute to it.

OldTimeRadio said:
Cranionaut, if there's not already a "medical anomalies" thread here on the FTMBs (I've not yet searched) you're more then welcome to establish one and I'm reasonably certain that many members of the congregation will have interesting items to contribute to it.

Well I'm sure it might attract some interest , examples of freaks or telekentic abilities so on but I was Ideally looking for others who had something less obvious or at least cliched.

Im assuming , like me , there are others in strange positions that dont quite fit into being classic fortean / paranormal or conventional science .

If there are though I cant find them , its not as though I expect them to hang out together but youd think if they were around they'd be looking in same sort of places as me sometimes for answers.

Back